Thread: Outlast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I thought it was a pretty good horror game, however, at some point the monsters become more annoying than scary. By the time I was 3/4 in the game, I just stopped running away from them and searched for my objective while they were chasing me.
    The most manly trailer ever made!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJDmP2crAlk

Bought this game on a whim when it was on sale on steam. Completed it a few weeks ago. Yes it is a creepy game and the jumpscares are genuinely jumpy but when you get into the later stages of the game you become somewhat accustomed to the monsters and they loose some of their scare factor (Just gonna say no spoilers but the kitchen part gave me the biggest jumpscare, anyone whose completed it will know what i mean )

On the whole i really did enjoy this game and im not a massive horror fan. Would definatley recommend you play this game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turin View Post
    Honestly, I thought it was a pretty good horror game, however, at some point the monsters become more annoying than scary. By the time I was 3/4 in the game, I just stopped running away from them and searched for my objective while they were chasing me.
    The three that are consistently scaring me are the big 'piggy' guy and those creepy twins. Those fucking twins ugh...
    I'm at the point where you are trying to escape from a shower room and you get to a window. One of the twins appears in front of you, which obviously freaked me out. So I start backing away and the next thing I know the other twin puts his blade through me. I swear I could feel it...I immediately alt tabbed out and haven't returned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    The three that are consistently scaring me are the big 'piggy' guy and those creepy twins. Those fucking twins ugh...
    I'm at the point where you are trying to escape from a shower room and you get to a window. One of the twins appears in front of you, which obviously freaked me out. So I start backing away and the next thing I know the other twin puts his blade through me. I swear I could feel it...I immediately alt tabbed out and haven't returned.
    Ahaha the twins are my favourite monsters. Though I didn't notice that event. Apparently I did it right from the first time. Lucky me ^^
    The most manly trailer ever made!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJDmP2crAlk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turin View Post
    Ahaha the twins are my favourite monsters. Though I didn't notice that event. Apparently I did it right from the first time. Lucky me ^^
    I looked it up just for you. Apparently pewdiepie had the same reaction as me.

I really enjoyed this one. Although not much replayability but was worth the $15. My friend was constantly jumping and he had 4 joints in his system when he was playing. He texted me 2 days later "my balls finally dropped from my pussy"

I'M SO HYPED. Outlast opened the doors to horror games for me. Never gave the genre a second thought until I decided to play this gem. Since then my library has opened up to Amnesia, Limbo, Alan Wake, Five Nights at Freddy's. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    SCARY :'(

That's all I can really say about it. I alt tabbed to make this thread as a way to help calm myself down. This game is going to give me a heart attack.

I'm the kind of person that can't even beat Amnesia because it's too scary. >< I'm gonna go as long as I can with Outlast but don't have high hopes.
    I been thinking about getting it on ps4 but sadly I done seen most of the game. I missed out on it being free on ps+
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Will be fun to watch Gopher do a real, immersive playthrough of this (unlike *cough* Pewdiepie or whatever his name is) when it releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Vogyn View Post

I'M SO HYPED. Outlast opened the doors to horror games for me. Never gave the genre a second thought until I decided to play this gem. Since then my library has opened up to Amnesia, Limbo, Alan Wake, Five Nights at Freddy's. Can't wait.
    You should try SOMA and Alien: Isolation, those are great horrors, not very scary in terms of jumpscares, but very immersive.

I love the first game, and the DLC is an absolute beast. I have full confidence for the developers to make another great game, I'm glad that this one atleast stays away from a mental asylum and tries something different.

Its definately one of my favorite horror games alongside Amnesia.

I was a little skeptical at first n wondered how they could top 1 and Whistle Blower but by the looks of things (so far) they're doing pretty well

I really like how the game looks, but I have the same complaint as I did with the original Outlast (and Amnesia for that matter) - taking away the protagonist's ability to either fight back or do anything remotely offensive annoys the ever loving shit out of me. You seriously mean to tell me that I can't even do something as simple as pick up a handful of dirt and throw it in a pursuer's face?

I get the whole argument that it's meant to put you in the shoes of an average person, not a John McClaine/Rambo type (an argument that's undermined by the fact that the protagonist in the first game takes an INSANE amount of damage that should have killed him, even if only from blood loss), but even an average person can pick up a rock and throw it as a distraction.

Alien: Isolation did it right, I think. You had no chance in hell if you tried to take the alien on, but you could still do more than run. You could distract the alien, make tools, fend it off with a blow torch, things like that. In Outlast, the protagonists just come across and complete and utter morons who have no concept of doing anything except running. Throwing a rock as a distraction? Picking up a knife so that if you get grabbed you can at least stab the person who grabbed you to make them let go of you? Barricading doors or fortifying your position? These are all things that are completely beyond the protagonist.

There's a balance between your character being an insanely over-powered John McClaine and being completely and utterly helpless. That balance needs to be found. I would actually argue that giving the main character a limited, VERY limited ability to fight back, defend himself, or take preventive/distractive measures would make the game even more scary, since then you're constantly second-guessing yourself if you should act, or just run. The way Outlast is, all you CAN do is run and that's it. Oh, and hide. But even so, I feel like removing all ability of a character to try and manipulate the situation (not control it) takes something away from the game.