Exclamation Lack of interesting major Shadow Glyphs?

Glyph of Shadow Word: Death is my favorite, but that's it.

Glyph of Dispersion, Mind Blast, Mind Flay, Mind Spike, Psychic Horror, Vampiric Embrace, they are a bit boring and feels more like PvP oriented and I'm just a PvE player.

But what do you think?

Deleted
    I love glyph of mind flay, it's just... zooop zwhiipp

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow Word: Smiley is only somewhat useful because it 'activates' sooner sub 20%. Have yet to actually slot that thing.

WS is huge with B&S. Not using MF keep AF from sucking.

Inner Fire and Inner Sanctum absorb large amounts of damage.

Focused Mending is like cheating sometimes.

Every spec with "mandatory" glyphs has a lack of interesting major glyphs.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frmercury View Post
    Shadow Word: Smiley is only somewhat useful because it 'activates' sooner sub 20%. Have yet to actually slot that thing.

Don't worry, the good thing is that your happy

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Every spec with "mandatory" glyphs has a lack of interesting major glyphs.
    Yea but I don't think Shadow even has any mandatory. There are a few that are like "yea that's useful" but none that are particularly important. A Shadow Priest probably could go completely glyphless and be fine in most raids :/

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Yea but I don't think Shadow even has any mandatory. There are a few that are like "yea that's useful" but none that are particularly important. A Shadow Priest probably could go completely glyphless and be fine in most raids :/
    Glyph of fade, glyph of inner sanctum and glyph of inner fire are essential glyphs in pvp against teams that train the spriest.. (like most teams you will meet) because lack of defense abilities/damage reduction is one of the biggest issues in pvp.
    <inactive>

I feel glyph of VE is amazing and nearly mandatory. Popping it at the right time is basically another raid healing cooldown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frmercury View Post

Sw: D glyph is a single target increase under certain circumstances.

E.g. : No chance to generate an orb with it for the next 8 sec + Strong Dotline on Target + lower buff threshold on Sw:P + no other targets to dot + movement rewquired = Use Smiley on a 20% + target for a movement global since it does about twice -> thrice the damage of a instant sw: pain tick.
    Risky to use though, but i like it since it increases the skillcap and is a theoretical dps increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Theed View Post
    Glyph of fade, glyph of inner sanctum and glyph of inner fire are essential glyphs in pvp against teams that train the spriest.. (like most teams you will meet) because lack of defense abilities/damage reduction is one of the biggest issues in pvp.
    Yea I haven't seriously PvP'd since BC so I should have put the "for PvE" caveat on there

Actually shadow is one of the few specs that does benefit significantly from changing glyphs for a particular fight. E.g. I've never changed glyphs on my mage or warlock this tier. With my ele shaman I just toggle Fire Elemental and Chain Lightning on and off depending on the fight. For shadow depending on the fight, I use:

Glyph of Inner Fire
    Glyph of inner Sanctum
    Glyph of Mind Spike
    Glyph of Mind Flay
    Glyph of Dispersion
    Glyph of Fade
    Glyph of Shadow Word: Smiley
    Glyph of Vampiric Embrace

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazu View Post
    Sw: D glyph is a single target increase under certain circumstances.
    This is true. The issue I take with it is balancing it's potential use against another's potential use. More often then not it falls short in that regard (for me at least).

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    Actually shadow is one of the few specs that does benefit significantly from changing glyphs for a particular fight. E.g. I've never changed glyphs on my mage or warlock this tier. With my ele shaman I just toggle Fire Elemental and Chain Lightning on and off depending on the fight. For shadow depending on the fight, I use:

Glyph of Inner Fire
    Glyph of inner Sanctum
    Glyph of Mind Spike
    Glyph of Mind Flay
    Glyph of Dispersion
    Glyph of Fade
    In PvE some thigs might be usefull in some way.. but

Glyph of Mind Flay
    Glyph of Dispersion

Feel soo useless.. I quit Pve, but everyone will notice how small the benefit is. I mean cmon Glyph of Vampiric Embrace... you got to be kidding me..

Anyway next ones

Glyph of Inner Fire
    Glyph of inner Sanctum
    Glyph of Mind Spike
    Glyph of Mind Flay

Fire/Sanctum I can see being usefull but then just go for sanctum and leave at that, people hit thru armor anyway. Most attacks have special spell elements to it, so give you the best dev at it.
    Mind spike glyph has been nerfed in a way where it becomes something to snapshot some quest mobs maybe.. usefull really? no not really.

Mindflay sounds awesome, but still doesn't really make it.. Why waste glyph, where the feathers would give it as instant on 80% movement speed.

Sanctum/fade imo are just fine because spriests are squishy this helps a bit. Even with me stacking some extra critt I still wouldn't use the Mindblast glyph because it's "to" RnG for me.

I would love to see actual glyph that mirrors a spell or make it reverse or something crazy that could be fun and usefull at the same time..

Deleted
    I use in PvE: Glyph of Inner Sanctum, Glyph of Inner Fire, Glyph of Fade, Glyph of Mind Flay, Glyph of Focused Mending, Glyph of VE, Glyph of Mind Spike, Glyph of Mind Blast, Glyph of WS.

Yes I got my preference, but all in all I got a plethora of interesting glyph options available. Same with Disc. Its well designed as far as I'm concerned.

Minor glyphs I never change but there is loads of fun around there. Glyph of Shadow is sometimes useful to see certain shit on the floor better.

Mindflay sounds awesome, but still doesn't really make it.. Why waste glyph, where the feathers would give it as instant on 80% movement speed.
    Simple: when you are stacked up and about to move (hello like every fight in SoO) your Glyph of MF will work right away whereas your feather might land on someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Simple: when you are stacked up and about to move (hello like every fight in SoO) your Glyph of MF will work right away whereas your feather might land on someone else.
    And you don't need to set it up, and it's up all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Glyph of Shadow is sometimes useful to see certain shit on the floor better.
    WTB Glyph of Hide the goddamn legendary cloak animation on H Malkorok.

Deleted
    Speaking of glyphs I still want that glyph of selfish feathers

Deleted
    Glyph of Vampiric Embrace is a fun one. I'd argue that unglyhped is sometimes better in many cases on the 3 main hps fights (Norushen, Malkorok, Thok) due to it helping for 15 sec instead of 10, but in any other case, glyphed is a lot better since it provides a better burst heal which is usually more needed on any other fight. This kinda makes it "mandatory" for some fights though, but I still find it very fun since it changes the nature of a powerful raid CD (powerful in 10man that is).

I always glyph SW: Death for blackfuse. Gets a bit of getting used to but nets you a lot of orbs from the mines before chain lightning wrecks them.

I glyph inner fire for paragons cause thanks to the shadowform armor buff, you can survive getting hit by rapid fire if you have a shield up. I often have a shield up from proccing body and soul on myself to get out of an amber so it's not like I'm losing any GCDs from having to cast the shield anyway. (Double disc priest doesn't hurt either.)

I would kill for a glyph that turned angelic feathers into just a personal speed boost... heck just replace glyph of shackle undead... y'know that spell I used 2 expansions ago?

Quote Originally Posted by doobypls View Post
    I feel glyph of VE is amazing and nearly mandatory. Popping it at the right time is basically another raid healing cooldown.
    Uhm. VE *is* another raid healing cooldown. Period. Our Spriests are pushing out as much healing with their VE as other "offspec" healing cds (AG/Ele shaman and boomkin tranqs namely).

As for Spriests lacking "fun" or "usefull" major glyph choises -
    There's barely any classes that has glyphs that are so strong that they are "mandatory", or changes how you play your class. If they did, they wouldn't be glyphs anymore, they'd be an integral part of the spec.
    For example, the 3 go-to glyphs for hunters right now are -
    10% more healing recieved when our pet is active (always).
    Deterrence 20% more dmg reduction.
    Make our disengage propel us a little further.
    Those are literally the only 3 glyphs that we CAN pick. Anything else is so close to useless that it won't do anything, or clearly PvP oriented (pet won't die under BW, MD resets if cast on our pet, heal for 5% when we disengage, heal for 2% more when firing chim shot).
    Shadow priests actually has choises depending on the encounter. You should be happy that you have more than 3 actual choises that positively impacts your gameplay (speed buff from casting your filler, singletarget dps increase with SW:Smiley glyph, and reduced Dispersion CD, with VE and Inner sanctum for some fights, I imagine).
    Another example of a class with no really usefull glyphs would be Boomkins - the only 2 glyphs that affects boomkin gameplay would be Omens (makes your utility spells give a minor lunar/solar boost to add a little dps), and guided stars (a "fix" to starfall that should have been implemented as a feature of starfall, or a minor glyph, rather than a major). The rest is pure utility - rebirth at 100% hp, stampeding roar in moonkin form, 30 range stampeding roar. There's a LOT of choises though, and it's utility, which is what the glyphs are all about.