Poll: DUI prescription drugs

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you think its okay to DUI of mind altering prescription drugs

do you think its okay to drive while using prescription's you Doctor gave you.

Deleted
    Most medications advise against using heavy machinery.

Depends on the prescription. If the little folder you get with your medication tells you to not operate heavy machinery while on those drugs, then the answer is: 'No.'

Deleted
    Are you stupid? You know that on many prescription, and even non prescription medicines, there are warnings NOT to drive or operate any kind of heavy machinery right? It doesnt matter what people think. The law and warnings are there for a reason. I guess you just wanted to get your 15 mins of e-fame and hook on to the last thread too.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by isaaru View Post
    This isn't a yes or no question really. It depends on the prescription you get.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

We'll first of all your topic title asks one question and your thread post asks another;

Do you think its okay to DUI of mind altering prescription drugs
    Mind altering VS prescribed drugs can be 2 totally different things.

However, like the others have said, if it says, "Do not operate heavy machinery" and you drive and for whatever reason you get caught driving DUI. Then you should be punished to whatever the law says.

It's one thing to take some prescribed drugs by your DR. but an entirely different matter if they alter your mind or clearly say, "do not operate heavy machinery". Just don't do it at that point.

The question is too vague.

There are scores of drugs that specifically come with warnings not to operate heavy machinery. Cars are heavy machines, so that's a no. But then there are people who require medication that is mind-altering in order to function normally.

No I'm not stupid, I think its wrong. its the majority of an entire nation I believe is stupid

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry I couldn't fit everything into the title,
    thought it was pretty obvious i was talking about things like; OxyCotin, Adderal, seroquill, kalatapin, perks, Xanax, alprazolam, Valium, Prozac, Sonata, Ambien, Imovane, Lunesta, Ativan, Imovane, Paxil, Zoloft, Ritalin, concerta along with prescription drugs for anxiety, antidepressants, products containing codeine, many cold remedies and allergy products, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, pain relievers, diet pills, "stay awake" drugs, and other medications with stimulants (e.g. caffeine, ephedrine, pseudoephedrine)

aka the majority of prescripts

10+ Year Old Account
    No, those meds even come with warnings.

Hell, I don't even want to drive if my mind is too blurry from illness or lack of sleep, let alone care to do if it it's screwy from meds. :\

Absolutely not. Wouldnt drive under the influence of anything that has a negative effect on my ability to drive. Therefore if I even drink one beer I dont drive, not because one would do anything but it's just a principle.

and 70 million of the 313 million Americans take these
    90%of Americans drive to work
    that's about 287 million people on wheels
    and 70 million of 287 million is 24% of the US pop. and its mathematically impossible that all 24% of the US pop on these drugs all be apart consists of the 10% that responsibly Don't drive

I'm sorry for my original math being incorrect. but seriously 1 in 4 people in the US are to druged by their doctors to drive.
    and less only 6% of Americans don't have jobs,
    so you cant say its only jobless people on welfare or people that take the bus to work that are doing this.
    and I'm not talking about driving once on pills, I'm talking about every day of their lives.
    1 in 4 of the hardworking driving force of America are high as a kite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mind altering? Of course not. Prescription drugs? Depends on what the drug is and does. Mind altering prescription drugs? Of course not.

I assume this is a spin off of the other thread of driving on weed, but that one can be answered as it's a very specific case but this question is very general. Paracetomol? Yeah go and drive. A large dose of some codeine based analgesic? No way, one of my housemates has to take them for a medical problem and she goes completely spaced out, I've seen her fall over for no given reason because her motor skills go. Wouldn't let her behind the wheel no way.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    No, and it usually specifically says do not operate vehicles while on said medication. You can also be charged with a DUI while under the influence of prescription medications.

10+ Year Old Account
    -snip for poor maths-
    Just reading your above list of drugs, not all of them will have an effect on your alertness. Prescription drugs do not necessarily have an effect in that regard, so your maths is still really very incorrect. Even then, you're assuming an equal split. You may have 99 out of 100 people on one drug and then the remainder on a different. It's not that simple.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Just reading your above list of drugs, not all of them will have an effect on your alertness. Prescription drugs do not necessarily have an effect in that regard, so your maths is still really very incorrect. Even then, you're assuming an equal split. You may have 99 out of 100 people on one drug and then the remainder on a different. It's not that simple.
    The thing I find amusing about his list is more than half are used to treat insomnia. WHo in their right mind takes a sleeping aid then hops in the car for a nice relaxing drive?

10+ Year Old Account
    All depends on the pill. I don't take pills ever, but if I did, I'd make sure I knew what they were. If they were downers then hell yea i'd stay home, but if it was something else i'd probably say i'm fine.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

No I'm not stupid, I think its wrong. its the majority of an entire nation I believe is stupid

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry I couldn't fit everything into the title,
    thought it was pretty obvious i was talking about things like; OxyCotin, Adderal, seroquill, kalatapin, perks, Xanax, alprazolam, Valium, Prozac, Sonata, Ambien, Imovane, Lunesta, Ativan, Imovane, Paxil, Zoloft, Ritalin, concerta along with prescription drugs for anxiety, antidepressants, products containing codeine, many cold remedies and allergy products, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, pain relievers, diet pills, "stay awake" drugs, and other medications with stimulants (e.g. caffeine, ephedrine, pseudoephedrine)

aka the majority of prescripts
    I think it's pretty obvious your examples are all over the place. Some negatively alter level of alertness or consciousness, many do not. Like many SSRI and most other anti-depressants, Loratadine and most everything else that is prescribed for allergies aside from diphenhydramine, and I don't think most diet pills and "stay awake drugs" are generally going to fall in a list of "prescriptions your doctor gave you"....and your list is nowhere near the "majority of prescripts" to suggest that we should know what you are talking about.

I'm just guessing here but you must be one of those people from the other thread about marijuana that wants us to know how not harmful marijuana is by comparing it to medications that are either obvious like narcotic medications, benzodiazepines, hypnotics (sleepers), non-prescribed or regulated medications like diet pills or stay awake medications, or plain out have a personal distrust due to lack of understanding.
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2014-02-25 at 06:11 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the benzos and sleepers

[QUOTE= "stay awake drugs" .[/QUOTE]
    technically ALL stimulates are mind altering this includes caffeine pills, Addoral, Ritalin, one could make an argument that chocolate and coffee is mind altering, granted these type of drugs INCREASE awareness, that can lead to misjudging your own ability's because you feel "enhanced".

Again, I'd like to add that I couldn't fit everything I wanted to into the title.

also its very common for a doctor to prescribed "sleeping meds" to patients as anti psychotics, meaning they have to take them ALL DAY LONG. and turn totally psycho/angry/depressed if they are ever awake w/o the sleeping pills as they act like tranqs that suppress their normal behavior.
    I have a friend that has no choice in taking 800mg of seroquill a day, a substance that will knock any regular person out cold for 12+hours after just 25mg, she takes 200mg pills though-out the day, and shes been in multiple car accidents to and from work. but police don't drug test for scripts unless you end up in the hospital. and even when it turns up they don't acknowledge them because in America taking pills apparently isnt drug abuse, its the right thing to do, so is the impression every other commercial and social worker out their portrays

and anti-depressants that don't affect your awareness? sounds like someones been giving you placebos. anti-depressants and anti-anixity are the most common and most widely prescribed mind altering drugs in the US.

also, just to be clear I'm not talking bout simple substances like insulin, or anti-biotics
    Last edited by isaaru; 2014-02-25 at 09:11 PM.

technically ALL stimulates are mind altering this includes caffeine pills, Addoral, Ritalin, one could make an argument that chocolate and coffee is mind altering, granted these type of drugs INCREASE awareness, that can lead to misjudging your own ability's because you feel "enhanced".

Again, I'd like to add that I couldn't fit everything I wanted to into the title.

also its very common for a doctor to prescribed "sleeping meds" to patients as anti psychotics, meaning they have to take them ALL DAY LONG. and turn totally psycho/angry/depressed if they are ever awake w/o the sleeping pills as they act like tranqs that suppress their normal behavior.
    I have a friend that has no choice in taking 800mg of seroquill a day, a substance that will knock any regular person out cold for 12+hours after just 25mg, she takes 200mg pills though-out the day, and shes been in multiple car accidents to and from work. but police don't drug test for scripts unless you end up in the hospital. and even when it turns up they don't acknowledge them because in America taking pills apparently isnt drug abuse, its the right thing to do, so is the impression every other commercial and social worker out their portrays

and anti-depressants that don't affect your awareness? sounds like someones been giving you placebos. anti-depressants and anti-anixity are the most common and most widely prescribed mind altering drugs in the US.

also, just to be clear I'm not talking bout simple substances like insulin, or anti-biotics
    I am speaking from experience working for behavioral health organizations and closely with prescribers for psychotropic medications that you are talking about. Hypnotics are not given for the purpose you suggest - Seroquel is an atypical antipsychotic used for thought disorders like schizophrenia and for bipolar disorder, that is why it is given, and even then, its often prescribed to be taken at night, not all day long. Some medications like hypnotics are also only really prescribed for use at night, but then again, I don't know of a single person that would say "yeah go ahead and take those and drive".

Anti-depressants may have effects on the mind, but altering levels of consciousness (please read my post thoroughly), would be a hard sell. Maybe some of them, sure, but for the vast majority, especially as mundane as concerta? Yeah, just not seeing it.

Furthermore, you said you didn't have room to list all of the medications, but of everything you listed, all of them fit neatly into one of about 3 or 4 catagories. For instance, you mention anxiolytics, and then go on to mention Ativan, Valium, Kalatapin (klonopin?), Xanax, and Alprazolam (which is also just Xanax). If you had said "I don't think people on narcotic pain medications, muscle relaxers, sedatives, hypnotics, anxioltyics, or any of the really commonly *do not operate heavy machinery while under the effects of said medications* should drive" I might be inclined to agree with you.

As it stands however, all your posts show is you have a fundemantal lack of understanding and an overt fear or disdain for prescription medications. A view I'm unlikely to change as I'm one of those bad guy social workers from your post.

Can the next substance thread be about driving under the effects of jenkem?
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.