10+ Year Old Account

Looking for a non-MMO gaming mouse + pad

Hello there fellow gamers!

I got tired of my old standard Logitech mouse I bought back in 2010 in some random mall for $25. The problem with it is mainly too much friction with pretty much any surface, so my mouse precision is quite low as it is virtually impossible to quickly move cursor for more than 20% of the screen. Also, it has very limited DPI, and, since I am a fan of ultra-fast mouse settings, it doesn't suit my "thuggish demeanor".

However, I do not play any MMOs currently and do not plan on playing them any time soon. I play Starcraft 2 an am going to play Heroes of the Storm competitively, and also play a lot of single-player RPGs. So I am looking for a gaming mouse (for any price really, but preferably in the range of $50-$100) which...
    1) ...is not very big in size.
    2) ...doesn't have those 6+ function buttons on the side for MMOs.
    3) ...goes very smooth on at least some mouse pads.
    4) ...has high DPI.
    Preferably wireless, but I don't mind using wired mouse either, provided it is good enough.

After a few hours of reading mouse reviews on computer and gaming sites and forums, I ended up favoring this mouse with mat:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AAS888S/?tag=thewire06-20 - Razer Deathadder ($56.99 on Amazon but about $100 in my home country)
    http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Vespula-.../dp/B0036WTBFY - Razer Vespula Mouse Mat

Have anyone of you guys used this mouse with this or other Razer mat? How good is it for RTS games, like Starcraft 2, or for MOBA games? Are there any other great mouses you would recommend from your personal experience?

MX518 or G500 probably. Razer isn't exactly great as far as build quality is concerned.
    Corsair M65 is also a pretty nice mouse, and Steelseries sensei and rival as well if you don't want another Logitech product.

Ultimately though nothing can actually be better than going out and trying those in a shop to see which one fits you better.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2014-02-25 at 08:29 PM.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

The Deathadder is one of the most comfortable mice I've ever used.
    I've grown fond of my wireless mouse with "mmo buttons", but if my gaming habits ever changed, I'd go back to a Deathadder in a heartbeat.

Other contenders could be Logitech G100s, G400s or Steelseries Sensei and Rival.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't overly impressed with the Vespula. The wrist rest just wasn't very comfortable for me and the pad doesn't work well without it.

I ended up going with a Razer Sphex stick-on thing, as I'm used to just mousing on just the desk surface (but doing so wrecks the surface. The veneer of my 12-year old desk is worn clean off where I use my mouse. And raw particleboard isn't good for mousing), so I just needed something to protect that and the sphex is paper thin.

Though despite their "multi use adhesive" claim, I'd recommend sticking it on and leaving it where it is. The adhesive seems to come off after repeated stick/remove cycles.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    OK, from what I've read, many people complain about Deathadder having problems soon after purchase (2-3 months typically). It seems Razer's build quality is not very stable: some people use the mouse for years with no trouble whatsoever, while others start having problems the day they purchase it. I would like something more reliable.

Logitech G400s looks very pleasant and is rated high by many FPS players - I do not play FPS, but, I guess, what's good for FPS will be good for RTS and RPG as well. Some people complain about the cord though. But its form looks much more natural than that of Deathadder - I would prefer a form resembling "classic" mice as much as possible, not those behemoths of a mouse.

As for the mats/pads, there is a choice between hard (metal) and soft (cloth) surfaces. I have always used soft surfaces for my mice, but the main problem is that every such surface gets dirty and messed up with time, soaking in sweat and gradually being rubbed off. Am I right to assume that every soft pad will have this problem? Hard surfaces seem much easier to clean and, with a good mouse+pad combination, they should not get scratched much, but all hard surfaces I've tried so far (such as table surface, book surface, etc.) gave my cursor a lot of "throttling" due to unevenness of the surface - do special pads have this problem?

Currently I am using my laptop bag's surface as a "pad", but it also gives a lot of throttling due to the surface being totally messed after 2 years of use, and even deep clean-ups do not seem to make any difference. That's why I am afraid of buying a soft surface pad...

Deleted
    Razer Abyssus is a really good mouse, and for a pad you could buy a Steelseries QcK for $8

I'm about to order a new mouse myself, Steelseries Rival will be my pick.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

G500s 100%

Its the best you can buy. Atleast I think so, ordered one finally today. And it does come with quit a few extra buttons, so you can easly play bind heavy MMO's with it.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    OK, I am now favoring Logitech G400s/G500s and some of the Steelseries mouse pad (I ended up deciding to try a hard surface pad, such as plastic or aluminium). Which mouse is better, however? G400s is optical and G500s is laser. I think laser mouse would be a bit better, but G400s has more appealing form to me. I think I'll go to a PC shop and just try these mice and then decide which one to buy. I will also look at some mice from Steelseries and Razer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm using the G700, perfect for me. Mousepad i'm currently comfortable with is GamersWear SlickRide Surface.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, thank you guys for support. I decided to buy Logitech G400s + Razer Goliathus Control mouse pad, the net sum of about $70. I will post my impressions tomorrow, after I've bought it and tested it.

For mouse pad I love my Goliathus XL, covers my desk nicely

10+ Year Old Account
    OK, so I bought G400s + Goliathus Control (Medium size - even it is quite huge, to my taste). It is AWESOME! First time in my life I actually have the mouse I can have fun playing with, not expecting cursor dragged suddenly away due to small particles on improvised pads... I cannot compare this mouse and pad to other gaming mice and pads since it's my first, but they are simply ideal for me. I don't have any issues with them.

On a side note, my APM in Starcraft 2 suddenly jumped up by 50%! Not bragging, it just is so easier to play not correcting cursor's position all the time, moving mouse and knowing that cursor will actually go the way I want.