10+ Year Old Account

Question The Quality of SoR and RaF Players

It's been made painfully clear lately that people seem to take issue with a boost that would bring your character within 10 levels of level cap. When WoD goes live, the Blizz shop will begin selling these paid boosts for $60. This is not a newsflash, just a reiteration. A lot of the fuss seems to be that players will fail to know their role and learn their class within 10 levels, essentially the journey from 90 to 100.

This got me thinking. If instantly bypassing leveling content, and not playing until you are within 10 levels of cap is seen as questionable, I wonder how many SoR and RaF players are ostracized. I mean, in real terms, you had to find a friend, they had to buy the battle chest and/or current expansion, and they (or you) were given 80 levels instantly. Most likely while standing still and doing nothing at all.

I wonder how many RaF and SoR characters were persecuted for "skipping" content and only getting to know their character in the last 10 levels. Have you ever used, or been the recipient of SoR or RaF? Have you been treated differently for skipping old world content and only questing/dungeoning for the last 10 levels of your character?

How would anyone ever know?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    How would anyone ever know?
    I would guess watching someone dancing by a mailbox in Stormwind as they continued to blink and gain levels. Or, just in casual conversation. I suppose the same could be said for the paid boost. No one would really know unless you tell them.

I was more or less curious if these players were made to feel inferior in any way.

Personally I feel the game does nothing to help most players learn their class/spec/role. Regardless of how you got to the max level, if you don't play to the expectations of the people you are grouped with, you will be ostracised (Hopefully not by the anthropological society). Very rarely do I see a group take the time to help someone learn anything and its not really fair to expect people to use the proving grounds to learn.

I myself just levelled a 2nd monk to 85 because I had neglected Brewmaster spec. On my 90 monk, getting Duel Spec and reading a guide left me overwhelmed. So starting from scratch I was able to get the moves, use them while levelling, arrange buttons/key mappings. I'm not suggesting this be the way to learn, it just seemed more logical to me than switch spec, reading a guide and then wasting 4+ other peoples time in a dungeon or lfr while I try to get to grips with it.

But alas the community at large doesn't have the patience for people, and I think rightly so, It's their playtime after all.

I have RAF'd with friends, I have level 8 characters 85-90 by ignoring all quests in pandaria (save unlocking flight paths and the shrine access). I have never been treated differently and I can only imagine if anyone had a problem with it that they are the type of person that finds fault with everything in life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MajesticMrZombie View Post
    I have RAF'd with friends, I have level 8 characters 85-90 by ignoring all quests in pandaria (save unlocking flight paths and the shrine access). I have never been treated differently and I can only imagine if anyone had a problem with it that they are the type of person that finds fault with everything in life.
    I would have to agree. A short time ago, there was a thread asking to tag the boosters with some kind of symbol to let you know they had boosted. The same was never asked of SoR or RaF. Personally, I found the suggestion appalling and found it to be more of a witch hunt. I've only ever known 1 person who used SoR and he was top DPS in every BG he entered. Then again, warlocks are OP :P

And how about those people who where boosted to 90? There are quite a number of people who got to 90 without lifting a finger on some chars :P

Circular reasoning, we can only police our own groups and its still the same problems as before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draahl View Post
    And how about those people who where boosted to 90? There are quite a number of people who got to 90 without lifting a finger on some chars :P

Circular reasoning, we can only police our own groups and its still the same problems as before.
    Sadly, most people fail to understand that a bad player will always be bad regardless of how they leveled. Same with a good player. No one will ever know you boosted to 90 unless you tell someone. Same with RaF and SoR. Some people just need to think the sky is falling and have an excuse to make mountains of molehills.

You should be able to tell if you really check through their achieves throughly through armory but yes most ppl wouldnt bother or know in general. Not sure bout reps too if blizz gives you any for free. If not thats an easy way to tell

You dont learn to play while levling 1-90 anyway so doubt it will change.
    Its like a new game when you hit 90 and many still hasn't looked even at glyphs even if they hit 90 long ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xcess View Post
    You should be able to tell if you really check through their achieves throughly through armory but yes most ppl wouldnt bother or know in general. Not sure bout reps too if blizz gives you any for free. If not thats an easy way to tell
    By the time someone gets raid ready, their achieves would likely look like those of someone who just Powered through dungeons anyway.

If it helps, I have heroic raiding experience, and have been a healer since vanilla. I quit during the start of cata, but came back due to SOR. I used it on a level 80 lock, and I thought I would learn how to play a ranged magic dps. I sucked huge balls at dps, and I couldnt get the hang of it after 3 weeks of trying. I felt overwhelmed at 80 when I got it, and only used 2 spells to level up to 85 fast.

I have leveled the lock again to 90 at the start of MOP. And I still sucked huge dick at ranged damage with a lock, but I have gotten better. I actually do feel that atleast leveling would have let me understand the spells one by one at a time. I could most likely learn to play a warlock if I really put in the effort now, but I have since learned to hate the class entirely.
    Chronomancer Club

Deleted
    I'm still undecided how I feel about the boost but sadly every time someone in WoD screws up, I can see the "probably a boost" line being dropped regularly

Deleted
    Hm I only used SoR before (and the person already knew how to play and where to look for tips so ...).

If I used RaF I'd tell the person the basics about their class anyway and (if I didn't actively play the class) where to look for fine tuning.

In 15-30 mins that person would most likely be a better player than anyone who leveled from 1-80 (or 90) alone.

The quest content is so dumbed down that people just seem to spam damage abilities randomly (pretty much what people are doing in LFR too). It's kinda sad but you really don't need most of your utility/survivability CDs while leveling.
    Last edited by mmocb100f50513; 2014-03-04 at 01:14 PM.