10+ Year Old Account

Need advice on a full new build, going for colour matching and tidyness!

Right so now my next project is here, and would like some advice. My current build in signature is becoming my gf's rig. And now I want to start a fresh with a difference. I want power and tidiness BUT it HAS to be from overclockers.co.uk for finance reasons. Yes I know prices aren't brilliant but it's all for personal reasons and not want I want to discuss.

So budget is around £2000 can do lower or higher.
    Res: 1920 x 1080
    Games: BF4, ESO, WoW, and random other upcoming games on Ultra
    Streaming to Twitch, video editing on sony vegas.
    UK
    No parts to be reused
    Will be needing Windows 8.1 64bit
    Peripherals: 120hz or 144hz monitor would be nice, 3D would be nicer also rather have 27 inch screen

Must be bought from overclockers.co.uk for finance reasons

Need to stay colour matching where possible. Aiming for a black and red colour throughout the build.
    Aiming to work around the Red version of NZXT Phantom Enthusiast case.
    Would like to also aim for a R9 290 or above power GPU
    250gb SSD min, probably a Samsung Evo?
    Fully modular PSU.
    Also since a full tower may need to be told if I need extensions on the power cables to get everything looking neat?
    Prefer water cooling, had a H80i in my last build and loved how it made things just look so much nicer.

Edit: Spotted http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MB-249-MS mobo which is kind of the direction I'd like. Although something where you can't see the chips on the motherboard/all coated/sheethed off would be perfect unless incredibly expensive.
    Last edited by Lapetos; 2014-02-27 at 02:16 PM.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£249.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£77.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Memory: AMD 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£76.69 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£157.73 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£389.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£104.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Power Supply: Be Quiet POWER ZONE 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£89.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Monitor: Dell U2414H 60Hz 23.8" Monitor (£231.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Other: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Series (£107.00)
    Other: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit DVD - OEM (WN7-00614) (£75.00)
    Total: £1558.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-27 18:14 GMT+0000)

IPS monitor review

PSU review

If you're looking to go 27" I highly recommend aiming for 1440p but they're expensive:

Asus PB278Q 27" £450 || Review

If you do go for a 1440p monitor then I also recommend bumping the GPU to a 780ti like this:

Asus GeForce GTX 780Ti DirectCUII OC £530

Alternatively for either 1080p or 1440p this one is pretty good as well:

Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 OC WindForce £330 assuming it's in stock at the time

There is room in the budget for the things I mentioned, I just didn't think they were necessarily a must.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love the build above, but like notarget suggested, i'd grab the R9-290 instead of 780 seeing they are close in price. I find the MSI & sapphire the best 290 right now.

Just noticed you wanted to stream to twitch, then shadowplay that is nVidia feature will be superior.
    Last edited by Toffie; 2014-02-27 at 07:34 PM.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks quality although with a slight different case. Thank you very much. What is this "not the flat ribbon style cable" that the PSU you recommended is talking about?
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think I'll aim for 780ti with the 1440 option. What about http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...23&subcat=2383 then, does that have those cables? Only reason being as I can see those flat cables being neater aesthetically to look at in the case?

10+ Year Old Account
    The one you linked has fairly thick cables.
    I think the only ones with flat cables are the AX series from corsair or V series from coolermaster.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Which the cheapest AX one I can see is 760w @ £130 ish... ouch... may have to pay for the cleaner look though I guess!

Deleted
    That's a lot of money for flat cables. You can have a tidy system just fine without it, not like you knew about until reading the review. I guess the cable in the Seasonic unit is a little more discreet compared to the Be Quiet.

You can also buy individually sleeved cables for the visible parts if you prefer.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe this PSU instead:

Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold £80

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    That's a lot of money for flat cables. You can have a tidy system just fine without it, not like you knew about until reading the review. I guess the cable in the Seasonic unit is a little more discreet compared to the Be Quiet.

You can also buy individually sleeved cables for the visible parts if you prefer.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe this PSU instead:

Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold £80

Aye you are right, it just reminded me off someone elses build that seemed to just look nicer with them type of cables... and thank you sir shall aim for that one!

Deleted
    Instead of a 1440 screen why not get a 50+ inch 1080p tv for a little more cash that will work with more things than just a pc? Just a thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Instead of a 1440 screen why not get a 50+ inch 1080p tv for a little more cash that will work with more things than just a pc? Just a thought.
    As TVs look horrendous as PC monitors unless sat back at a distance. Seeing as this is something that sits in my bedroom, the 42" TV I have is even feeling tad on the large size for a bedroom. It's something I considered in the past... it wasn't until I tried playing WoW on a TV when I realised how quick I was getting headaches from it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Probably because sitting in front of a 50" TV with 1080p stretched across is terrible for PC use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well no longer locked into overclockers, thankfully!!! So sticking to the same advice and colour co-ordination, is this looking good?
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3b1S8
    CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core £236.99
    CPU Cooler Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid £68.98
    Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 £103.01
    Memory AMD 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 £76.69
    Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD £99.99
    Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB £509.99
    Case NZXT Phantom (White/Red) ATX Full Tower £103.04
    Power Supply Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V £83.93
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Total: 1364

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want more red inside go for the MSI 780 ti Gaming which has some cool red / black accents on the cooler. There's also sleeved cable sets for the Corsair PSU's in red or black.

Edit: Scrap that thing about the MSI card. It has red only underneath so not gonna be visible anyway.

Edit2: The new Corsair AX power supply series has red text instead of gold.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2014-03-16 at 10:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oooh could you link? Does it also have the flat power cables like the RM one?

Found it, shame it's that much pricier for it though!
    Last edited by Lapetos; 2014-03-16 at 11:03 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It has flat sata and molex cables and the 6, 8 & 24 pins are sleeved black. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,5.html

It's more pricier then the RM series but more efficient as well with platinum rating. Also check out these individually sleeved cable sets. Works for both the RM and AX series corsair psu's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just drooled a lil on the cable sleeve options, thanks for that! Think I'll stick with the RM due to how the efficiency won't be quite worth it. But them cables will get this project looking awesome so huge thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to buy a setup which is mostly black and white with a bit of silver highlights.

Case: Fractal Design Arc midi 2
    Board: Asrock Extrem4
    cooler: Coolermaster 212 Evo