Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

How different would your life be if you found $5,000 appear in your bank account?

Question in title. How would that affect you right now?

For the sake of the argument, let's assume that there is nothing legally or morally bad about the money. No system glitches or weird anomalies. Just an anonymous, no-strings-attached transfer of money from someone whose identity you'll never know.

How would this impact your life? I didn't want it to be a life-changing amount of money, but enough to allow for a few interesting possibilities.

I don't make a lot of money where I am right now, but I'd probably use the money to travel somewhere else in the United States (California, maybe) for a while.

Do as I am doing now: Go in with my life as normal. What does 5k mean? It is not much money at all. Would just be more money on my account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, considering my ex-fiancée broke up with me a few months ago, I think it would be an amazing thing to have. She took my cat and apartment. So I would probably move states and start over.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually just received $5000 and my life didn't change in any way, just a few less payments now lol. Actually, when you think about it, $5000 is a minute amount amount of money when you consider monthly expenses, rent/mortgage, utilities, any other debt that one may have and child care expenses, although to some less fortunate it could mean a world of difference.
    Last edited by Chigga; 2014-02-27 at 10:05 PM. Reason: forgot some thoughts
    Pokemon FC- 4785 4499 6186.

Seeking Shiny charmander family with Max IV Sp. Atk, speed, and/or Atk. Would prefer modest nature or it's opposite and have valuable trades. Also seeking Charizardite X

All it would do is help me pay off my car faster, still owe like 15k.

Honestly it would just add to my savings as it's not really enough to change much.

In a more fun world, and if I could actually get time off work, it'd be fun to travel Asia a bit, China, S Korea and Japan being my main priorities.
    Robtrina of Sylvanas.
    Robwong of Sylvanas.
    Roblína of Sylvanas.

$5,000 is what, roughly £4,000? It'd be a very nice bonus and I'd most likely use it to put a deposit on a house. This would enable me to get my own home and improve my quality of life fairly significantly. I'd be a lot happier.

So in short, yeah. I'd be pretty pleased to see that money appear in my account.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really wouldn't make a difference. I could pay off some bills and whatnot.

There was a thread recently about winning $1,000,000 and people didn't realize how little a million bucks is... Its enough to live off of, but little more. $5,000 isn't much. Sure, you can take a trip with that.. But if you can't afford that same trip now, it probably could just as easily go to paying off debt.

$5000 is a drop in the bucket compared to student loans.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    $5k is a blip. Tell me it was $50k or $500k, then we could do something with that. $5million even better.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't really affect me. I'd pay most of it into my savings account and buy myself something nice with the rest. Maybe a new phone or new GPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Id do something ive never done before... buy 5000 lottery tickets and hope to be a millionaire byvthe next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

$5,000 would pay off the rest of my car loan while allowing enough living expenses to last me months. I could even move to another city and find a better job. It would give me freedom a magnitude greater than I currently have.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    I would buy some new furniture for my apartment.

I would help my parents pay for my brothers wedding.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Would buy second PC.

It would be about the same as my plans for my next paycheck - pay rent, buy some new gear(speaker cab needs to be replaced), put the rest in savings. I'm pretty fortunate right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileus View Post
    Well, considering my ex-fiancée broke up with me a few months ago, I think it would be an amazing thing to have. She took my cat and apartment. So I would probably move states and start over.
    how can someone take YOUR cat and YOUR apartment ?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Steve View Post
    It would be about the same as my plans for my next paycheck - pay rent, buy some new gear(speaker cab needs to be replaced), put the rest in savings. I'm pretty fortunate right now.
    You are extremely fortunate. I'm lucky to get 10% of that per paycheck.
    www.mustseepics.com - A Blog For The Best Photographs From Across The Web

I work the bare minimum to support my life style which is around 1 day a month so if I found 5k that would be huge and probably wouldn't need to work for a couple of years.

Deleted
    I would use it to get caught up on the bills haha..