anyone think they'll ever get rid of, or improve traps?

to me, and possibly others, it is a tired old mechanic that needs to be retired and replaced with something decent.

Remove, quite unlikely at this point, considering Holinka just mentioned their functionality for WOD in a tweet about 5 minutes ago...

https://twitter.com/holinka/status/439231766566424576

Improve, quite likely at this point, considering Holinka just mentioned their functionality for WOD in a tweet about 5 minutes ago...

I think they work fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, traps activating instantly will be interesting. It will still be relatively difficult for a hunter to land a trap in PvP due to the animation time and latency. Of course a Concussive Shot would do fine, but that means people can still prepare to eat the trap. Will be interesting to see how this works out ^^

As for removing traps, I think they'll remove Snake Trap. Unless it's being buffed it's still pretty useless.

Traps (in PvP) will only be useful in pillar humping/other bottlenecking situations. Unless they expect us to coordinate landing traps with other stuns, which, I suppose, is a fair enough thing to ask for. It all depends on how fast the travel time is on the trap.

Traps have 1 good advantage and 1 disadvantage. They are a fun and immersive concept. Using them makes the hunter feel like a hunter. They add a lot of uniqueness and epicness to the hunter theme. BUT. As Fincher said, it's a super clumsy mechanic. In order for it to work in PvP or in dynamic PvE fights, they'd either have to make them nothing like what traps are suppposed to be like ( as they are doing now, instant traps? we are going to freaking launch traps on enemies and magically they get caught into them. Yey, clap. Not fun. Not immersive. ) or remove them or let them remain clumsy but make super powerful so if by chance someone actually steps over them - BOOM.

I do like their use in outdoor world, though nothing supports that. Mobs are easily killed, placing a trap each time before killing a mob...

There are ways to make them fun and useful but that requires an overhaul.

10+ Year Old Account
    I for one hope they embrace this design and in the future implement it for all targetable cc.
    Fear/Hoj/stormbolt/poly/sap/blind/cyclone/hex ect all on a 30 sec cd with a 1 yard target box.
    50% with cast time 50% instant with animation delay/travel time.
    Say stuff like stormbolt/blind typical animation delay/travel time.
    Fear/poly/sap examples for cast time.
    Aoe cc's could remain unchanged.
    Knockbacks theres not much to do with, they are mostly all non targetable.

I can't see them ever removing traps. They're such an iconic element of the class, it'd be like removing feign death. Improve? absolutely. There's always room for improvement, and if you think you'll realize that traps actually get improved with pretty much every xpac. First they were made useable in combat, then we could drop more than 1 at a time, then they became ranged, then the ranged mechanic was changed to apply to all traps, and we got the ability to change basic functionality through glyphs. And now we're losing the much loathed 2 second arming time. I won't be surprised to see changes to snake trap too.

I also feel it's necessary to ask... what would you replace them with that be equally iconic, and unique? No one else has anything like traps (unless you count wild mushrooms, and I don't). Replace them with some kind of CC shots? So we can be more like casters? What about fighting class homogeneity? Let's not push to have one of the last unique mechanics in the game removed please.
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

Quote Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
    I also feel it's necessary to ask... what would you replace them with that be equally iconic, and unique? No one else has anything like traps (unless you count wild mushrooms, and I don't). Replace them with some kind of CC shots? So we can be more like casters? What about fighting class homogeneity? Let's not push to have one of the last unique mechanics in the game removed please.
    personally for me iconic means little. you could argue eyes of the beast was also iconic and they had no qualms about getting rid of that one. to be honest i've never liked how traps worked, really kludgy mechanics. so for me it would be like saying it is an iconic turd. sure there have been menial improvements, but sometimes it was 1 step forward 1 step back. the hit box got smaller, i used to be able to have 3 active at a time etc. that trap launcher (in my opinion) was such a lame attempt to bandaid the woeful original design of how the traps worked. for a very long time the explosive trap was the weakest aoe for a primary damage dealer class. immolation not much better. snakes.. well...were snakes.

actually since the beginning i've wanted a bola-type cc. looks like someone finally remembered they existed and put it in the preview, but i didn't necessarily want damage attached to it.
    Last edited by c000; 2014-03-14 at 01:55 AM.