Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    So what you are saying is it would be wrong to celebrate the holiday of another nation?
    Because I think you just argued that people shouldn't celebrate St. Patrick's day.

Good luck with that.
    It's wrong to ban the U.S. flag just because it offends people. This is the United States, not Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    It's wrong to ban the U.S. flag just because it offends people. This is the United States, not Ireland.
    Only this isn't what that is.

It isn't the United States flag. It is a t-shirt. The two are very different.

It is also banning those t-shirts being worn to troll people. Trolls who have shown no more respect to the image than those who choose to burn it.

It's not banning the t-shirts because someone hates America. These kids wanted to wear them in an attempt to antagonise people.

On the subject of Ireland. Ireland has some brilliant examples of why it's sometimes a good idea to be careful what you are wearing on days commemorating historic battles. In this case Rangers and Celtic shirts, being worn for reasons that have nothing to do with the Scottish League.

A t-shirt with a rainbow flag on it is something that should be a perfectly acceptable thing. In certain places it is not advisable, because the design has meaning attached to it. While it would be wonderful if people could express who they are freely I'm sure even the most out and proud gay people will agree with me that certain towns aren't the place for wearing pride t-shirts.

Sometimes the time and place things are worn put across a very different message to the one originally intended. Often an originally positive message looks like you are challenging people into a confrontation in the wrong situation.

National flags are something that a lot of people take very seriously. When you are using them to antagonise people that can make your message even stronger, because for better or worse people will start to associate that message with the country in question.

Would you want the message that people think of when they see the Stars and Stripes to be "screw your holiday"?

Personally I think people attach too much meaning to flags and symbols, but it isn't something that is going to go away any time soon, so I think we should try and attach positive messages and meanings to them.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2014-03-02 at 12:52 AM.

Deleted
    Yes it is.

The U.S. flag might make people commit violence so it's banned?

It just sounds like an excuse to ban U.S. patriotism to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Yes it is.

The U.S. flag might make people commit violence so it's banned?

It just sounds like an excuse to ban U.S. patriotism to me.
    Be careful what you let become associated with the US flag.

The St. George's cross has in recent years been used by groups wanting to spread only messages of hate. They try and hide behind national pride, but true patriots know that they are trying to use the image to promote their messages of hate. You don't want that to be the first thing people think of when they see your flag.

Context and intent are everything here.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2014-03-02 at 01:04 AM.

It isn't the United States flag. It is a t-shirt. The two are very different.

It is also banning those t-shirts being worn to troll people. Trolls who have shown no more respect to the image than those who choose to burn it.

It's not banning the t-shirts because someone hates America. These kids wanted to wear them in an attempt to antagonise people.

On the subject of Ireland. Ireland has some brilliant examples of why it's sometimes a good idea to be careful what you are wearing on days commemorating historic battles. In this case Rangers and Celtic shirts, being worn for reasons that have nothing to do with the Scottish League.

A t-shirt with a rainbow flag on it is something that should be a perfectly acceptable thing. In certain places it is not advisable, because the design has meaning attached to it. While it would be wonderful if people could express who they are freely I'm sure even the most out and proud gay people will agree with me that certain towns aren't the place for wearing pride t-shirts.

Sometimes the time and place things are worn put across a very different message to the one originally intended. Often an originally positive message looks like you are challenging people into a confrontation in the wrong situation.

National flags are something that a lot of people take very seriously. When you are using them to antagonise people that can make your message even stronger, because for better or worse people will start to associate that message with the country in question.

Would you want the message that people think of when they see the Stars and Stripes to be "screw your holiday"?

Personally I think people attach too much meaning to flags and symbols, but it isn't something that is going to go away any time soon, so I think we should try and attach positive messages and meanings to them.
    if an american is trolled by the american flag then they need to rethink their life... why is this so hard for the ultra liberal group to understand? WHAT IS NEXT?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    if an american is trolled by the american flag then they need to rethink their life... why is this so hard for the ultra liberal group to understand? WHAT IS NEXT?
    They're hormonal children. You are asking school children to be adult about something.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2014-03-02 at 02:39 AM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Please...enlighten us as to the conspiracy theory your brilliance has uncovered...we're waiting...

For one day they can't wear patriotic t-shirts. Not even that, they just turn them inside-out during the celebration to not make some other people feel bad.

It's awfully mild to the point I'm not sure why people are so enraged about it, while at the same time I don't see what could make the ban necessary in the first place. Are there some people on the premises that foam at the mouth when they see an american flag in america?

This is happening at a school too. Last I checked, they fly a flag in broad daylight out front, and one in every single classroom. I want to know who is OK with that, but the moment some dude with a t-shirt walks in, they lose their mind.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2014-03-02 at 03:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

What these kids have done is actually very clever.

They just wanted to troll people celebrating Cinco de Mayo.

Their chosen method has created a debate about patriotism.

Had they chosen almost any other method they would have been called out straight away by their school and it would have ended there.

I don't know for certain, but I'm fairly sure the people living in the US who celebrate Cinco de Mayo can tolerate seeing people wearing t-shirts with the US flag on. What is important here is that they know the kids wearing them are only doing it to try and piss them off on a day that they should be celebrating.

The school has been put in a horrible position of having to choose between banning the display of the US flag on these t-shirts for that day or knowingly allow some bratty kids to troll people on a day when they should be celebrating.

Also - dress codes. These kids need to get used to them. Most employers are far stricter than schools.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2014-03-02 at 03:51 AM.