Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

mutilate without daggers? is it true?

I heard somewhere recently that during one of the latest wod patch notes, there was tooltip change. It apparently says "200% with daggers, or 138% without".

Can someone source this? It's immensely exciting to play a swords spec with 40% haste, even if it isn't competitive.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have WoD patch notes? Or are you referring to footage from a press event?
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

It was shown in the video for WoD press event, yeah. And err, right now you could play combat. Definitely a sword spec and definitely more than 40% haste.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    It was shown in the video for WoD press event, yeah. And err, right now you could play combat. Definitely a sword spec and definitely more than 40% haste.
    You're right, I could, but I just don't like the feel of combat. That's not to say it's bad, but the whole thing in my opinion just doesn't feel like it flows well.

Besides, I don't currently have membership. I follow the game but don't currently play it. I joined in tbc, loved it, played tbc and wotlk, and cata beta then quiet\got bored. Didn't like cata or mop. Resubbed to kill deathwing in lfr on 10 day free trial, most of which went unused.

I tried to play mop. Got bored at 87, stopped, game back afew months later to get 90, then just bored, don't like the specs, game theme, or pvp at the moment.

Assassination with swords can look cool. Don't know anyway if the feeling of Mutilate will change (animation, overlapping weapons, etc).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

MOTHERF... this would be a dream come true for me! I like the flow of Assa, but I want my orc to have axes and not be forced to play clunky combat spec.
    If they add an extra fun combo generator besides Mutilate/Dispatch, that would be the best spec ever.

I have a feeling daggers will still be optimal for Mut since DP is so much of the spec's damage. Faster weapons (daggers) = more DP procs. Mut doesn't have anything like KSp to even out the difference.

Then again, they could normalize poison procs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poison procs affected by haste but not by weapon speed (slower = fast) is what they should aim in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DrArtorius View Post
    Poison procs affected by haste but not by weapon speed (slower = fast) is what they should aim in my opinion.
    So, haste-scaling RPPM (like the meta/cloak and ToT Trinkets during ToT). That could work.

Celestalon said on twitter that there is info we don't have on that yet. So don't get your hopes up.

https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...10171617751040
    Fierydemise-ShaowCraft Engine Guy
    Rogue Chat-Blogging about Rogue PvE and Theorycrafting (Twitter)
    Rogue IRC: #Ravenholdt on Quakenet

Dual slower weapons would still be marginally worse than daggers under a haste-scaled RPPM system, since the RPPM would be so high that it would be easier for the proc chance to reach 100% prior to proccing with slower weapons.

It would make more sense just to normalize it I think, it's not like you really care about poison application having a smoother proc rate which is the primary thing that RPPM provides.
    Last edited by aggixx; 2014-02-24 at 10:10 PM.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Poisons going back to ppm will make combat no longer be off-hand weapon agnostic. If they want to make poisons ppm and make all specs weapon-agnostic, then they are going to have to add dagger modifiers to killing spree, revealing strike, sinister strike, and hell, even shiv. Alternatively, they could normalize weapon speed and weapon normalization coefficient across the board (although 2.6 speed daggers doesn't make a whole lot of sense--other games do this, so the precedent is there).

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    (although 2.6 speed daggers doesn't make a whole lot of sense--other games do this, so the precedent is there).
    That would only be a valid argument if all daggers were smaller then any other 1h. But this is Madness, err a MMORPG, where "cool design" takes "any kind of realism" to the shed at the backside of the house and comes back alone.

Not that i'm for hyperrealistic game mechanics, but i don't think there is ANY kind of argument in favor of keeping daggers in game besides nostalgia. None i can think of at least.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Deleted
    I could see them making us able to use 2.6 weapons for both Mutilate and Backstab to prevent bad luck with drops.
    Last edited by mmoc0488bfa35f; 2014-02-26 at 12:02 AM.

You would think they'd at least at fist weapons to Asssassin's repertoire.

Something like 2h vs DW Frost DK/WW Monk or TG vs SMF for Fury Warriors would be cool. Where using two 2.6s or two daggers has an effect on your rotation and the "feel" of the spec would be really cool.

Since ambush got tweaked, anything can be as well. If appearance is what matters, then transmog can fix it (one day..). If number balance is what matters, then poisons can be normalised as mentioned and moreover we can finally have a builder which does not use weapon damage but AP so the weapon type would not matter.

I won't get too excited but it certainly would be nice if we could use any weapon for any rogue spec. Having to get four weapons is a bit silly--does any other class have to do that? I suppose DKs might need 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Demeia View Post
    Having to get four weapons is a bit silly--does any other class have to do that?
    We technically only need three, but I think you know we *want* four.

The answer is yes, but with caveats.

1)- Every other pure class simply uses the same weapon in all specs. If they want another weapon, it's based on the stat distribution and nothing else- certainly no hunter shots are only workable with a gun and others with a bow, even though that would make a lot more sense than our restrictions.

2)- Expanding to JUST DPS SPECS, warriors and DKs enter the picture. A warrior wants a 2 hander for arms and either a second 2 hander or two one handers for fury- so he can want up to three weapons. If his two fury setups are different enough to be rewarding in that tier, then he needs four weapons, two of which are two handers- a more expensive proposition than us by a bit. But, that's very rare, and not true in most tiers and expansions. A DK wants a two hander and two one handers.

3)- Expanding to ALL SPECS then we see a lot of classes need whole sets of everything. A paladin will want a one hander str, a str shield, a two hander str, a one hander int, and an int shield. Of course, someone doing that actually plays the other roles- they aren't just playing melee.

Until the public beta is out, just assume anything you see or hear about WoD class changes is experimental.