Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Noone said the challenge is in the Dungeon

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    The point I was trying to make is that we didn't go into too much strategy beyond what was bolded. Certainly I'd consider us better than the majority of the level 90 population but I don't believe that you need to be gods among men to do Challenge Modes. As you said you built pug groups from scartch and completed it in 3 days (dunno the number of hours) which just goes to show that dedication to finishing is more important than just having good players.

That being said, the true difficulty of Challenge Modes is chasing after those Realm Fastest times. That is where any prestige for the content exists.
    So the only real strategies you guys employed to get gold was "invis here" and "amber for mana"?

There was no CC, no proper CD usage, no mass CC, no specific coordinated pulls, no tricks to shorten time? You just ran through as you normally would, popped an invis pot and got gold?

Again, the point here is that things you are taking for granted are alien to the majority of the WoW population. Things that you see as "normal play" (as do I) most see as an incredible challenge (i.e. the things I listed). So again, it's not that the CM's are easy, it's that those who get them are good, and those who carry others and/or get realm firsts are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    So the only real strategies you guys employed to get gold was "invis here" and "amber for mana"?

There was no CC, no proper CD usage, no mass CC, no specific coordinated pulls, no tricks to shorten time? You just ran through as you normally would, popped an invis pot and got gold?
    The only CC we did was on the fly or stuff that we already knew about from normal/heroics like the 3 guys before that one boss in Gate of the Setting Sun that requires an elevator to reach. Most other recommended CC and walk by stuff we just killed lest someone accidentally aggro them and cause a wipe.

Again, the point here is that things you are taking for granted are alien to the majority of the WoW population. Things that you see as "normal play" (as do I) most see as an incredible challenge (i.e. the things I listed). So again, it's not that the CM's are easy, it's that those who get them are good, and those who carry others and/or get realm firsts are great.
    And again, the people who are dedicated enough to getting the gold achievement can do it if they are willing to invest the time necessary to put together a successful group. Better players will obviously get them completed faster but something that may take a week of 1-2 hour runs isn't as restrictive as raiding or 2200+ rating.

The only CC we did was on the fly or stuff that we already knew about from normal/heroics like the 3 guys before that one boss in Gate of the Setting Sun that requires an elevator to reach. Most other recommended CC and walk by stuff we just killed lest someone accidentally aggro them and cause a wipe.

And again, the people who are dedicated enough to getting the gold achievement can do it if they are willing to invest the time necessary to put together a successful group. Better players will obviously get them completed faster but something that may take a week of 1-2 hour runs isn't as restrictive as raiding or 2200+ rating.
    In this one statement you make a point and then contradict it. "Time to put together a successful group" =/= "time spent"

"A successful group" are those players who are good enough to do them, i.e. your guild mates, NOT "any player who has enough time to beat their heads against a CM". The time spent doing them only extends when you have players who aren't good. I would say it's just the same as any difficult content that is beaten by players, however CM's don't have the luxury of getting significant upgrades each week like raids do, therefore they remain about the same difficulty, other than some minor tweaks with gemslots etc.

So again, my point remains the same.

Dance around it all you want, your formula of *any player* + *enough time* = *gold* is just fucking stupid lol.

In this one statement you make a point and then contradict it. "Time to put together a successful group" =/= "time spent"

"A successful group" are those players who are good enough to do them, i.e. your guild mates, NOT "any player who has enough time to beat their heads against a CM". The time spent doing them only extends when you have players who aren't good. I would say it's just the same as any difficult content that is beaten by players, however CM's don't have the luxury of getting significant upgrades each week like raids do, therefore they remain about the same difficulty, other than some minor tweaks with gemslots etc.

So again, my point remains the same.

Dance around it all you want, your formula of *any player* + *enough time* = *gold* is just fucking stupid lol.
    You're assuming that the quality of a player is static presumably because people don't seem to learn from their mistakes. I agree with you that a group of 5 players that know their class well will knock all 9/9 CMs out in a day (I did it today) but that doesn't mean that a different group of 5 varying skilled players can't finish it given more attempts. This goes back to what I was saying in another Challenge Mode thread in that your viewpoint shouldn't be "We are getting all the golds NOW" but "Hey, let's try a couple of dungeons and see how things go".

Edit: I suppose we should at best agree to disagree and stop going off-topic.
    Last edited by Trubo; 2014-03-02 at 02:52 AM.

You're assuming that the quality of a player is static presumably because people don't seem to learn from their mistakes. I agree with you that a group of 5 players that know their class well will knock all 9/9 CMs out in a day (I did it today) but that doesn't mean that a different group of 5 varying skilled players can't finish it given more attempts. This goes back to what I was saying in another Challenge Mode thread in that your viewpoint shouldn't be "We are getting all the golds NOW" but "Hey, let's try a couple of dungeons and see how things go".

Edit: I suppose we should at best agree to disagree and stop going off-topic.
    It's very much on topic, the fact that he's asking how he's supposed to be getting challenge modes, and these are very valid points to discuss.

As far as your statement of "Hey, let's try a couple of dungeons and see how things go" you're absolutely correct, however it's sad that you don't even know what that entails, having done your Golds in a guild group. It's of course a valid statement, and exactly what I did to get my 9/9, but it's kind of like a kid born into a good family given a free ride in college and a job in the familiy business telling the kid who grew up in the hood and dropped out of school to help his family working at mcdonalds to just get a better job. It's correct, but you don't really know what it entails. <-- is off topic, I just had to say it because it was kind of funny

The point is, CM's are not easy. You can claim they are all you want, but they're not. Simple as that. They take dedication and a level of skill that most players don't have. If they were easy, topics like this wouldn't exist.
    Last edited by Louis CK; 2014-03-02 at 03:06 AM.

It's very much on topic, the fact that he's asking how he's supposed to be getting challenge modes, and these are very valid points to discuss.

The point is, CM's are not easy. You can claim they are all you want, but they're not. Simple as that. They take dedication and a level of skill that most players don't have. If they were easy, topics like this wouldn't exist.
    Not once have I said that Challenge Modes are easy, only that better players will have an easier time with them than those that aren't as skilled or are reliant on pugging. But, taking your own experiences, it can be done and in probably less time than you'd expect.

I'm sorry if I came off as saying CM are simply Amber and Invisibility potions, of course CCing a trash packs to skip them and having competent group members is required.

All I'm saying is that if you find decent people, which is not too difficult with OpenRaid and oQueue, challenge modes come down to just spending a day reviewing strategies and practicing. I have led multiple Herald runs on my server and OpenRaid, I can tell you that those were a lot more frustrating than gold CMs. With current gear levels it's just a matter of learning the CMs and finding the right people.

If you find competent raid experienced people and still can't do it, it's probably your fault and you need to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmawrath View Post
    I'm sorry if I came off as saying CM are simply Amber and Invisibility potions, of course CCing a trash packs to skip them and having competent group members is required.

All I'm saying is that if you find decent people, which is not too difficult with OpenRaid and oQueue, challenge modes come down to just spending a day reviewing strategies and practicing. I have led multiple Herald runs on my server and OpenRaid, I can tell you that those were a lot more frustrating than gold CMs. With current gear levels it's just a matter of learning the CMs and finding the right people.

If you find competent raid experienced people and still can't do it, it's probably your fault and you need to improve.
    So you did your 9/9 Gold then?

Yep.

Here is my armory:
    We'll it not letting me post links since this is a new account, but my character is Jkspiritlink on Emerald Dream.

Mainly doing pvp now.