Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Newbie going into PvP - I absolutely hate it.

I haven't PvP'd in years and I thought I'd gather some honor points, to try it out again.
    So I throw myself into WSG as a healer and this is my impression of what PvP is like.

Silence, fear, stun, silence, stun, fear, dead.
    Fear, stun, silence, stun, interrupt, silence, dead.

And so on and so forth.
    How could I ever possible mitigate that? How could I as someone going into PvP for the first time ever enjoy something like this?

For a company that loves to make the game more accessible and easy to get into, PvP is a massive pain to perform even at a mediocre level in.

I'm a player that loves FPS games, where I can always perform in some way, which I'm often very good at, easily a top 10 player most games, even top 5. When I get into PvP, I see nothing but a huge wall of pain coming at me that I can do absolutely nothing against.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2014-03-01 at 05:56 PM.

Deleted
    You're playing a video game, you expect to do well as soon as you start? Before this topic turns into another nerf CC/class/spec, just please, please, do a little bit of homework... what is with players these days just expecting everything to be accessible? You're supposed to be terrible at it when you start, you're also supposed to learn... these sort of topics just kill me every time.

Obviously not everyone has such problems in pvp. You just need practice. It can be frustrating at the beginning, sure, but pvp is a great way to have fun while pve land is in month 6+ of SoO...

10+ Year Old Account
    That's one of the reasons they are removing a lot of the CC in WoD

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernardblack View Post
    You're playing a video game, you expect to do well as soon as you start? Before this topic turns into another nerf CC/class/spec, just please, please, do a little bit of homework... what is with players these days just expecting everything to be accessible? You're supposed to be terrible at it when you start, you're also supposed to learn... these sort of topics just kill me every time.
    I'm supposed to have little to no chance? I'm supposed to constantly lose over and over, having nothing at all to put up against most people? How can you consider that to be fun?

In an FPS game I can start fresh and still play very well and offer great resistance to long-time players. Heck, in an RTS game I atleast get seeded against people of my caliber, so when I play Starcraft 2 I don't get to face people playing at MLG level.

What homework? What am I meant to learn? Instead of telling me to be quiet and just learn, try to tell me WHAT to learn. Because unless you can actually tell me that, you're as full of it as you're saying that I am. For the record, I'm playing a resto shaman. What could I ever possible learn, that will prevent all this CC from happening to me? Please, enlighten me, instead of calling me ignorant. BEcause unless you can tell me, you're just as ignorant as you call me.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2014-03-01 at 06:12 PM.

Deleted
    You might look into things like http://www.wowwiki.com/Line_of_sight and do some CC yourself.
    But in general, as a healer, if somebody hurts you, you did something wrong. Its a lot about positioning.

You can learn most of it in the arena, but it also applies to Battlegrounds.
    There are hundreds of instruction videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO3R-MNor-E

You can also run with friends, that peel the enemy off you, when you're under attack, while you're learning.

Also, you should not complain about the basic game mechanics, without some experience. It might be not as fun as you expected, but there are many ways to counter these mechanics.

And you should never pretent to be world class "top 5 in most games", as nobody will believe you anyways. Professional (top 10 - top 5) Players focus on one game at a time, maybe 2. Lying on the internet, expecially when talking about PVP, might net you lots of negative responses.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    For the record, I'm playing a resto shaman.
    That's part of it right there. As a shaman of any flavor, you're basically running around in pvp with a gigantic sign on your forehead that screams "KILL ME ASAP".

There are times I feel the same way as OP, when it's one CC after another after another after another. Glad to see the update from yesterday delve into detail about cutting back on some of that.

Shaman specific notes: glyph for ghost wolf and spec for either frozen power or earthgrab totem (whichever is up to you) and be ready to kite at a moment's notice. Also glyph cap totem for when melee do inevitably get to you.

After playing resto shaman and holy priest in bgs, I've come to the conclusion that healers essentially have the role of tanks in random BGs. You will get tunneled and CC'd to hell, and usually you will not receive the necessary heals and peals from teammates. So what can you do? Be very generous and fast with your CDs, and also try to hang/kite around the back of your team.

This is why things are changing in WoD.

Honestly I wish they'd make random battlegrounds have normalised gear. Would be a good way to gear up then for Arena or RBG's or WPvP, and also be a quick test of skill for people who already have the gear.

But from what I've gathered a lot of PvPers aren't so interested in skill and prefer to pick on weaker targets. So yeah.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully this gets in on the first page so you can actually read it. My advice is go into LFG and farm JP to convert to honor (1 honor for ever 2 JP conversion) to get yourself some pvp gear or buy/craft the full set pvp gear until you can afford to buy the season 15 stuff. You'll notice a lot of difference if you do this. Also what type of healer are you because healers in general are pretty powerful in pvp.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yasuo View Post
    You might look into things like http://www.wowwiki.com/Line_of_sight and do some CC yourself.
    But in general, as a healer, if somebody hurts you, you did something wrong. Its a lot about positioning.

You can learn most of it in the arena, but it also applies to Battlegrounds.
    There are hundreds of instruction videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO3R-MNor-E

You can also run with friends, that peel the enemy off you, when you're under attack, while you're learning.

Also, you should not complain about the basic game mechanics, without some experience. It might be not as fun as you expected, but there are many ways to counter these mechanics.

And you should never pretent to be world class "top 5 in most games", as nobody will believe you anyways. Professional (top 10 - top 5) Players focus on one game at a time, maybe 2. Lying on the internet, expecially when talking about PVP, might net you lots of negative responses.

Just saying.
    It's what I've been trying to do. I realized that I'm a prime target and I kept having atleast 2-3 people on me at all times. So but there's just so much you can do in WSG with positioning when your team isn't supporting you...

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Advice? Playing a Resto Shammy is a bad idea in Random BGs. I've noticed when I play my Shammy (Ele/Enhance) it is often full focused beyond anything else. Target the Blue is the attitude.

But yeah, it is a shit situation. I've got Characters in full Grievous who can go 100-0 in stun chains. Random BGs cc is thrown around like loot in LFR.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    That's part of it right there. As a shaman of any flavor, you're basically running around in pvp with a gigantic sign on your forehead that screams "KILL ME ASAP".

There are times I feel the same way as OP, when it's one CC after another after another after another. Glad to see the update from yesterday delve into detail about cutting back on some of that.

Shaman specific notes: glyph for ghost wolf and spec for either frozen power or earthgrab totem (whichever is up to you) and be ready to kite at a moment's notice. Also glyph cap totem for when melee do inevitably get to you.
    Yeah I was wondering why I was targeted do so much... It felt like I literally got everything thrown at me at all times.

A really, REALLY easy class to get into pvp with is Warlock. Honestly, I hated pvp prior to making a warlock, and then once I started, especially while leveling up to get myself into the groove, I absolutely loved it. Granted, of course, PvP will depend a lot on the rest of your team (arena and battlegrounds), but my best recommendation is make a Horde warlock, decked out in enchanted looms, and start pvp-ing at lower levels. Doing this will ensure you survive more than 2 seconds in a bg, but it will also give you the opportunity to test out different abilities and be able to learn how to make split-second defensive and offensive reactions.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    This is why things are changing in WoD.

Honestly I wish they'd make random battlegrounds have normalised gear. Would be a good way to gear up then for Arena or RBG's or WPvP, and also be a quick test of skill for people who already have the gear.

But from what I've gathered a lot of PvPers aren't so interested in skill and prefer to pick on weaker targets. So yeah.
    They shouldn't downscale the gear of players. They should add a minimum item level in order to queue for battlegrounds. About the same as Heroic Dungeons. If you're too poor/lazy to craft/farm (PvP) gear, you shouldn't do PvP. It's really frustrating to see 2-3 people in your team in greens, with only 300k health. Especially around new seasons people tend to do this.

Crafted gear is only about 2-3k gold, even if you don't farm gold, you easily have 4-5k gold after buying epic flying when you ding 90. There's no excuse.

Edit: I'm very happy they're cutting back on sockets on gear. It's so sad to see people in LFR/random battlegrounds without gems/enchants. Gems are only 20-30g each and really do help a lot. Enchants are of course a little more expensive, they tend to be between 20-150g, except for weapon enchants.

I'm supposed to have little to no chance? I'm supposed to constantly lose over and over, having nothing at all to put up against most people? How can you consider that to be fun?

In an FPS game I can start fresh and still play very well and offer great resistance to long-time players. Heck, in an RTS game I atleast get seeded against people of my caliber, so when I play Starcraft 2 I don't get to face people playing at MLG level.

What homework? What am I meant to learn? Instead of telling me to be quiet and just learn, try to tell me WHAT to learn. Because unless you can actually tell me that, you're as full of it as you're saying that I am. For the record, I'm playing a resto shaman. What could I ever possible learn, that will prevent all this CC from happening to me? Please, enlighten me, instead of calling me ignorant. BEcause unless you can tell me, you're just as ignorant as you call me.
    May be you should just save yourself $15 a month and spend it on something you enjoy!

Play a blood dk in some pvp gear. You will never die.

I pvp as an ele shaman. In BG (both rated and unrated) its amazing, most ppl just let me free cast all day while trying to kill healers. In arena they all focus me (I play 2's with a ww monk and 3s adding a frost DK) and I just run around as a dog while my teammates punch the back of their skulls in.

Its def a learning curve, but its really really fun once you figure out how to stay alive.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminoth4 View Post
    Advice? Playing a Resto Shammy is a bad idea in Random BGs. I've noticed when I play my Shammy (Ele/Enhance) it is often full focused beyond anything else. Target the Blue is the attitude.

But yeah, it is a shit situation. I've got Characters in full Grievous who can go 100-0 in stun chains. Random BGs cc is thrown around like loot in LFR.
    So not only do I stand no chance against the CC, but I'm always gonna be everyone's focus becuase of my class choice? Absolutely wonderful... Thanks Blizz.

As a horde warlock who's getting back into some PVP I have no issues.

Of course, I can also figure out how to play in PVP.

So not only do I stand no chance against the CC, but I'm always gonna be everyone's focus becuase of my class choice? Absolutely wonderful... Thanks Blizz.
    Play ele till you get some Gear. Your first 2 purchases should be the 2 trinkets. Gives great survival.