Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New PC made from parts, please advise!

Hello Folks!

It's your Romanian Boomie, Sergiu and i need some help picking out a new computer since the last one i made was about 4 years ago and 25 man rading in WoW has gotten it's tool by now! So baically, i'm looking for a not so expensive replacement for my PC without having too much hopes that it's going to give me thousands and thousands of frames per second in raids.

My current spec is an AMD Athlon Phenom II Black edition dual core processor, 4 GB DDR3 at 1333 Mh (2 x 2gb), an Nvidia 430 GT video card, a 500 W power supply and a 1 TB Sata3 hard disk running at 7200 RPM.

My budget is about 500 Euro and to spend it i figured i could salvage the hard disk drive and give the rest of the PC (with an older 160 GB hard drive) to my mother for MS Office, Zuma and Solitaire use.

This would be my choices, since i don't need a monitor, a keyboard nor a mouse:

Processor - AMD Vision A10 6800K, 4100 MHz, FM2, 100W, 4MB, Black Edition (BOX)

Moatherboard - GIGABYTE F2A85XN-WIFI, AMD A85X, FM2, DDR III, SATA III, PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.0, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth

Video Card - GIGABYTE Radeon R7 260X OC, 2GB, GDDR5, 128bit, 2 x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, PCI-E 3.0

Memory - Kingston HyperX DDR3, 2x4GB, 1866MHz (XMP)

DVD-Writer - LG GH24NSB0, SATA, Bulk

Power supply - Floston FL500

Case - Cooltek K6.

Any and all help is appreciated, since i'm not so much of a hardware wizard.

Thanks in advance,

Collossuss of Hellfire, EU.

P.S. - apologies for not putting links to the products, but the site i picked them off from is in Romanian. Should this be a problem, i'll try and find links to all the products asap.

Later edit: i noticed i had an AMD processor, an AMD chipset motherboard and an nvidia videocard so i'm going for the R7 260x OC instead of the 650 Nvidia card.
    Last edited by Collossusss; 2014-03-02 at 12:18 AM.

If your goal is to play wow mainly go for intel, i3 4330 is far better than that AMD APU. If you play a varierity of games AMD cpu's can do the job fine.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow engine is so outdated it relies too much on the CPU over 50C in raids and gpu idles around 25C when i play skyrim cpu at 24C gpu 45C gtx 650 Ti MSI

Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    Wow engine is so outdated it relies too much on the CPU over 50C in raids and gpu idles around 25C when i play skyrim cpu at 24C gpu 45C gtx 650 Ti MSI
    That has nothing to do with outdated engines and everything to do with the format of the game. Skyrim doesn't need to sync dozens or even hundreds of other players moving around in realtime properly - other people are why WoW (and all mmo's) are CPU-bound.

Would recommend listening to megabeat if you are primarily a WoW player before other games - intel cpu's are going to do much more to reduce bottlenecking for you in WoW, primarily in 25man/open world activity with many active players.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindahuge View Post
    That has nothing to do with outdated engines and everything to do with the format of the game. Skyrim doesn't need to sync dozens or even hundreds of other players moving around in realtime properly - other people are why WoW (and all mmo's) are CPU-bound.

Would recommend listening to megabeat if you are primarily a WoW player before other games - intel cpu's are going to do much more to reduce bottlenecking for you in WoW, primarily in 25man/open world activity with many active players.
    Then what about gw2? neverwinter? star wars?

Thank you for your imput guys, so far i only made 3 configurations in my life, all of them AMD based.

Would anybody recommend me an Intel build within the budget of 500 - 550 Euros please ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collossusss View Post
    Later edit: i noticed i had an AMD processor, an AMD chipset motherboard and an nvidia videocard so i'm going for the R7 260x OC instead of the 650 Nvidia card.
    GPU chip has nothing to do with CPU and MB chips Only CPU and MB chips have to match.

500ish euro is more than enough for WoW, I picked some random website for Romania http://www.dc-shop.ro, they used ron and 500e is roughly 2.2k RON:

Procesor Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Socket 1150 Box Procesor Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Socket 1150 Box
    469 ron
    http://www.dc-shop.ro/procesoare/pro...et-1150-box-l/

Placa de baza Asus H81M-E Socket 1150 Placa de baza Asus H81M-E Socket 1150
    219 ron
    http://www.dc-shop.ro/placi-de-baza/...socket-1150-l/

Memorie KINGSTON 2x4GB DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 Memorie KINGSTON 2x4GB DDR3 Non-ECC CL9
    329 ron
    http://www.dc-shop.ro/memorii/memori...non_ecc-cl9-l/

Carcasa Zalman ZM-T2 Plus Fara Sursa Carcasa Zalman ZM-T2 Plus Fara Sursa
    99 ron
    http://www.dc-shop.ro/carcase/carcas...-fara-sursa-l/

Sursa Antec Basiq 450W VP450P Sursa Antec Basiq 450W VP450P
    204 ron
    http://www.dc-shop.ro/surse/sursa-an...450w-vp450p-l/

Placa video Sapphire Radeon R9 270X DualX OC 2GB DDR5 256Bit BF4 Placa video Sapphire Radeon R9 270X DualX OC 2GB DDR5 256Bit BF4
    884 ron
    http://www.dc-shop.ro/placi-video/pl...-256bit-bf4-l/

Total: 2,204 ron

If you want to get some better parts, you can get i3-4140 for roughly 80 RON more, not much you can upgrade with your budget (an SSD if around 300ron). If your CPU gets hot you can replace stock cooler, but it should be fine for WoW. I also didn't go for cheapest Mobo, cheapest one is like 40-50ron less.
    PM me weird stuff :3

thanks for the information!

I made a new Intel configuration that looks like this (basically the store recommended a new processor and i'm within 2500 Lei the budget i have):

Processor Intel Core i5-4440, LGA 1150, 6MB, 84W (BOX)

Motherboad GIGABYTE H87N-WIFI, Intel H87, LGA 1150, DDR III, SATA III, PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.0, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth

Video card GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 650 OC, 2GB, GDDR5, 128bit, DVI, HDMI, VGA

Memory Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, 2x4GB, 1600MHz

Case Floston Winner II, 500W power supply included.

Optical unit DVD-Writer LG GH24NSB0, SATA, Bulk

what do you guys think of this set-up ?

just noticed i can't post links; thanks in advance for the trouble!

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for the information!

I made a new Intel configuration that looks like this (basically the store recommended a new processor and i'm within 2500 Lei the budget i have):

Processor Intel Core i5-4440, LGA 1150, 6MB, 84W (BOX)

Motherboad GIGABYTE H87N-WIFI, Intel H87, LGA 1150, DDR III, SATA III, PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.0, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth

Video card GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 650 OC, 2GB, GDDR5, 128bit, DVI, HDMI, VGA

Memory Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, 2x4GB, 1600MHz

Case Floston Winner II, 500W power supply included.

Optical unit DVD-Writer LG GH24NSB0, SATA, Bulk

what do you guys think of this set-up ?

just noticed i can't post links; thanks in advance for the trouble!
    Well, the 650 is muuuuch weaker than 270x, so don't expect ultra with smooth FPS due to GPU.
    Also buying i5 non K for WoW is not worth getting weaker GPU over.
    i3 is more than enough for WoW with decent GPU.

thanks for the replay!

the guys at the store recommended the processor and the GPU was a budget choice.

guess i thought it's always better to buy a more powerful processor / motherboard combination and upgrade the video card later if needed.

Sadly i just made the order before catching your post so i ended up ordering the GTX 650 OC andthe Icore 5 processor.

I'm not expecting the game to run on ultra but i do hope it would be an improvement from the pc i have now.
    Last edited by Collossusss; 2014-03-04 at 10:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The guys at the store is bad.

Although 4440 does cost less than the 4670k by $40~, the motherboard is an ITX model coupled with a ATX Mid tower case, while you can do it it's pretty... odd. While there is nothing really wrong with ITX if you're going for it, that motherboard is $120 fyi, not a budget board.

Budget you'd want to go i3-4330 which is about $130 and a H81 Mobo for $50-60.

If your budget allows you'd generally want to get a Z87 board which can cost $100 for the ASRock one, and the CPU for $230.

While a 650 is truly a budget GPU, you'd rather get a 750Ti or 660 at the moment for only $30 more.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for the replay!

the guys at the store recommended the processor and the GPU was a budget choice.

guess i thought it's always better to buy a more powerful processor / motherboard combination and upgrade the video card later if needed.

Sadly i just made the order before catching your post so i ended up ordering the GTX 650 OC andthe Icore 5 processor.

I'm not expecting the game to run on ultra but i do hope it would be an improvement from the pc i have now.

Can't you cancel the order?
    It's only been less than a day and I doubt they have shipped it already.

10+ Year Old Account
    The power supply looks dodgy too.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The power supply looks dodgy too.
    It's mind boggling how people ask for advice then decide to completely ignore it >.>

i didn't completely ignore it, but apparently the guys at the store have no idea of what they're doing.

i'll differently cancel the order now.

just to recap:

i want an I3 4330 processor and a H81 motherboard to go with it plus the Sapphire Radeon R9 270X, right?

now considering your replays, the new configuration should be:

Intel - Procesor Intel Core i3-4340, LGA 1150, 4MB, 54W - (BOX) - 672 RON

GIGABYTE - Motherboard GIGABYTE H81M-HD3, Intel H81, LGA 1150, DDR III, SATA III, USB 3.0 - 239 RON

GIGABYTE - Video Card GIGABYTE Radeon R9 270X OC, 2GB, GDDR5, 256-bit, 2 x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, PCI-E 3.0 + Battlefield 4 - 899 RON

Kingston - Memory Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, 2x4GB, 1600MHz 349 RON

Western Digital - HDD Desktop Western Digital Caviar Blue, 1TB, SATA III 600, 64MB Buffer - 239 RON

DVD-Writer LG GH24NSB0, SATA, Bulk - 78 RON

Zalman - Case Z3 Plus (Black) - 169 RON

Zalman - Zalman Power supply ZM500-GLX, 500W or Zalman - Power supply ZM600-LX, 600W - 199 RON (both are the same price)

That brings me up to a total of 2845 RON, or 630 Euro.

As i see it, what comes after the video card, namely the memory, the HDD, DVD Writer, case and power supply i'm getting pretty much the best buy i can get so roughly 1000 RON is stuck either way (not sure about the power supply since i picked that purely on cost and efficiency). I was hoping i could use an older HDD but i'll soon have to take that in for service so ... i need a new HDD as well. There would be the option of cheeping out and get a case with a 500 W power supply included for 150 RON but mot people advise against those.

So how does my new PC look like now ?

P.S. regarding the cost of most electronics here in Romania, you'd be amazed to find out the fact that even if a dollar is 3.28 RON most stuff reaches our stores with lots of tax hence i love what Cyrops did in his first post by gathering the prices in RON to begin with.
    Last edited by Collossusss; 2014-03-04 at 04:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have only bad experience with GB mobos, so I would personally avoid them (personal opinion).
    Build looks good, my 7y+ PC is still running on the same Zalman PSU, but you can run your system on quality 400-450W, like the one I linked in my first post, you will also save up SOME electricity.

I only had Gigabyte Motherboards so far and i'm pleased, hence i may be buying the brand here but just a lil' bit.

So i should go for the 500 W power with the current set-up ? Noticed that the video card alone has a 500 W power supply recommendation. The only thing i will be adding to this is either the serviced Segate Barracuda 1TB i have now or an SSD in his place.
    Last edited by Collossusss; 2014-03-04 at 05:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So i should go for the 500 W power with the current set-up ? Noticed that the video card alone has a 500 W power supply recommendation.
    Recommendations mean for the whole system
    I am running double 270x on 500W PSU atm.

Cool and thanks again for your recommendations. I'll make a post regarding the actual performance in a few days, after i get all the parts and install WoW.

Well, like i promised i got my new PC together.

Now the only thing i could not find off the last list was the processor, so i went with the one under it, the Icore 3 4330 processor. At the moment i'm trying to recover the data of the faulty 1 TB HDD so i didn't get a chance to play yet, but the Windows experience index gives me the following scores:

Processor - 7.3
    Memory - 7.6
    Graphics - 7.9
    Gaming graphics - 7.9
    Primary hard disk - 5.9.

At this point all should be great at least until i can afford an SSD to install windows on it.

Thanks again for your help!