Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Crit modifier in WoD PvP

Will crit be 150% all the time or just in PvP?
    Just in PvP. Likewise Multistrike will only get 1 extra roll against players (instead of 2 against monsters).
    So crit will be be right off the bad worst stat for PvP. DO. NOT. LIKE.
    also
    please make all stats for all specs much more equal in wod. Don't want what should be an upgrade to feel bad.
    Yes, making all stats much closer in value is planned for WoD.
    lol

rather stupid for things like chaos bolt and lava burst.

oh cool 100% crit means the spell is reduced in damage 100% of the time vs players, rather unfair....

The ironic thing is: they said they wanted to remove things like base resilience and battle fatigue. Yet instead of removing them (I'm 99% sure they aren't), they're adding a third modifier to PvP, it's pretty dumb.

I was expecting going back to 150%crit domifier, but i though it would be like.. baseline; not just in or for PvP but... globally.
    That means crit will be worst PvP secondary stat right away or PvP items will provide 50% more crit to make it "on par" with other stats- but that would have it consequences in PvE so...

150% modifier on crit is a good thing, specially PvP wise, in PvE too.

+Seditian
    i agree, i have had some hope they would finally "normalize" damage and healing in PvP

PvPpower/resilience and battle fatigue might have seemed like a nice band-aid but in the end they made situation even worse

also, i was always wondering why aren't they balancing damage/healing around PvP and then adjust PvE numbers, instead they are doing it other way around
    If it was done as I said it would not affect PvE in any negative way but would help with getting rational numbers in PvP, something you just cant achieve doing it their way
    I know "PvE game"....
    Last edited by FAILoZOFF; 2014-03-02 at 12:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was ok with this until i find out it was a PvP only thing. This means they wont increase the crit chance you get from crit rating for PvE balance. Thus crit rating will end up being the worst pvp stat for everyone.

Yeah, thats exacly whats on my mind.
    It would be more or less that same dps/hps w/e character would have 25%crit/200%mod or 50%crit/150%mod (granted it would come with re-adjusting some crit relying procs like shooting stars) but for PvE and added multistrike(?) it would smoothen combat too. Meaning it would be lesser difference between multicrit multistrike in a streak an noncrit non multistrike proc on cooldowns.

And with reforging removed it should be much harder/impossible to cap crit rating (and thats the worst possibility that can happen with 150% crit mod as crit values should be proportionally higher to keep stat in line with other stats).

I dont even know why can't they just set all crits at 150%. There are like no bad-sides because of this change, not even in PvE.
    Smooth damage/healing = less rng

Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    I dont even know why can't they just set all crits at 150%. There are like no bad-sides because of this change, not even in PvE.
    Smooth damage/healing = less rng
    Critical strike has (in most cases) meant to do double damage in pretty much any type of RPG.

Resilence / Battle Fatigue will only need to be at 40% or less in WoD, which is perfectly fine by me. 150% crit damage on players will solve the whole 100-0 we have now. PVP power will either be kept as is, or perhaps add crit damage.

I am looking forward to it, PVP will be less about "Oh damn, look at like 190328409 crit" and more about actual gameplay.

Who says crit is going to be a bad stat? Who uses it right now? Fire mages/MM Hunters/Monks, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadNeos View Post
    Who says crit is going to be a bad stat? Who uses it right now? Fire mages/MM Hunters/Monks, that's it.
    It's not just crit as a stat that's a problem, the crit modifier being changed is a big thing for many classses.

For Elemental (what I play), Lava Burst is the bulk of our damage. This spell always crits and because of this we don't stack crit. This nerf would mean Lava Burst just always does 25% less damage. Can't say I'm super happy about that.

The same would apply to Destruction Warlocks and Chaos Bolt (which also always crits), I'd imagine they're not over the moon that their most powerful, resource-driven spell, will now hit for about the same as a Frostbolt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    It's not just crit as a stat that's a problem, the crit modifier being changed is a big thing for many classses.

For Elemental (what I play), Lava Burst is the bulk of our damage. This spell always crits and because of this we don't stack crit. This nerf would mean Lava Burst just always does 25% less damage. Can't say I'm super happy about that.

The same would apply to Destruction Warlocks and Chaos Bolt (which also always crits), I'd imagine they're not over the moon that their most powerful, resource-driven spell, will now hit for about the same as a Frostbolt.
    Don't forget Frost and Fire mages here as well as arcane mages in PvP. Mages rely on shatter -a lot-. Blizzard will have to compensate for the damage loss, by increasing the base damage. But that would mean those who rely on crit a lot in PvP will be doing too much DPS in PvE. While it's an OK concept, they'll end up having more trouble balancing this with PvE and PvP in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post

and the same for everyone else, maybe rets, rogues, and dk's won't feel it as bad

The OP stated he didn't like crit being the worst stat, and went on to say that 150% should be base-line

All I'm saying is crit is a pretty useless stat right now anyway, except Fire mages/MM hunters/WW Monks, everyone else is either benefiting from mastery/haste

I don't know how they're going to let all specs use the same stats either, tanking stats =/= healing stats =/= dps stats or dodge =/= spirit =/= haste

Just trust them, and be glad pvp burst is getting reduced

10+ Year Old Account
    yea, that change is going to reaaaally hurt rogues.

i think maybe the winners of a nerf like that are mages tbh (outside of stuff like aff locks). obv crazy early to say anything but this is already looking like a very interesting expansion.

But i can't understand in any way, what is the point of causing such shenenigans where they could as well just throw normalized 150% crit modifier for all and be done with it.
    Having different crit modifiers in PvP and in PvE is BFatique PvPpower/resi all over again.
    Heals have had 150% crit mod well into cata i believe and i felt it was kind of smoother back then. Now some healing spells when they crit can easily heal from 10%hp to 100%. That is not a good gameplay. Crit shoud be a bonus/additional damage/healing and not make or break your damage/healing. Specially if you consider added Multistrike too, which in its concept is more or less crit chance for binary spells (that only deal healing/damage).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    But i can't understand in any way, what is the point of causing such shenenigans where they could as well just throw normalized 150% crit modifier for all and be done with it.
    Having different crit modifiers in PvP and in PvE is BFatique PvPpower/resi all over again.
    Heals have had 150% crit mod well into cata i believe and i felt it was kind of smoother back then. Now some healing spells when they crit can easily heal from 10%hp to 100%. That is not a good gameplay. Crit shoud be a bonus/additional damage/healing and not make or break your damage/healing. Specially if you consider added Multistrike too, which in its concept is more or less crit chance for binary spells (that only deal healing/damage).
    Naw, it's fine imo. If they remove instants and force the large returns into healing casts.. I feel like that's a step up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why they haven't just balanced PvP, and then balanced PvE around PvP is beyond me. It'd be much less detrimental for both game-types and there'd be no need for PvP Power, Resilience or a 150% critical strike modifier either.

Everybody wins.

is it me or does that new stat " multistrike" feel like a premonition to disaster in the burst department ?

even if it's capped to 1 extra attack it's still an rng based mechanic that seems very bursty in design.

I cant help but wonder what goes on in devs' heads when they design things : " hey guys we're going to reduce burst and CC and crit damage in WoD so dw it's going to be awesome!..... jk multistrike (insert troll smile here).

Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    Don't forget Frost and Fire mages here as well as arcane mages in PvP. Mages rely on shatter -a lot-. Blizzard will have to compensate for the damage loss, by increasing the base damage. But that would mean those who rely on crit a lot in PvP will be doing too much DPS in PvE. While it's an OK concept, they'll end up having more trouble balancing this with PvE and PvP in mind.
    Does it mean no more 100-0 mage burst? Hell yeah

On top of that, it will help balance characters with huge burst that often rely on crit (Rogues Mages Destolocks Warriors)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    Does it mean no more 100-0 mage burst? Hell yeah

On top of that, it will help balance characters with huge burst that often rely on crit (Rogues Mages Destolocks Warriors)
    You have to keep in mind that some burst specs are one trick ponies. Take away their burst and they're left with nothing, unless the specs are fundamentally changed.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    You have to keep in mind that some burst specs are one trick ponies. Take away their burst and they're left with nothing, unless the specs are fundamentally changed.
    Hello Elemental.