The Boiling Icelake - an original 10v10 battleground
The following article is meant to give you smiles/laughs while maintaining a serious possible concept.
/10char comments are intolerable, please respect this work that took me lot of time to realize. Ty!
Well this is a crazy idea. Hope you appreciate it, so let's start.
2) Environment (skippable)
4) Victory condition
5) Generators (skippable)
7) Racial masses' list
8) Classes' allowed abilities
9-10-11) Achievements (skippable)
12) Conclusion (skippable)
13) VIDEO = Icegliders: the Wc3 map that inspired me (must watch)
In Frostfire Ridge, the cold territory of Draenor, the attention of curious Gnome engineers has been captured by the strange activity of a dead volcano. They discovered a frozen lake on the crater of the volcano, under which there are impetuous boiling waters. Supposed to be dead, the volcano turned instead active and the lake at its top is literally boiling. But the glacial winds over this huge mountain keep the surface of the lake well frozen, resulting it in continuous geyser activities and various ice-melting. The smart gnomes have been the first among the other races to see this lake as a possible source of energy.
They built a base atop of the volcano where are actually experimenting dynamo-based generators to extract energy from the boiling waters, by drilling the icy surface to create artificial geysers. Working hard and supported by the Alliance (which just have to trust them) the hostile environment is seriously dangerous, with earth, fire, water and ice fighting each other in an apparently stable and natural battle.
The Horde, keeping Frostfire Ridge since their arrival in Draenor, was already suspicious about the volcano but without giving him too much attention. Recently, a clan of Tauren, afraid of the many weird noises, realized that something was going wrong about the natural balance of the elements.
Their discovering of the gnomish establishments turned both the explorations into another conflict that called entirely both the Horde and the Alliance to fight for their allies. Another conflict surely well seen by the Iron Horde that is quickly becoming stronger, while the Alliance and the Horde are, once again, focusing on their affairs.
While Tauren shamans are exaggeratedly mad about the possibility of a cataclysmic release of the fury of the volcano, Gnomes are instead determinate to study and drill the lake to drain a new form of energy and will defend their base at every cost.
While the other people of the Alliance can't let the Horde ruin their work, the rest of the Horde certainly can't let them occupy their ground, apocalypse or not, energy or not.
But this time is not only a battle between the two main factions. The fury of the raw elements is unleashed over both the Alliance and the Horde, with the air freezing your bones and the fire trying to devour you.
You will be unable to fight as you are used to. Discover yourself over the surface of The Boiling Icelake, you won't be the same in the most extreme nature you've ever faced.
Rise up, champion, once again. Your faction calls you to defend the honor of your family and your friends. But leave your weapon behind, and be ready to... literally clash your enemies.
2) Environment: The Lake = the lake is likely as huge as the Warsong Gulch battlefield, to host a 10 vs 10 fight. The icy surface is white (run away if going transparent) and most of the border perimeter is unprotected, see image. The Volcano = as the lake is formed into the crater of a dead volcano, you'll have some spikes around that can prevents you from falling. But hey, we are in a fantasy world, and from here you can fall off the lake, off the mountain.
Bg name = The Boiling Icelake
Bg type = survival
Bg duration = 15 minutes
Bg victory condition = 500 liters of steam extracted (alliance) or <500 liters of steam preserved (horde)
Bg location = dead volcano in Frostfire Ridge (Draenor)
Bg reason = Taurens and Gnomes are protagonist races of this conflict.
4) Victory condition:
0 >>>|>>>>>>>>>> 500 liters of steam
The left side (horde) will ends in victory if disables enough Generators from extracting steam. In fact the right side (alliance) will win if the bar reaches the top before the 15 minutes, by having extracted more than liters of steams.
It would be, in fact, the first battleground in WoW to have 2 different goals depending to the faction. The alliance can only achieve victory if the game ends before the time limit. The Horde instead has to "wait" the end of the battleground which will result into a win.
It has taken me a lot of work and imagination to invent a new kind of battleground, considering how many of them are existing actually. Having something unique is an hard thing in WoW with all the content Blizzard is giving us.
These crazy gnomish experiments are called "Steamdriller Generators" and are only testing the possibility to convert free hydro-energy into electricity. Technology is evolving even in Warcraft. Are these Generators a danger for the enormous but delicate volcano as the wise shamanic Taurens say?
The game starts with 5 inactive Steamdriller Generators around the lake which are disabled by default. Task of the Alliance is to activate them and defend the production. Role of the Horde is to prevent Alliance to activate them, and disable those that have been activated.
Both operations (activation and disabling) take 10 seconds to cast. Any movement (active or passive) will cancel the action. How quick is the production?
every active generator drains 1 liter of water every 5 seconds.
this means that with 1 active Generator the Alliance makes 0-500 in 2500 seconds (41,67 minutes)
this means that with 2 Generators the Alliance makes 0-500 in 1250 seconds (20.83 minutes)
this means that with 3 Generators the Ally makes 0-500 in 833 seconds (13.89 minutes)
this means that with 4 Generators they make 0-500 in 625 seconds (10.42 minutes)
this means that with 5 Generators takes 0-500 in 500 seconds (8.33 minutes) Isn't the Alliance more likely to win with such production?
Remember that Generators are inactive at start. How can I see if a Generator is active?
On map you can see if they are red or blue. You will also see its drainpipe releasing lot of steam. You will also have a raid warning ("A Steamdriller Generator has been de/activated!").
6) Mechanics: Commands = You can't "S", walk backward. If you want to stop you have to rotate your character and run enough to the opposite side until stops. Mass = depends by the race. See the following list. Huge mass means slow acceleration but huge collisions caused. Races with low masses have instead quicker accelerations but vulnerable on impact taken and require faster movement to generate powerful collisions. Collision = characters collide and the impact move them. Collision causes damage to the enemy depending to the power of the impact. Death has to be preferably caused by falling. Acceleration = depends by the mass, there is not a speed limit, but ofc you cannot reach like 500% speed due to centrifugal force. Speed = hey remember that it's hard to brake while gliding. Melted Surface = A circular area on the surface melts. The effect can be progressively seen and avoided. The area fades slowly from white to transparent in a 3 seconds "countdown". Any player over it will fall and die. The melted ice will be reformed after 5 seconds. Geyser's Eruption = this mechanic is already present in the game.
8) Classes' allowed ability: You will have only this ability available. Consider they will all have a 1 minute cooldown. Also none of these abilities will be improved by talents or glyphs Death Knight: Death Grip (the grip accelerates the target movement by twice).*tip: use it if you are moving quite fast to prevent to grab the enemy on you and suffer from a suicidal impact. So use it smartly to cause no collision on you. Druid: Flight Form (you can use it just for 3 seconds but doesn't increase your movement speed and resets it to its normal value. If used properly allows to survive a "Melted Surface"!) Hunter: Disengage (doesn't affects the actual acceleration) Mage: Ice Block (instantly blocks and reset your movement, also reflects any collision received to the chargers) Monk: Roll (use it wisely on ice). Paladin: Divine Shield (immune to impact received and your collisions will be 2x more powerful on enemies) Priest: Leap of Faith (save people! You don't collide between allies and doesn't affect target's movement speed) Rogue: Evasion (uncollidable if charged frontally, chargers will pass through you) Shaman: Spiritwalker's Grace (for 5 seconds allows you to move faster without gliding and immune to moshes, but damage taken from collisions will be doubled) Warlock: Howl of Terror (nearby enemies lose their control for 3 seconds). Warrior: Heroic Leap (doesn't affect the actual acceleration. Sorry but Charge would have been OP)
9) Achievements: (Horde)
Icelake Defender = win your first match.
Icelake Protector = win 10 matches.
Icelake Guardian = win 50 matches.
Icelake Keeper = win 100 matches. Grants the title "Steamkeeper <name>"
Is it OFF? = deactivate your first Steamdriller Generator.
Not In My Lake! = deactivate 5 Steamdriller Generators in a match.
The Bio-Squad = win without losing one single liter of steam.
10) Achievements: (Alliance)
Icelake Attacker = win your first match.
Icelake Assaulter = win 10 matches.
Icelake Veteran = win 50 matches.
Icelake Conqueror = win 100 matches. Grants the title "Steamdriller <name>"
Is it ON? = activate your first Steamdriller Generator.
Gonna Empty It! = activate 5 Steamdriller Generators in a match.
Steam Overload = win with 5 active Steamdriller Generators.
11) Achievements: (both)
Boom Baby! = throw your first enemy off the volcano.
Moshing Like A Goat = throw two enemies off the volcano in a match without dying.
Moshing Like A Stag = throw three enemies off the volcano in a match without dying.
Moshing Like A Bison = throw four enemies off the volcano in a match without dying.
Moshing Like A Mammoth = throw five enemies off the volcano in a match without dying.
The Icelake Bully = achieve the most kills by throwing enemies off the volcano.
I Cooked Him = throw your first enemy into a melted surface.
They Say It Was Funny = get struck by a geyser.
The Ice Skater = Survive the entire match.
- Enjoy an exciting system, where your movement skill is everything.
- Use your brain to survive in crazy physical conditions.
- Point an enemy and try to knock him down the volcano.
- Use enemies' bodies and any natural barrier to save yourself or just try to stop before falling.
- Beware of accelerations, you can easily make enemies laugh.
- Charge like a mad bull only if you are sure to hit the victim.
- Love mathematics by calculation trajectories.
- Improve your intelligence (just supposed, not tested).
13) VIDEO = Icegliders: the Wc3 map that inspired me
Last edited by Ricirich91; 2014-03-02 at 02:46 AM.
The United States of America, Rapture, or Orgrimmar
Overall, I like it. A few tweaks would have to be made, but I really like this. Random
Originally Posted by Yvaelle
You can't fight porn on the internet, you may as well declare war on something overwhelming like water on Earth's surface - or something ephemeral like "terror" (lol sorry, had to do it) - or something both overwhelming and ephemeral... like porn on the internet.
I'd cut out 6, 7 and 8 and just turn it into a resource-gathering map via disabling generators/gathering steam...I understand your inspiration for the idea but I'm not sure that wow players would go for it, one ability and just smacking into people...players would either LOVE it or hate it, lol.
Map is a cool idea though, I'd love to have a battleground involving a lake in the middle of a volcano! Could see another map idea involving chunks of debris and molten lava instead of a lake in the middle. Hmm...
Overall, I like it. A few tweaks would have to be made, but I really like this. Random
Thank you. That was indeed my point: giving an idea both original and interesting.
Originally Posted by Celista
I'd cut out 6, 7 and 8 and just turn it into a resource-gathering map via disabling generators/gathering steam...I understand your inspiration for the idea but I'm not sure that wow players would go for it, one ability and just smacking into people...players would either LOVE it or hate it, lol. Map is a cool idea though, I'd love to have a battleground involving a lake in the middle of a volcano! Could see another map idea involving chunks of debris and molten lava instead of a lake in the middle. Hmm...
Yes everything I wrote is likely an example. The real point is the gliding thing and the influence of the environment (see Geysers and Melted Surface). About gliding it's hard to really understand without watching the video
Originally Posted by Normie
Would be impossible to balance as is, but instead of assigning abilities/weight per class/race, you could require everyone to play in vehicles, which would have a balanced distribution of abilities.
This is interesting, featuring a gameplay into vehicles would give everyone the same weight. Agree but some fun might be miss.
I'm not a fan of the gathering/defending idea. I would love it if it merely was each team has xx respawns and the whole goal is to kill the other team and win. The vehicles thing is a nice touch too but just a random movement AB/BoA isn't that great to me.