Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Recommend a pair of shoes please.

Ordering some boots for my father and was hoping the fine folk of the General Off-Topic might have some insight. He walks a lot, mostly in his farm. His current no-name sneakers had some sharp rock penetrate one of em. So you can imagine the sort of terrain he walks on. Price is not really an issue so long it buys quality.

Was looking at these two, Bates and Muckboots. They have great reviews, just not sure the Bates one would be comfortable for walking for a 70 year old man. Especially if it doesn't bend well on its upper half. Are there any good/better brands out there I may have missed? Cheers.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

If I were walking a lot on rough terrain, I'd buy good trail running shoes. For lots of movement, nothing beats running shoes, and the ones that are built for trails have crazy durable soles. I'm partial to Saucony, but all the running brands are very good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Basemath View Post
    They have great reviews, just not sure the Bates one would be comfortable for walking for a 70 year old man. Especially if it doesn't bend well on its upper half. Are there any good/better brands out there I may have missed? Cheers.
    I have problems with my left ankle and those rigid upper part shoes are supporting it.
    I prefer ankle boots for that reason if hes not sprinting those should be fine but i wouldnt buy those.

Shoes with rubber parts on the front tend to wear out faster since those lashes get loose after awhile and since shoes have to fit i wouldnt recommened to order them online for him anyway :>

Good point Davillage with the upper part thing. Problem is, where I live, these sort of brands never make it here. I'd be lucky to find ridiculously overpriced Caterpillars or Harley Davidsons for boots, void of any water proofing, etc... Your comment about the rubber parts, only for the Bates one? You like the Muckboots?

It's also ridiculously hot here, which rules out those llbeans Themius linked. Some running shoes for city trips, perhaps those Sauconys, would be nice though. I feel like splurging for him so might add a pair to the cart.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

You ever see any Sketchers or Merrell footwear in your area? Get the most rugged looking pair of those and he'll probably appreciate them.

(E.g: Merrell or Sketchers) Suggesting these 2 brands as they are usually STUPIDLY comfortable footwear.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2014-03-02 at 05:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    A pair with soles is a great start.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    Good point Davillage with the upper part thing. Problem is, where I live, these sort of brands never make it here. I'd be lucky to find ridiculously overpriced Caterpillars or Harley Davidsons for boots, void of any water proofing, etc... Your comment about the rubber parts, only for the Bates one? You like the Muckboots?
    The muck boots look terrible and really unfunctional in my oppinion :>
    I have leather boots and use spray to make them water repellent once a month or something.

Just as example which kind of sole I prefer.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-M...-/290987958410

I break the soles though on those overtime but it takes longer than with the others where those rubber things just peel of.

If you want sharp rock safe boots you would have to go for work boots not trekking because they have a layer to prevent you from accidently walking into a nail avoided that barely last year.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2014-03-02 at 05:18 AM.

Merrell makes really nice footwear, a little pricey, but worth it.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Men-Footwear-Boots

I grew up on a farm. I generally wore hiking boots for everyday use and trail riding. I wore Timberlands a lot. They were fairly light weight, nice ankle support, soft/comfortable, and did a good job of keeping water/mud off my feet.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's also ridiculously hot here
    Being a bit more specific on where "here" is might help us.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    If you want sharp rock safe boots you would have to go for work boots not trekking because they have a layer to prevent you from accidently walking into a nail avoided that barely last year.
    What you're talking about is called an "armoured sole" or "puncture resistant". Most work boots don't have them, as it makes the boot heavier and most people don't need them. You'll need to specifically look for boots with one. like these ones on Amazon or these at a dedicated work clothing store.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

As a couple of posters have said look into Merrell, great sole, long lasting, comfortable and rugged. A bit pricy but Would you build a house on a shitty foundation? Of course not, well don't put your feet in shitty shoes.

Been wearing Merrells exclusively for about 10 years now.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

As per recommendations, looked into some Merrells and I quite like them. Thanks. Might go for either Merrell-1 or Merrel-2. Leaning more towards the second one cuz its floor seems more flattened. Those Merrells seem like a balance between city life and country life. Not designed solely for one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Being a bit more specific on where "here" is might help us.
    I doubt it but sure. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Country-life here CANNOT be compared to, for example, Canada's. Think of my dad's farm as a whole lot of rocky roads, sand, mountains, and mud during rainy winters. Or is that how it is in Canada? ("_) When I think of Canada's country-life, I think heaven. Ours, hell >< Also yes those puncture resistant boots seem quite heavy.

As per recommendations, looked into some Merrells and I quite like them. Thanks. Might go for either Merrell-1 or Merrel-2. Leaning more towards the second one cuz its floor seems more flattened. Those Merrells seem like a balance between city life and country life. Not designed solely for one or the other.
    I'd go for the Moabs (option 1) over the ProTerras (option 2) seeing as the ProTerra is a minimalist trail shoe, basically designed to be as close to barefoot walking as you can get while still offering some protection to the foot. The Moabs on the other hand....so comfy, I have 3 pairs (2 low cuts, and a mid height just like you're looking at.) One of which is over 5 years old and while beat to hell, torn up, lacking anything related to tread and are no longer waterproof, are still one of my most comfortable pairs of shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasttey View Post
    I'd go for the Moabs (option 1) over the ProTerras (option 2) seeing as the ProTerra is a minimalist trail shoe, basically designed to be as close to barefoot walking as you can get while still offering some protection to the foot. The Moabs on the other hand....so comfy, I have 3 pairs (2 low cuts, and a mid height just like you're looking at.) One of which is over 5 years old and while beat to hell, torn up, lacking anything related to tread and are no longer waterproof, are still one of my most comfortable pairs of shoes.

Im with this guy Moabs are great.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.bellevilleboot.com/shop/i...12#prettyPhoto

This right here is the best boot I ever bought. Comfortable, durable, never gave me blisters. Just an outstanding boot.

Deleted
    I'm not an expert but i would say you atleast need a right foot one and a left foot one.

Sperrys.

Then buy him a boat.

Thank you all for the tips, much appreciated. You convinced me/him to go with the Moab. He didn't like the idea of the other minimalist shoe feeling barefoot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If I were walking a lot on rough terrain, I'd buy good trail running shoes. For lots of movement, nothing beats running shoes, and the ones that are built for trails have crazy durable soles. I'm partial to Saucony, but all the running brands are very good.
    you can use it anywhere. I agree with you!