Thread: Gravity [MOVIE]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Technical Oscars, fine. The acting was unremarkable and the writing was awful.

The plot was nonsense, the science was outright impossible.

They could have ditched the stuff with Hubble (it's way too far away to be hit by orbiting satellite debris), ditched the rapidly expanding debris field destroying every other satellite, ditched the impossible traveling to multiple space stations, ditched the Chinese space station altogether, ditched the whole subplot about her recently deceased daughter, made her an actually capable person who knows what they are doing, ditched the "I never landed it in the simulations, but I can do it when it counts" junk, and give George Clooney's character a personality beyond "George Clooney in space." Ditch more of the random disasters and near misses. Ditch the terrible "you can do it" ghost-dream. Maybe come up with a less improbable ending...

Basically, set it on and around the ISS, and make the protagonist someone who would feasibly be allowed in space. You can hit just as many story beats without a bunch of Michael Bay disaster movie BS.
    Without all that it would be... boring.
    Movie was spectacular, but still, too much hype. Wouldnt watch again. Hobbit, on the other hand... Yeah, will be going to theater again.

i liked it. one of those movies where if someone asked you say "ya it was alright" but not one of those movies that you go into detail to describe it.

Good FX and directing. I didn't feel Gravity deserved Best Cinematography due to the fact that 99.9% of it was CGI and manipulated in post. It's at that point in filmmaking that there needs to be two categories. One for "in camera/live-action" Cinematography and one for "live-action/composite/animation." If most of the composition, modeling, and animation is done digitally then why not nominate Danielle Feinberg and Jeremy Lasky for their work on WALL-E, Toy Story 3, or Brave? There was some great lighting and composition, etc. in all of those animated features.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone remember the movie "Open Water" where the couple was trapped in the middle of the ocean or the movie Buried where Ryan Reynolds was buried in a casket? Pretty much what Gravity was. Gravity deserved most of its wins because its a technical movie above anything else. Was the movie overhyped, of course. Did it earn its Oscars, yes. Will people forget about it, yes.

Any space theme, especially ones that could happen IRL, fascinate me.

The concept was brilliant, honestly. But even while watching the trailer months before it came out I couldn't help but ask myself just how could you squeeze the idea of being detached from your shuttle over 90 minutes?

I wasn't disappointed but then again I wasn't really expecting much and that's exactly what I got. Id say its a fairly rounded 5.

Off topic but I used to despise Clooney when I was younger but as I'm getting older and seeing him in more pics, I'm liking him more and more. Getting the same feeling for Ruffalo. He was great in Thanks for Sharing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Without all that it would be... boring.
    Disagree. They could've had just as many thriller moments without destroying every sattelite in orbit, a space shuttle, and two space stations. And just how many times do we need to see a couple people go "no, no, no!" before just barely grabbing onto a wire, rail, or tool with their pinky finger for it to be considered exciting?

Personally, what disappointed me the most was that it dealt very little with the psychological terror of being trapped in space. Instead, it resorted to hackneyed personal emotional BS ("my daughter died," "don't leave me George Clooney," "thanks for the pep talk, ghost-dream, now I can land this pod.").

And, again, a competant protagonist would've been welcome. Instead of having her disobeying orders, pushing random buttons, giving up, remembering her training because of a ghost-dream (once again, a ghost-dream), and nearly drowning herself twice after returning to Earth, she could've maybe actually dealt with real problems, real technical difficulties, real terror. That would've been much more compelling, to me, than one case of "I don't know what to do" after another.

That's just me, though. For my money's worth, there's way better hard SF out there. The CGI tracking shots are gorgeous, though.

Deleted
    Nice special effects, and that's about it, it was ok on 30" but, not really interresting one. If i wanted to see space i'd rather watch documentary instead, it would be probably more interesting to watch.