Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    it depends on your sched and it depends on your program? if you want to lose a weight well you can make it 3 to 4 as long you can lift. Do not force your self instead make a stretch, some people are using med like weight mass pro bla bla bla me only milk soup with egg and rice vitamins sleep a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    This just isn't true about 96.537% of the time. If I did nothing but bicep curls for an hour straight, you might have a point. Most people don't do that, though.

Increased cortisol levels haven't been proven to outweigh the benefits of the extra training stimulus you achieve in the additional time you're training. Other factors like rest times are also going to affect this. Your average weight lifter probably spends at least half of the time (usually much more) he's in the gym recovering between sets. If he's not doing the kind of training that would necessitate these kinds of rest intervals, he's probably doing something for which you wouldn't be able to put together a compelling case for excessive muscular fatigue anyway (cardio, circuits, full-body workouts, etc).
    To be fair, even that aside, doing such long workouts is pretty pointless anyway. If you're doing sufficiently intense training you shouldn't need to spend that much time lifting, you should've already mostly shredded the muscle fibres long before then.
    Last edited by Aqueous; 2014-03-12 at 08:30 PM.

Deleted
    1/1.5 hours 4/5 times a week mainly for building muscle mass.

Usually work on 2 muscle types per session (eg. chest and tris), 3 exercises per muscle type, 3-4 sets per exercise.

During the summer or if I'm in a time free mood I'll swim and steam room for another 30-45 mins.

Have a trainer and we do 30min high intensity sessions. Seen great results with this. The one thing is you need to do also is cardio.

One thing that I did change was what I eat and still think you need to be eating right. Can work out for hours but if your not getting the right things in your body you won't see the results your wanting.

It really depends on the program. Usually I am there for about 1-1.5 hours, but the people that stick around longer might also be doing sets that require longer breaks (high weight, low reps). For those sets, it is recommended to take longer breaks, even up to 5 minutes between sets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabudai View Post
    Have a trainer and we do 30min high intensity sessions. Seen great results with this. The one thing is you need to do also is cardio.

One thing that I did change was what I eat and still think you need to be eating right. Can work out for hours but if your not getting the right things in your body you won't see the results your wanting.
    Unless you're a professional athlete, if you need a trainer to motivate you you're not doing it right IMO. What happens when you come off the course? You will go back to your old ways.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can easily spend 3 hours in the gym. If you've got friends there to train with it's just fun, I mean it's exercise but at the same time you're doing what you want to be doing and having fun.

There's all kinds of stuff to do, tire flipping races, that thing with the stretchy rope around your waist while you try to run and your partner holds you back, you could practice your boxing skills...

It's doable.

Elysia's epic sig skillz

None. I have free weights that I use at home every day. Being able to do many 10-15 minute workouts spread throughout the day has given me superior results compared to an hour or so at the gym.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskar000 View Post
    Ok so I have thought about this a bit lately, how long do you think you should be in the gym for and how many reps etc, ofc it goes off what you're trying to do and how much you can lift/how much time you have spare.

I've heard of people doing like 3-4 hours of gym but they must be body builders, now I have also heard people who just go to the gym to bulk up not necessarily body building to an extreme lvl but still they do like 10 sets of like 12 reps and go to the gym for like 3 hours, I go and lift heavy weights and shit too but it dosnt take me 3 hours in the gym...

like am I the only one who thinks going to the gym that long is stupid? it seems you would have to be taking massive breaks between sets and 10 sets or w/e seems like total bs to me as well.

How much time do you spend in the gym and what do you do in the gym for that amount?
    It will depend on the resting time you are taking between sets

1,5 hours is enough for a daily workout focused on muscle building and hypertrophy, assuming you are going to hit a big muscle group and a small one, for example: chest-biceps, back-triceps, etc. 50 min-1hour for big muscle group and 20-30 minfor small one is that usually will take. If you see someone working out like 3 hours aday they are either:

1) begginers who dont know what they are doing.
    2) competitive BBers who are in roids and hence they can manage training for longer period of time without going into catabolism phase.

10+ Year Old Account
    25 min max 3 times a week with 1 day break between doing a full body workout is working really well for me.

Deleted
    Cardio around 30'ish minutes. I go all out, i like it that way.

Lifting around 1½'ish hours. Sometimes more and sometimes less.

Quote Originally Posted by sargior View Post
    25 min max 3 times a week with 1 day break between doing a full body workout is working really well for me.
    That's what's so great about fullbody workouts. When I started I was doing around 25 mins as well ... but that stopped a few months later when I had to take 5+ minutes for my breaks.

Running this CNS 5/3/1 version I'm in about 4-6 days a week, anywhere between 1-2 hours
    1st May 2013-->1st April 2014
    105lb-->166lb
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift 1RMs - 20kg/20kg/40kg-->100kg/162.5kg/210kg

Running geneswests 5/3/1

I normally spend 2 hours in the gym, 45 minutes of that is cardio and the rest is lifting. One thing people don't realize is how important rest is. A majority of my lifting time is resting. It depends on what you do though. For example if you do 1-3 reps you need a 3 minute rest, 4-8 reps 2 minutes and 9+ 1 minute. This is assuming you lift until you can't lift your weight anymore. The time can vary though. For example if you did 7 or 8 reps and didn't get very tired, but you know you couldn't do more you would take just a minute break.

Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    I normally spend 2 hours in the gym, 45 minutes of that is cardio and the rest is lifting. One thing people don't realize is how important rest is. A majority of my lifting time is resting. It depends on what you do though. For example if you do 1-3 reps you need a 3 minute rest, 4-8 reps 2 minutes and 9+ 1 minute. This is assuming you lift until you can't lift your weight anymore. The time can vary though. For example if you did 7 or 8 reps and didn't get very tired, but you know you couldn't do more you would take just a minute break.
    3 minute rest for 1-3 reps?

10 minute rest after my squats.
    1st May 2013-->1st April 2014
    105lb-->166lb
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift 1RMs - 20kg/20kg/40kg-->100kg/162.5kg/210kg

Running geneswests 5/3/1

Deleted
    This is tricky question because it also depends on what is your aim. For me what i realized, 5 days a week fits me well. Since i do have only 2 "rest" days, i'm going to gym for around an hour (10min cardio included). For each part i do 3 exercises which consists of 4 sets (12 / 10 / 8 / 6 reps), starting from mid to heavy weight.

~1.5 minutes rest between sets
    ~3 minutes rest between different exercises

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't ever been in a gym, think i would get embarrassed about trying to exercise (no upper body strength) or just gawk at any guy with muscles >.<

Depends on your goals, I personally would spend at most 2 hours in the gym and that's only because there are other people with me. If I was by myself 1-1hr30 would be my max time spent. Reps and sets depend on what I'm doing. If I'm doing chest I'll hit 3 sets with 8 reps on flat, incline and decline, same for dumbells, couple of sets of flys and then hit biceps. Just get yourself a program which can be easily obtained by a google search and that should get you start, plus most gyms would be able to write a program for you.
    IMA CHARGIN MY FIREBALL!!!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Haven't ever been in a gym, think i would get embarrassed about trying to exercise (no upper body strength) or just gawk at any guy with muscles >.<
    Trust me i had the same issue, it took me 2 years to finally get my ass to gym and i did quit it for 2 times but at the end, once you get in it, it's worth it.

Try it, in most (at least my local) big gyms people usually don't care about others and they do their own stuff. There is a plenty of material on youtube, i started there as well. It would take some time to get it all, but it ain't hard bro .

Deleted
    Going to the gym atleast 5 times, sometimes 6 but trying to hold two days of rest.

I spend around 2 hours at the gym a day.