Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #81
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Frozen Wasteland
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    I don't believe that word means what you believe it means.
    The creator of the game saying "X will be so" constitutes more evidence, however weak, in favor of "X will be so" than "X will not be so."

    I think the word means exactly what he believes it means.

    I think you are just ... at this point ... looking for attention.

  2. #82
    Only 1-85 content is getting squished so there will still be two power jumps at 90 and 100 respectively. This means cata content in WoD will be no different than WotLK content is today which is easily soloable. Any content prior to that will be even less problematic and AQ mobs will still die to a single whirlwind. People's imaginations are really getting the best of them here, every little thing will be alright.

  3. #83
    I wonder how long it will take people to get it into their heads that the item squish will not affect their ability to be a lone wolf in this game. Probably never. Someone out there is going to be complaining after it happens and they go back to solo something they "always could" like DS.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Annarion View Post
    Because the explicit intention of the squish is to reduce the real difference in power between 1 and 90. Right now you've got more health than some old raid bosses. Your assumption is that the ratio between your health/damage and the old boss' will remain static; this is not the case. If it was a flat nerf, it would, but it's not that simple.

    Imagine if a warrior got 1 point of strength per level. At level 60, you'd have 60 strength, and 90, 90 strength. You'd have 30 more strength than you're supposed to at the level of content, which is enough to overpower the boss. After the squish, you'll be getting 1 point of strength every 2 levels. Now at 60, you have 30 strength, and they nerf the boss' hp to match. But at level 90, you have 45 strength. That's only 15 more strength than was needed when it was current. You are at a disadvantage in real power, because the difference in power between 60 and 90 has been reduced.
    Just to point out, 60-90 strength increase = 150% increase. 30 -45 strength = 150% increase. You would actually be at the exact same value in comparison. Yes the number is smaller but the % value is the same.
    IE - If the amount required to solo said content was 150% of the value at current, 30-45 or 60-90 is exactly the same.
    Raid boss has 6000 health. Old numbers we have 60 dps requiring you to take 100 seconds to kill said boss.
    Squished we come to boss has 3000 health. Now our new squished character is doing 30 dps, still requiring 100 seconds to kill said boss.

    I like your last idea, but I think it would also hurt the game. I cant see them making a scaling buff/debuff for something such as celestials which are already soloable by most/all tanks after like 535 ilvl.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    ...
    So, unless they have some magic switch that squishes ALL mobs, theres the danger of some mob somewhere being left with its current stats.
    ...
    You mean like a for loop? It's not stats you have to worry about, it's mechanics. And they clean those up to make sure mount bosses can be soloed (eg: raptor boss in ZG) or done with a reasonably sized group.

    The easiest thing to do would be to just make it to where pre-WoD instances have a different algorithm for stats-per-ilvl compared to the outside world equal to current numbers...
    I don't think "easiest" means the same thing you think it means. Scaling stats up to pre-squish levels for instances would make it more complicated, and more likely for there to be bugs or exploits. Squish is seriously not a big deal. It's like instead of saying it's 12,927,000 feet from NY to LA, you say it's 3940 km. If you're uncomfortable with numbers that are easier to wrap one's head around, then write an addon that adds a bunch of zeros to the end of every number you see in the game.

  6. #86
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    2,177
    nothing gonna change , its just all stats (your and mobs and bosses) gettin scaled down

  7. #87
    Like I posted in another thread one of the speculations regarding the damage numbers being squished in the near future was that all raids would be LFR and that you either had to be the correct level or could down-level or be auto-down-leveled to the correct level in order to do them as soloing the old ones would be impossible.

    You would still be able to farm mounts, and transmog gear just have to compete with a whole raid as was intended.

  8. #88
    Grunt logar565's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    (sunny) Scotland
    Posts
    13
    op when wod hits turn off combat text and put on hp shown as percentage u wont notice difference only that u get stronger as u lvl and such the normal crap for an expac i will feel crappy to do less damage but like someone said its all relative eh

  9. #89
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    15,555
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSnail View Post
    honestly, its hard to believe anything blizzard says since their last actions.
    Removing the tinfoil hat might help.

    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazu View Post
    Just to point out, 60-90 strength increase = 150% increase. 30 -45 strength = 150% increase. You would actually be at the exact same value in comparison. Yes the number is smaller but the % value is the same.
    IE - If the amount required to solo said content was 150% of the value at current, 30-45 or 60-90 is exactly the same.
    Raid boss has 6000 health. Old numbers we have 60 dps requiring you to take 100 seconds to kill said boss.
    Squished we come to boss has 3000 health. Now our new squished character is doing 30 dps, still requiring 100 seconds to kill said boss.

    I like your last idea, but I think it would also hurt the game. I cant see them making a scaling buff/debuff for something such as celestials which are already soloable by most/all tanks after like 535 ilvl.
    The main problem is, that in the current system your relative strentgh increases exponentially. A lvl 90 high end player is about 300 times stronger than a lvl 60 vanilla high end player. That example is wrong because you have much more strength at max level than 90. After the squish you'll be about early wrath levels, which is a about 5 times increase over a lvl 60.
    Let's do some math:

    Player power Pre-squish (exponential) Increase in % Post-squish (linear) Increase in %
    lvl 60 60 N/A 60 N/A
    lvl 70 180 300 120 200
    lvl 80 750 416 180 150
    lvl 85 3500 466 140 133
    lvl 90 18000 514 300 125

    Conclusion: your relative power against lower level players will drastically decrease.

    What about the mobs? Let's see:

    Player/mob Level Player power Pre-sq Player power Post-sq Current mob power Mob power after squish Required mob power*
    lvl 60 60 60 60 60 0.2
    lvl 70 180 120 180 120 1.2
    lvl 80 750 180 750 180 7.5
    lvl 85 3500 240 3500 240 46.7
    lvl 90 18000 300 18000 300 300
    *Required mob power to retain the same relative power against them

    As you can see, if the mobs get the same squish as players, they will be much stronger against players than now on live. On the other hand, if they want to keep the same relative power, they have to squish the mobs so insanely that even a lvl 10 player could kill everything untill Cata while a lvl 60 could easily solo Ragnaros. This absolutly won't happen.

    Of course they can give you a buff in instances, but that won't solve the problem with outdoor mobs and lower level players..

    Conclusion: player power will drastically decrease against anything lower than level 90 (except raids where you get a buff). It may be true, that at lvl 90 you will kill a lvl 90 mob/boss in the same time as right now, but there are many more non-instanced lower level content...

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    nothing gonna change , its just all stats (your and mobs and bosses) gettin scaled down
    This is wrong, they are smoothing the scaling algorithm as well.

    They claim it won't effect you, but unless they add in a failsafe or whatever it will.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by logar565 View Post
    op when wod hits turn off combat text and put on hp shown as percentage u wont notice difference only that u get stronger as u lvl and such the normal crap for an expac i will feel crappy to do less damage but like someone said its all relative eh
    Again, they are not shrinking everything by a solid %. Level 5s will not be hiring for 2 damage against a wolf with 4 health

  12. #92
    The Lightbringer thunderdragon2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    3,117
    it means what in 6.0 thorim is unsoloable b any1 that isnt an engineer

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    it means what in 6.0 thorim is unsoloable b any1 that isnt an engineer
    Please explain what the engineer has to do with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Yeah, we hate humor and we do not allow it. Last time someone tried to be funny we tracked him down with his IP and broke his leg, then we forced him to race change all his characters to female dwarves. If you think you can be funny on my forums, think twice. (Also I will actually track down and kill anyone using that as a signature)
    Yes, they mean it! Got a broken leg, a female Dwarf and an infraction. Don't mess with humor folks !

  14. #94
    doubt it will because if I read correctly they are applying the squish to everything. If that is in fact true then it will all stay proportionate.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy." -Alexander Tytler

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    doubt it will because if I read correctly they are applying the squish to everything. If that is in fact true then it will all stay proportionate.
    Its not being applied equally. They are not reducing a level 1 to 3 health and 1 mana dealing 1 damage per attack. They are smoothing the rate of scaling, but the squish is being applied to each xpansion differently to create smoother scaling

  16. #96
    Stood in the Fire CasCrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The most formidable fortress in Azeroth, Ironforge.
    Posts
    353
    Blizz said that it will be just as easy solo'ing cata content as solo'ing wrath content is now. Why do people ignore these kinds of statements?

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by AzureBeast View Post
    Blizz said that it will be just as easy solo'ing cata content as solo'ing wrath content is now. Why do people ignore these kinds of statements?
    Because they also explained that they are not just doing a % based squish, and attempt to change the scaling. They have NOT explained how they will handle the discrepancy, only that they plan to.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Seliar View Post
    Conclusion: player power will drastically decrease against anything lower than level 90 (except raids where you get a buff). It may be true, that at lvl 90 you will kill a lvl 90 mob/boss in the same time as right now, but there are many more non-instanced lower level content...
    Listen to this guy.
    They are not reducing all numbers by a flat percent as many seem to think; they are reducing the scaling. They haven't yet told us exactly how they are going to make soloing old raids be the same difficulty as it now.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky303 View Post
    Please explain what the engineer has to do with it
    For people without temporary pets such as Druid's Treants or the C'thun/Yogg tentacle it's extremely hard to push Thorim without him resetting or killing you due to range issues.

  20. #100
    Warchief Blitzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,213
    They said in their interviews that if anything, I'd be easier then it is now, because your character's relative power still goes up at level 100.
    “It is either easy or impossible.” - Salvador Dali

    WoW characters:
    Blitzo[Warrior] -Rex[Hunter] -Jax [Warlock]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •