10+ Year Old Account

Proving Grounds - [You're Doing It Wrong] Achievement

Hey fellow Druids,

Just a quick question here regarding this achievement. I am currently Balance Main Spec with Restoration OS. I have tried this achievement a few times and feel I'm doing it very wrong (or badly) I have tried to:

DPS as Resto - Which didn't seem to work with mana issues.
    TANK as Resto - NPC healer pulls way too much threat
    TANK as Moonkin - Same problem as Resto. I can kill adds easier but when it's a big group the NPC just breathes and pulls aggro.
    HEAL as Moonkin - I got the furthest with this using the treants and also AC to get mana back with some DPS in between but to no avail.

Any tips for this, should I grab a feral/guardian spec? I don't have gear for either but I'd love to hear any tips if you guys would be so kind.

Thank You
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

DPS as Tank spec is easily doable on just about every class.

I found it pretty easy to tank in feral. You can kite anything that hits hard.

DPS was pretty easy as a mistweaver, but it doesn't really work as a druid. If you really want to do it as a druid, the easiest way is probably to get some agility gear. Keep in mind that it gets downscaled, so it doesn't have to be good agility gear.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Deleted
    I completed it as balance doing the healing challenge.
    Wasn't insanely hard but I used astral communion a lot to keep mana up and haste, plus the odd starfall was beneficial.
    I probably used treants as well since it's free dps.

Deleted
    I did the resto one as balance aswell, for me it worked to spam healing touch and rejuv I used astral communion to get free mana and focus on killing the waves instead of healing them.

I'd probably recommend doing the tank one as DPS (I oddly had issues doing the DPS one as a tank, guess the scaling wrecked havoc on my stats), even if it means being moonkin. What I basically did was go bear to get some threat and kite the crap out of the mobs, allowing the NPC to do all the work and healing myself as needed. The best part about the tank challenge is that, although there's a timer, you don't lose if the timer expires... granted the next wave will come out, but it's still some buffer for doing the challenge in the wrong spec. I'd imagine doing the healer one as DPS wouldn't be too terrible, either.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Would not recommend trying the tank one as feral. Bronze is a cake walk (obviously) but Silver is pretty rough, and you'll have a hell of a time if you're not fond of kiting.

I could see it being more doable as balance, but for feral the primary way you heal yourself is by PS procs and you have to facetank the mobs to do so, which is counterproductive. Keeping up with the damage intake in the long-term is a pretty serious issue, perhaps the "right" way to do it involves tons of kiting and liberal use of rejuv.

Seems to me like the easiest route for the achievement is to play balance and then pick your poison.
    Last edited by aggixx; 2014-02-28 at 07:47 AM.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Tank as moonkin should be the easiest, considering that any tank medal (including endless 30) is easily achieved by kiting every mob

Doing the healer one as Balance (disable your mana bar if it gets in the way) should be more than easy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Neetz View Post
    TANK as Resto - NPC healer pulls way too much threat
    Well then heal the NPC healer

I did the achiev in this configuration. It was not easy, but still very doable.

Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    Would not recommend trying the tank one as feral. Bronze is a cake walk (obviously) but Silver is pretty rough, and you'll have a hell of a time if you're not fond of kiting.

I could see it being more doable as balance, but for feral the primary way you heal yourself is by PS procs and you have to facetank the mobs to do so, which is counterproductive. Keeping up with the damage intake in the long-term is a pretty serious issue, perhaps the "right" way to do it involves tons of kiting and liberal use of rejuv.
    I managed to do the tank one as Feral, since you still have FR as Feral. I even went HotW for... I forget which wave, one of the harder ones to kite/tank, in order to get Vengeance gains, armor gains, and crit immunity. One thing I probably should've done is use Glyph of Barkskin for the occasional crit immunity, since getting crit was the worst part of the tank challenge as DPS. Also, liberal use of the fire pools makes all the difference in the world.

It certainly wasn't easy, and I'm not sure moonkin would be easier just for being able to self-heal. If a moonkin could heal the NPC through the threat she will almost certain get (it's hard as Guardian sometimes if she hits them first), then I suppose it's all good.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    It certainly wasn't easy, and I'm not sure moonkin would be easier just for being able to self-heal. If a moonkin could heal the NPC through the threat she will almost certain get (it's hard as Guardian sometimes if she hits them first), then I suppose it's all good.
    Her threat's pitiful, any spec in bear form will easily hold off her (heck, you can mostly hold threat off her as a naked guardian... not that I've tried bronze tank naked or anything...). Actually, it's kind of a problem as resto, sometimes you want her to have threat, but your healing threat pulls off her if you're not careful .

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks to everyone for the tips and info. I will give it another shot trying to heal as a chicken
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

Deleted
    Resto as TANK is the very simple, plant your mushroom in the middle, go into bear an tank all the stuff, skill stun and hotw and blink, so you can kite also if the dmg income is 2 high... the mushroom and your bear selfheal is very strong, with symb on the monk npc you can get a nice cd for the harder groups...

I did healing as moonkin the other day. Only tip I can give is I used HotW on wave 6, that seemed to be where I was falling behind. Once I got caught up it was clear sailing through the last 2 waves. I did use Typhoon, Bash, Fae Silence to minimize incoming cast damage, not sure you'll be able to keep up without some use of these abilities. I was trying to save HotW for the last wave, cuz I read somewhere to do that, but once I switched to wave 6 I got it first try.

Quote Originally Posted by ganush View Post
    I did healing as moonkin the other day. Only tip I can give is I used HotW on wave 6, that seemed to be where I was falling behind. Once I got caught up it was clear sailing through the last 2 waves. I did use Typhoon, Bash, Fae Silence to minimize incoming cast damage, not sure you'll be able to keep up without some use of these abilities. I was trying to save HotW for the last wave, cuz I read somewhere to do that, but once I switched to wave 6 I got it first try.
    Exactly the same thing I did after a ton of wipes trying tank as Resto. Highly recommend doing healer as Balance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Microfish View Post
    Resto as TANK is the very simple, plant your mushroom in the middle, go into bear an tank all the stuff, skill stun and hotw and blink, so you can kite also if the dmg income is 2 high... the mushroom and your bear selfheal is very strong, with symb on the monk npc you can get a nice cd for the harder groups...
    the treants are very good 2, you can use them without leaving your bearform...

Deleted
    I did the healing challenge as balance. Just take FoN, DoC, typhoon and stun. Keep up rejuv on the tank and HT him when he gets low. Blanket rejuv when the group takes damage. Use ancestral guidance before each wave to regain mana. Never get to 3 charges on FoN, and use all 3 when you get to wave 5 (the hardest wave, if i recall correctly).

Use tranquility at the last wave after the second pack of mobs spawn and you should be fine.