Thread: Harp or Flute?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Harp or Flute?

I've played piano for many years (I'm 15 now) and I'm interested in taking up another instrument. The ones I'm interested in are the harp and the flute.

Anyhow, I'm not sure which to pick, and I really don't have many people to ask about this (though those I've asked have mostly recommended the flute). Do any of you have experience with either instrument, and if so, what was it like?

Thanks in advance :)

Those two aren't comparable in any way - they sound completely different, have entirely different roles in an orchestra, are played with entirely different techniques and enable you to do entirely different things musically. So it's a bit of a strange question.

^That said, like the Piano the flute is a very 'main stage' instrument. So if you enjoy the challenge and high pressure of carrying the lead melody the flute probably wouldn't disappoint.

Deleted
    Personally, I'd go for harp, mainly due to it having a breath taking sound if played properly.

But pick whatever you fancy man, you're the one that has to spend hours and hours on mastering it.

Don't play either instrument, but they are indeed quite different and if there is one thing I do know, harps are both considerably more expensive even for a 'beginner' harp and much harder to play well than the flute. That being said, I generally like the sound of stringed instruments of all types best, but again, it's up to you. I guess it all depends on you and which you would rather learn to play at this time. I personally went from playing the trumpet for 10 years to the guitar as the guitar is much more my style of music.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2014-03-02 at 08:07 PM.

Both.

Flute is a lot more portable, but I think Harp makes a more complete sound and with your experience on the piano I imagine you might get more personal enjoyment from it.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

The didgeridoo must be considered.

Someone wrote a love song for the dideridoo.
    http://funnycrave.com/the-didgeridoo-love-song/

It goes like this:

Verse1:

Bwowowowowowowowowoooooooowoooooooowooooooooowoooooooooooooooo

Wwwwwooooooowwwwwoooooooowwwwwwoooooooowowowowowowowowooo

Oooooowwwwoooooowwwwwwoooooowwwwwwwwwwoooowwwwwoooooooooo

Bbbbbbwwwwwooooowooowoooowoooowooooowwoooowoooowoooowooooooooo

Wowowowowowowowowowowowoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwww

Chorus:

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

(girl!)

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Verse 2:

Wowowowowowowowowowowowoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwww

Oooooowwwwoooooowwwwwwoooooowwwwwwwwwwoooowwwwwoooooooooo

Bbbbbbwwwwwooooowooowoooowoooowooooowwoooowoooowoooowooooooooo

Bwowowowowowowowowoooooooowoooooooowooooooooowoooooooooooooooo

Wwwwwooooooowwwwwoooooooowwwwwwoooooooowowowowowowowowooo

Repeat Chorus.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm aware that this is a strange question, but I was wondering if there was a basis for comparison. But thank you everyone for your input!

I enjoy playing classical pieces and peaceful, serene music, if that is at all helpful.

Deleted
    harp all over flute

I've never played a harp or a flute, but I find the sound of the harp to be absolutely charming and mythical.

It's also one of the most intimidating looking instruments to play. I imagine only the most delicate and accurate of fingers can properly pull it off. But since you already play the piano, you have a decent head start.

The flute is much more portable, and being a wind instrument, it's a very different experience to the piano. I think it does have a very pleasant sound though.

I'm sort of a strings and keys fanboi when it comes to classical music, so I'd say go with the harp! The choice is ultimately yours though. Perhaps you could find a music store that carries both and you can try them out in-person.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a drummer who wants to learn about 20 other instruments. I say, learn as many as you can!

Otherwise, it comes down to money. Can you afford a harp? If not, your best bet is probably the flute, as harps are immensely expensive for the cheapest and there aren't many harpist-teachers out there. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

My sister played harp, I think she was around your age. Needless to say, they're more unwieldy, and it's harder to find a teacher. I personally think they're less adaptable too. A lot of harp music sounds the same. Your experience might vary, especially if you play a different type of harp (she did pedal/concert harp).

I would go flute. Unless you've got a fancy mustache that would get in the way. Then again, I hated pizzicato when I played violin & viola, so I'm probably biased.

Deleted
    Am I the only one thinking the title was some kind of innuendo?

Personally I'm a harp man, although I have been known to play some jazz flute if the mood is right.
    Last edited by mmocf6aadac82a; 2014-03-03 at 08:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Harp, because of this:
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

10+ Year Old Account
    Never touched the harp, though having attempted the flute when I was a kid.... if you've never needed lung power for an instrument it might be a challenge, but perhaps a good one if that's what you're looking for.

Me, I didn't have the lung power, at least not at that age, and doubt I'd still have it.. need good lungs for that one. If not sure you'd have it for that, then harp for sure.

I'd go for the flute if I were you. Then go out in the forest on a nice autum day and make brilliant music!

A harp is just a piano with the buttons removed. :P

But yeah; I think if you're going to pick up one, you might as well pick up both. Flutes aren't that hard to play, and they're easy to learn. Sure; if you want to get everything out of a flute, you'll have to practice a lot, but to play a decent flute... Not so much.

Pick the guitar.

15+ Year Old Account
    Between the two, I'd pick flute for sure.

A) you wouldn't need a pickup truck to transport it
    B) flutes can actually do some pretty crazy stuff. I've never heard anything on the harp I considered innovative (not that I've looked).

On that second thought, I saw this crazy jazz group at one of the side stages at the Montreal Jazz Fest a few years back; the frontman was a flautist who did stuff I'd never heard with the instrument, and I can't for the life of me find his or his band's name. Any suggestions? That's a pretty impossible request, but turns out, their website is better than the last time I looked, has all previous years' artists and programs. I'll find it.
    Last edited by Mnevis; 2014-03-04 at 01:31 AM.

Deleted
    For me my favorite musical instrument is Guitar. But on your question i prefer to use flute because it is portable and easy to put even on your pocket.