Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Any advice you'd like to give on a graphics switch-out for a newbie?

Hey this is my current set up:

CPU: AMD FX6300 4.1ghz
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Graphics: RADEON HD7750 2gb DDR3
    HDD: 1TB
    PSU: 650 Watt
    MB: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard

I'm thinking about switching out the graphics card for a GTX 650 Ti 2gb and was wondering if this would be an easy switch for the following:

- Size of the new graphics card, my case is a decently big Vantage case though I've never seen this card in person before so I'm not sure how big it is.
    - FPS gain and overall a better gaming experience. Perhaps to being able to run games smoothly on ultra.
    - Power consumption.
    - Compatibility.

I'm really only looking to make the switch if it's as easy as swapping 7750 out for the GTX. I'm not looking to replace or switch any other parts at this time.

I'm also entirely open to opinions and constructive advice about how worthwhile this would be and if it's going to have the desired effect I'm hoping it will etc. I'm quite new to all this stuff, so I'm really not well clued into what card performs better than what and I'm obviously aware that it's situational/subjective from person to person. Hopefully you'll humour a newbie and help him get the gaming machine he desires.

Currently I only play the likes of WoW, GW2, Skyrim and some other FPS/Adventure games. Curse those Steams sales and their fantastic deals!

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    The 650ti is a decent upgrade from the 7750, however the 7750 is a weak card to start with... So "Decent Upgrade" may not mean a lot. If it were me (what is your budget?) I'd save up like... an extra 50-70 bucks, and make a larger upgrade.

No card will help you run WoW smooth on Ultra in raiding, as that's a CPU thing, and your CPU is just not up to that task.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh? I know MMOs are pretty weird when it comes to FPS stability, especially when there's so much going on in raiding situations. Though I first considered the 650ti mainly after watching some youtube videos of people using a similar set up for demanding games (They were using an FX6300 + GTX 650ti.) they were running games like Tomb Raider and Battlefield 4 on ultra at excellent FPS.

I know people like to hate on AMD for gaming quality but I've also been told people exaggerate that a bit too.

My budget for a new card is around £100-150. The 650ti I was looking at was £112. Link: here.

10+ Year Old Account
    For only a few extra quid I'd go with the 750ti. It's newer, faster, more power efficient and it also fits nicely in your price range.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00I...AC_SX110_SY165

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.79Ghz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte Z87X-OC | Corsair HX1050 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | 4 x 2TB WD Green HDD | 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Black/Orange | Corsair Scimitar Mouse | Logitech G710+ Keyboard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephStylin View Post
    For only a few extra quid I'd go with the 750ti. It's newer, faster, more power efficient and it also fits nicely in your price range.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00I...AC_SX110_SY165
    Oh nice! That's certainly a lovely price indeed. Thanks