Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ...
10
18
19
20
21
LastLast
  1. #381
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It's just for fun, that's it. You shouldn't think that peoples actions in-game are who they are IRL, or that it may show what their personality is like. We're playing a game. Nothing more. Don't be so serious.
    And this is the problem; You have obviously been exposed or involved in so much anti-social behavior that you are desensitized to it. You have lost that basic ability to empathize with the other player because the other player is no longer a human in your eyes but a bunch of pixels on a monitor. Intentionally making other people miserable for your own gratification is never acceptable behavior. The fact that this is a game makes this kind of attitude and behavior LESS acceptable, not MORE acceptable. Would you go around in your daily life intentionally making other people miserable for your own gratification? If the answer is yes then congratulations you're probably a sociopath. If the answer is no then you need to ask yourself why does it suddenly become OK to be a dickhole to someone on the internet when it's not OK to be a dickhole in person.
    Last edited by Porkus; 2014-03-10 at 03:31 PM.

  2. #382
    Brewmaster Lime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Over There
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkus View Post
    And this is the problem; You have obviously been exposed or involved in so much anti-social behavior that you are desensitized to it. You have lost that basic ability to empathize with the other player because the other player is no longer a human in your eyes but a bunch of pixels on a monitor. Intentionally making other people miserable for your own gratification is never acceptable behavior. The fact that this is a game makes this kind of attitude and behavior LESS acceptable, not MORE acceptable. Would you go around in your daily life intentionally making other people miserable for your own gratification? If the answer is yes then congratulations you're probably a sociopath. If the answer is no then you need to ask yourself why does it suddenly become OK to be a dickhole to someone on the internet when it's not OK to be a dickhole in person.
    Can I see your psychology degree please? I mean, you seem to think that you know what you're talking about, so I'm sure you have something to backup this otherwise armchair psychology.

    Big thanks to Yoni for making this Avatar and Signature!

  3. #383
    Obviously I am not making a professional diagnosis, however you don't need to be a professional to spot textbook sociopathic behavior.

  4. #384
    Brewmaster Zaxio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sofia/Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,441
    The only fun in WPVP i have in Vanilla.It was massive 24/7 ppl from your faction comes to help ya when you ask in channels which lead to bigger fighting eachothers groups
    Now is just bored you will encounter a group of ppl who will smash you down and chance to get help from your faction ppl is close to zero no mater what balance realm have

  5. #385
    Elemental Lord Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A Hunter never gives away their location
    Posts
    8,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkus View Post
    Obviously I am not making a professional diagnosis, however you don't need to be a professional to spot textbook sociopathic behavior.
    You're talking about someone's mental state because of an action they made on a PC game. They didn't talk to you. You didn't talk to them. You were around each other (in-game) for a brief amount of time. How in the hell do you think you can say someone is a sociopath based on that?

    You can't.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Porkus View Post
    And this is the problem; You have obviously been exposed or involved in so much anti-social behavior that you are desensitized to it. You have lost that basic ability to empathize with the other player because the other player is no longer a human in your eyes but a bunch of pixels on a monitor. Intentionally making other people miserable for your own gratification is never acceptable behavior. The fact that this is a game makes this kind of attitude and behavior LESS acceptable, not MORE acceptable. Would you go around in your daily life intentionally making other people miserable for your own gratification? If the answer is yes then congratulations you're probably a sociopath. If the answer is no then you need to ask yourself why does it suddenly become OK to be a dickhole to someone on the internet when it's not OK to be a dickhole in person.
    Again, it's a GAME. Someone's actions (not verbal) in a game in no way reflects who they are as a person IRL.
    Last edited by Winter Blossom; 2014-03-10 at 09:31 PM.

  6. #386
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkus View Post
    If the answer is no then you need to ask yourself why does it suddenly become OK to be a dickhole to someone on the internet when it's not OK to be a dickhole in person.
    Uh, that's pretty obvious. It's called 'lack of consequences'. As it's not happening in the real world where everyone can see your behavior, most especially the one on the recieving end, and people will never know that KillaDeffGawd187 is really Paul Grady, mild-mannered office drone, then you get away with it. And IMO nothing of any real import was lost or harmed. Long as Paul Grady never gets it in his head to start imitating this behavior in his RL, all is fine and good.

    Never, ever forget the GIFT.


  7. #387
    Again, it's a GAME. Someone's actions (not verbal) in a game in no way reflects who they are as a person IRL.
    It reflects that you are someone who has extremely "flexible" morals, a person who only avoids doing wrong as long as doing wrong has immediate consequences. As soon as there are no immediate consequences to your actions you're acting in a way that would be utterly unacceptable in daily life and I think that speaks volumes about the kind of person you are. The fact that you think it's MORE justifiable to act in an antisocial manner in a activity designed for fun and leisure also speaks volumes about the kind of person you are.

    Uh, that's pretty obvious. It's called 'lack of consequences'. As it's not happening in the real world where everyone can see your behavior, most especially the one on the recieving end, and people will never know that KillaDeffGawd187 is really Paul Grady, mild-mannered office drone, then you get away with it.
    I know it's pretty obvious, I just wanted to see if I could get them to admit this themselves.

    And IMO nothing of any real import was lost or harmed. Long as Paul Grady never gets it in his head to start imitating this behavior in his RL, all is fine and good.
    I would have to disagree with this. Again it follows the rather unsavory line of thinking that being antisocial is acceptable as long as there are no direct consequences, by which I mean consequences that affect YOU. It's a very selfish line of thinking and it's quite depressing that it seems to have become the modus operandi of a lot of people who play online games today.

  8. #388
    Elemental Lord Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A Hunter never gives away their location
    Posts
    8,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkus View Post
    It reflects that you are someone who has extremely "flexible" morals, a person who only avoids doing wrong as long as doing wrong has immediate consequences. As soon as there are no immediate consequences to your actions you're acting in a way that would be utterly unacceptable in daily life and I think that speaks volumes about the kind of person you are. The fact that you think it's MORE justifiable to act in an antisocial manner in a activity designed for fun and leisure also speaks volumes about the kind of person you are.
    I gank, camp, and go into groups on TI killing people for my coins. I'm not what you described above, so your point has been proven wrong.

    Again, it's an online GAME.....stop with the psycho babble bullshit

  9. #389
    It's a game in which you can find pleasure in the suffering of others, that you yourself are causing, without real world consequences

    Breaking news..shocking revelation.. People hiding out in video games fulfill their fantasies of being a criminal and getting away with it!

    Ban video games

  10. #390
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Californa
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Why, just why? Don't roll on pvp if you can't take being ganked.

    When my lvl50 gets ganked 3 times in the row by the same guy 90 in 5minutes I get mildly upset and start to think that said ganker has a small penis. Still it doesn't mean that the system is broken.
    All of this

  11. #391
    Elemental Lord Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A Hunter never gives away their location
    Posts
    8,308
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    It's a game in which you can find pleasure in the suffering of others, that you yourself are causing, without real world consequences

    Breaking news..shocking revelation.. People hiding out in video games fulfill their fantasies of being a criminal and getting away with it!

    Ban video games
    This could explain my sudden urge to want to buy a plane ticket to china to kill off the rest of the pandas...

  12. #392
    I gank, camp, and go into groups on TI killing people for my coins. I'm not what you described above, so your point has been proven wrong.
    You have proven nothing other than how deep you are willing to bury your head in the sand while repeating the mantra "it's just a game".

    I sit down to play a game of Monopoly with a group of people. Half way into the game I start flicking other player's pieces off the board, because it's "fun". They ask me to stop, I tell them to stop complaining because it's "Just a game". They tell me I'm being antisocial, I tell them that I'm having fun and no one is forcing them to play with me. They call me an arsehole but I tell them the way I act while playing Monopoly doesn't reflect how I act in the rest of my daily life. They all stand up and walk away and I congratulate myself on another successful game of Monopoly.

    Is this something you would do? After all Monopoly is just a game. If not, is it because you feel it's fundamentally wrong to act that way, or is it because you simply wouldn't want to face the direct consequences of your actions?

  13. #393
    Elemental Lord Baar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    8,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkus View Post
    Snip

    Give me a game like GTAV and I will go on a rampage and kill everything in sight.


    IRL I say please and thank you, and hold doors for people.



    Don't try to diagnose people from an online game. It doesn't work.

  14. #394
    Elemental Lord Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A Hunter never gives away their location
    Posts
    8,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkus View Post
    You have proven nothing other than how deep you are willing to bury your head in the sand while repeating the mantra "it's just a game".

    I sit down to play a game of Monopoly with a group of people. Half way into the game I start flicking other player's pieces off the board, because it's "fun". They ask me to stop, I tell them to stop complaining because it's "Just a game". They tell me I'm being antisocial, I tell them that I'm having fun and no one is forcing them to play with me. They call me an arsehole but I tell them the way I act while playing Monopoly doesn't reflect how I act in the rest of my daily life. They all stand up and walk away and I congratulate myself on another successful game of Monopoly.

    Is this something you would do? After all Monopoly is just a game. If not, is it because you feel it's fundamentally wrong to act that way, or is it because you simply wouldn't want to face the direct consequences of your actions?
    In the game of monopoly, your goal is to fuck over your friends so you can control the board and get their money. Do you act this way IRL? Cause if you're willing to fuck them over in a game, then you're willing to fuck them over IRL...

    See how fucking stupid that sounds?

    Edit: Also, pvp is part of the game in WoW. It is focused around it. Flicking people's pieces off the board in Monopoly is not part of the game. If it were, then we could maybe use your scenario (however stupid it is).
    Last edited by Winter Blossom; 2014-03-11 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Added more to the comment

  15. #395
    Porkus if how we act inside fantasy worlds is an extension of our true selves.. why haven't the majority of us that can tell the difference between fantasy and reality done any of this shit IRL?

  16. #396
    Porkus if how we act inside fantasy worlds is an extension of our true selves.. why haven't the majority of us that can tell the difference between fantasy and reality done any of this shit IRL?
    That's the question I'm asking. What is stopping people from being antisocial in "real life"? Is it because they have a belief that acting that way is fundamentally wrong and unacceptable, or is it because there are more immediate consequences for doing so? If the answer is that only consequences prevent their actions then that's quite disturbing. If they know that acting a certain way is fundamentally wrong, then why do they still do it online? It seems Winter Blossom doesn't want to answer this question, possibly because s/he does not like the answer?

    Also while WoW may be a "fantasy" world it is inhabited by "real" people.

    In the game of monopoly, your goal is to fuck over your friends so you can control the board and get their money.
    So is that how you view Monopoly? Do you often view "competitive" games as opportunities to "fuck over" the other player? The game can certainly be played in an extremely aggressive cut-throat manner if you chose to, and technically there is nothing in the rules which says you can't flick other player's pieces off the board. Just as world PVP gives you the opportunity to grief players that are half your level and camp graveyards; it does not necessarily mean these things are the GOAL of world PVP.

  17. #397
    Porkus the answer is and will always be that this hobby is used as an escape from "reality"

    We know right from wrong in our real lives, but when you're using something as a means of escape, the same rules don't apply? IDK if you're going to get the answer you're looking for on here

  18. #398
    Pit Lord velde046's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,415
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrantWave View Post
    Alright, wanna paypal me $250 to move everyone over then?
    This is charging it somewhat, but I do agree with the sentiment. Trouble is that as a new player you do not know exactly what you're getting into and what PVP really entails in WoW. But if you leveled quite considerable or PVP changed so much compared to what it was, it sucks that you have to pay quite a considerable amount of money to get it fixed. Definitely something you learn the hard way.

  19. #399
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    490
    So wait, playing the game the way it was designed makes me a social path a puts my real life morals into question? Last I checked, I was told in game that the oposing faction was the enemy, and that I'm supposed to kill them. Last I checked, the game itself told me that killing people on TI was part of the lore (becoming a fireguy champion).

    So people playing the game the way it was designed makes them bad people irl?

    LOL


    Guess what guys (even you PvE guys)? The game tells you that you're at war with each other, hence, you're only playing correctly if you're ganking and camping each other. To quote Garrosh.....SPLILL THEIR BLOOD
    Last edited by woodydave44; 2014-03-11 at 03:21 PM.

  20. #400
    The game tells you that you're at war with each other, hence, you're only playing correctly if you're ganking and camping each other.
    Does the game tell you to gank and corpse camp or is that just how you have personally decided to interpret open world PVP? I don't recall the game ever encouraging me to fly to low level areas and harass level 10s with my level 90 for example. I think there is a pretty significant difference between the game encouraging me to do something, and the game not discouraging me from doing something. You are of the opinion that ganking, corpse camping etc. is how world PVP is meant to be played, do you think the developers would agree with you on that? Do you think they'd agree that griefing players is the objective of world PVP or do you think they'd say that it's an unfortunate byproduct of an imperfect system?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •