Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Blizzard's leveling paradox

I dont think there's anyone on this forum that doesnt know that WoW is focused heavily on end game. What make me wonder though is why blizzard bothers to keep adding levels and quests every expansion if the game is about max level raiding anyway.

Just think about it. less quests and levels = more relevant end-game content. Why bother making a quest line in Shadowmoon Valley if they could instead make an extra raid encounter or two. Right guys?!

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair at this point, I wouldn't care if they just removed levels entirely. I still want quests though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    I dont think there's anyone on this forum that doesnt know that WoW is focused heavily on end game. What make me wonder though is why blizzard bothers to keep adding levels and quests every expansion if the game is about max level raiding anyway.

Just think about it. less quests and levels = more relevant end-game content. Why bother making a quest line in Shadowmoon Valley if they could instead make an extra raid encounter or two. Right guys?!
    quests added in an expansion are end game content.

plus, even though gameplay is more important to them they still really love lore and continents full of quests give them a chance to dish out huge swaths of lore at a time.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Because a lot of people enjoy quests, growing in power through leveling and loathe raiding. That would explain it I guess. I'm all for a game without levels but it won't be this one. There's more lore in the questing system than anywhere else in the game.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be

Me thinks (hope) I smell a troll...

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    It's not a paradox. It's important to create depth in many aspects otherwise the game feels shallow.

10+ Year Old Account
    It serves as a timesink and a story development tool aswel as fun for the art/designer team to create and build maps for everyone to enjoy and explore every nook and cranny for whatever hidden treasure they put in.

WoW is focussed on end-game yes but that doesn't mean there arnt plenty of people that enjoy the leveling process aswel. I personally enjoy both ;p

Progression is a necessity to games.

Quote Originally Posted by Frakchaw View Post
    WoW is focussed on end-game yes but that doesn't mean there arnt plenty of people that enjoy the leveling process aswel. I personally enjoy both ;p
    ^ This exactly. I raid 3 nights a week and am happy with that schedule but I do enjoy having other things to do when I log on as well. I like going through a new zone and playing through new quests and new storyline and it's even better when there's enough out there that I find more new things the next time I play through it on an alt. Lack of an enjoyable leveling experience is what has turned me off many of the MMORPG's I've tried since WoW has been out. While I certainly don't want another Cata where the end game was severely lacking due to their focus on revamping the leveling experience, I would not enjoy an expansion that did not add more leveling as well.

A better way to describe it is that they're focused on current content. Leveling zones in the current expansion are important because they establish the back story, the characters, and the events leading up to what's going to be happening in the world that expansion. It's an extremely important narrative tool, but it's also content for a lot of people that enjoy leveling, even if they don't like doing it over and over again.

The reason they nerf old content and continually add ways to get though it faster is that it's just that - old. People that have been around for a while have been there and done that, and new people don't need to get the full story because they're not going to be going on to complete the storylines that they touch on while leveling (at least not immediately) - whereas once you get to the current expansion, you'll start seeing things that will be relevant to you at the end game.

I love leveling and I love raiding, and one of my favourite things in WoW is when a new expansion is released and all are leveling side by side.

Deleted
    I really enjoy leveling, I like having a goal and getting excited when I'm close to achieving it, I guess raiding gives this too but it just wouldn't be right without leveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this is going to sound very ignorant but I absolutely hate leveling. I would remove leveling entirely for myself if I could. The first time going through was pretty cool and interesting. Second time going through I did zones I didn't do before. Third time and onward was when I started to seriously hate leveling. I couldn't really care about the lore or anything anymore. Just let me do raids/battlegrounds/arena.

10+ Year Old Account
    Helps you learn your class,dungeons / PvP / quests,if you got a instant level 90 right now you woldnt be able to learn any thing about that class imagine going in a dungeon or a battleground and getting stomped by any one you face,each time you get a level you get a new talent a skill you get to use it and see how it helps you PvP-PvE wise...

MMO's that focus too much on either the journey to get to the end, or the end in general tend to fail.

For instance, most of the people on here are veterans to the game. We've been there, done that. To a new player though, if the leveling experience isn't enjoyable then the player will never bother to get the end game, regardless on how many people will state it's amazing. For instance, the first time I played an MMO which was Star Wars Galaxies, I wanted to explore everything, even if it was pointless. Like when I first started WoW back in Vanilla I spent way too much time fishing, because I thought it was fun at lv 10.

Obviously if you focus on just the journey of getting to the end you'll end up in situations like Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, or even Star Wars the Old Republic. To be fair though I don't think they were prepared at the speed people would level their characters, since WoW broke the ice when it came to MMOs being more mainstream and leveling became almost second nature to anyone who's played an MMO.

My thoughts on less quests, etc just is a no go for me. I enjoy leveling characters for the most part, and honestly I enjoyed the old world redux of quests they did in Cata more then I did the actual quests for the new Cata zones. Even MoP, I actually legit enjoyed leveling up with the quests, obviously it lost its touch doing it for the 4th time, but I enjoyed that the quests felt like they progressed, and happy Blizzard has changed it to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    To tell the current story.

there woulden't be any fun in an expansion where you just jump straight into raiding without getting familier with the new world and stuff

atleast not for me

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
    I really enjoy leveling, I like having a goal and getting excited when I'm close to achieving it, I guess raiding gives this too but it just wouldn't be right without leveling.
    I guess those two-three days make out the whole expansion, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    there woulden't be any fun in an expansion where you just jump straight into raiding without getting familier with the new world and stuff

atleast not for me
    Why does this has to be experiencecd with leveling? If you don't have a will to do quests on your own, instead of being forced due to the reason that you actually have to do them to get max level, what good is it? I mean the quests are there, they're just not mandatory. Unless.. you like quests, which if it is the case you'll end up doing them anyway.
    But hey, if you feel the need and many others feel it that you have to be forced to do the quests to learn the lore and so you that way get a "good" feeling from the 2-3 days you level up in the start of a expansion (yupp, they do really make out 1-2 years of expansion), then hey! Who am I to judge

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    plus, even though gameplay is more important to them they still really love lore and continents full of quests give them a chance to dish out huge swaths of lore at a time.
    Its not about what they love, but what brings them money. Its not quests for sure.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because there needs to be more to the game then raiding. A better question is why dont they skip the new 5 lvs to gain phase and jump right to the raiding 4 an Xpac is another question.