Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    Hmmm. Maybe i just came off the boat, but the phrase "Just came off the boat" means you are new and this is your first rodeo. But i guess if i said "So i take it this is your first rodeo" to someone that would be taken as racist too.
    But you know and I know that when it comes to accusations of racism, intention of the alleged racist doesn't matter a smidgen.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    But you know and I know that when it comes to accusations of racism, intention of the alleged racist doesn't matter a smidgen.
    I can assure you, coming from the city where this incident actually happened in; "Off the boat" or more commonly "Fresh off the boat" is common vernacular for speaking disparagingly of immigrants of the non-western-European, and/or non english fluent variety.

So when the store employee asked "Did you just come off the boat?" He was essentially meaning to say, in our common regional vernacular "Do you not speak English, you non-western-European immigrant that I don't like?"

And non-western-European immigrant is my own euphemism for "brown guy"

They tell you when you start working in Canada at any store, customer services, government agency of any kind that you have to be 100% respectful to customers and clients, WHAT EVER THE CASE. If someone yelling at you, you cant yell back. If someone insults you, you dont insult them back. You call the recourse you are supposed to, the manager in sears case. When i worked in security in Canada, someone yelling too much and wont listen to simple directive asked 3 times, you just call the cops period. The law is mostly on consumers side on most of these issues really and its to protect people from making mistakes they dont have to. Both the customers and the employee.

The worse case i had when i was on a shift of security for a store is an employee that saw someone shop lifting and putting something into her pocket. He was smart enough to contact us and no try to do it himself. We checked the camera and tracked it, but since there was a good amount of time where no one kept track of it, our policy is to let the shop lifter go unless he/she triggers the alarm. Many items dont trigger the alarms. Now you are gona ask why would we do that, the employee saw her steal. The problem is that unless you are 100% sure someone is stealing, if you stop them and somehow they dropped the item before they passed the door and you did not see it, you just took part in an illegal citizen arrest, the store will have to settle it in court if the person press charges.

So why did i just explain this, BECAUSE its the same thing for any type of altercation with consumers. If you go into an argument and it goes into harrasment, verbal violence, disrespect, racism or anything, even if the customer started, the store is at fault and it will have to be settle in court if the person wants to press charges. And im just gona say it now, these laws are taken freaking seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I can assure you, coming from the city where this incident actually happened in; "Off the boat" or more commonly "Fresh off the boat" is common vernacular for speaking disparagingly of immigrants of the non-western-European, and/or non english fluent variety.

So when the store employee asked "Did you just come off the boat?" He was essentially meaning to say, in our common regional vernacular "Do you not speak English, you non-western-European immigrant that I don't like?"

And non-western-European immigrant is my own euphemism for "brown guy"
    "being fresh off the boat" still doesn't have much to do with race.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    The pathetic part is that people think its ok to treat employees like utter crap just because they shouldn't be able to treat them like crap back. Nobody ever tried to justify the employees poor treatment of the customer, but to think that the customer should be able to treat an employee however they please is what is garbage here. Utter hypocrisy.
    It's a service industry... you serve and try to please customers, not belittle them in a store, it gives the store a bad image.

What's even worse is when you're also racist.

I have stopped shopping at certain places with horrible staff before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Oh quite the contrary. I have 6 years of cashier experience, and currently am the assistant manager. My coworker works at a 7-11 as well. He is from somewhere in Africa, and he is on the receiving end of extreme racism and belligerent customers all the time. He's extremely nice though, he says "Fuck you" with a smile and a laugh. I love him. He handles himself with grace, while not putting up with people's bullshit. Not once has 7-11 fired him or even warned him for his attitude.
    Fuck you isn't the same as escalating to racism.

A simple insult doesn't point to your own character flaws. Resorting to racism does.
    Last edited by Themius; 2014-03-05 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Not really. It means someone's angry and emotional and reaching for whatever they think is going to sting. A lot of those things are slurs - they're slurs specifically because they do sting. There's racial slurs, there's fat people getting called variations of "fat fuck", there's small or skinny or effeminate guys getting called "faggot", and so on. Yeah, it's a racist action (in this case), but one action does not define the entirety of a person.
    That doesn't matter. Why shouldn't an action be judged independently of the person's character? Because someone was casting about for ways to get under someone's skin and nothing other than racial slurs presented itself to them?

"But you can technically behave like a racist without actually being a racist" doesn't come off to me as a swaying argument. You know the connotations associated with racist behavior. You know that's how you're going to be judged, but you go ahead and make a racist jab anyway. You are fully accountable for whatever vitriol which, quite rightly, comes spewing your way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who works retail it's so frustrating to see kids playing with things they should not be playing with. At least in this case the father was watching the kid (most times kids just run through the store while parents shop unaware of whats going on), but seriously do not be putting your kid on a lawnmower. If that kid hurt himself while doing that the store would be responsible.

Now the racist remark is just dumb, no matter the context or what brought it up. He might of well just said I quit and walked out. The guy deserved to be fired and is stupid for the comment he made.

The customer had every right to be angry and upset, asking to speak to a manager & wanting said employee fired, but the way he conducted himself was embarrassing. He pretty much brought himself down to the employee's level with some of his own comments...we learned in elementary school that 2 wrongs don't make a right. There was a right way to react to that situation and a completely wrong way, customer took the wrong way.

Being fresh off the boat would imply the person came from overseas, and new. It is not racist, unless you think all the people overseas are considered one race.

Then again, it is Canada, you guys might have different historical events than the U.S.. Is there any events in Canadian history that would make this exchange racist?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    That doesn't matter. Why shouldn't an action be judged independently of the person's character? Because someone was casting about for ways to get under someone's skin and nothing other than racial slurs presented itself to them?

"But you can technically behave like a racist without actually being a racist" doesn't come off to me as a swaying argument. You know the connotations associated with racist behavior. You know that's how you're going to be judged, but you go ahead and make a racist jab anyway. You are fully accountable for whatever vitriol which, quite rightly, comes spewing your way.
    Well, people do not think clearly when emotions are involved. A single action would not make someone racist. It would have to have long line of actions to do so. Being Human means making accidental mistakes like that. Unless, you think a person should kill his humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Well, people do not think clearly when emotions are involved. A single action would not make someone racist. It would have to have long line of actions to do so. Being Human means making accidental mistakes like that. Unless, you think a person should kill his humanity.
    "I called him a fucking nigger. But not because I'm a racist, I swear. I only wanted to piss him off, and boy did I pull off an over-kill on that one. But please don't brand and treat me like a racist despite the fact that I quite plainly engaged in racist action. People shouldn't be frowned upon and condemned for racist actions until it's proven they're racists at heart too. Until then, they should get a free pass for it. What do you want me to do, throw away my humanity?"

That's what you're saying. Emotions aren't a valid reason to be a cunt. If I assaulted someone in a fit of rage, that would be treated like a crime. "I'm really not a bad person, just look in my heart!" isn't a valid defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I'm shocked someone knows what the Dominican Republic is. OT: Rascist.

But dude, you know about Dominicans!? I've gotten a lot of, 'what's that?' and 'where is that?' responses whenever I told people I'm Dominican.
    It is the half of Hispaniola that hasn't deforested and wiped out all of its resources like a bad Dr Seuss book. For kicks look at a satellite photo of the border with Haiti and see what pops out.

As everybody else has said parents failing to control their children in public are failing as parents. That still doesn't give an employee anywhere the green light to act like an idiot too.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    Sorry I meant where the f**k is DOMO?
    Don't bring DOMO into this !

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing asian * Indian / Paki * are always BADTEMPER over the smallest thing

Apparently the domo comment was implying the Sears employee worked at a gas station previous to this job. Least that's what one news site explained it as.

The Asian guy is a real soft fucker for how he cried about the boat comment. I love shit like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    Discriminating against people for their racist views is just as bad as someone with racist views.
    this is straight up one of the stupidest, most ignorant, narrow minded things I've ever seen written.

I have no idea what "Let me guess you came from domo?" means, but on the video, that's the first thing I hear, and it's from the customer. Apparently, the store employee took offense to it for whatever reason.

From where I'm sitting, that customer is an asshole and is actually the one who started it (although this was already going on when the video started, so there might be more to it). But the employee lost his temper and fired back, and that's the problem. He should've been more professional about it and let a manager/higher up take over at that point.

So I think they're both in the wrong, but the customer is not exactly the "oh poor innocent me" victim he wants to you believe he is. I say both the employee should be fired, and the customer should be banned from the store.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-03-11 at 05:06 PM.