Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Help me get better and tell me what I do wrong (Resto shaman)

Tell me how to get better
    (resto shaman healing 10 HC)

This is World of Logs from our guild: worldoflogs.....com/guilds/223715/
    (The logs from this reset is probably most relevant)

This is my armory profile: eu.battle.....net/wow/en/character/silvermoon/Annoyer/simple

I am not sure what haste breakpoint to go for. Right now I am going for a 9k haste break point that gives me a extra tick on my healing totems. Also I read it's best to go for 50% mastery (5400 mastery rating). After that I am going for tons of crit.

The resto druid in the guild is healing more than me on almost every fight even though I now got a few ilvls on him.
    Maybe there is something wrong with my "rotation" ?
    I almost only use UE for HR, is that stupid?

I would like to be able to beat the resto druid on the meters as I know him IRL

Just say if you need any more infooo.

I can't check much about logs(which I don't know how to tell much about anyway honestly), but for the Armory best I can say is, which you might know already, invest in getting the trinket from Sha of Pride, and the one from Thok if you can, Sha of Pride one being BiS I believe for almost every healing, and the Thok one just works better than Nazgrims for shamans in my opinion.
    Also maybe try PE for the level 90 talents, since both totems give you and 10% healing boost when you're empowered with them for 1 minute. Also I believe the totem in the first tier of talents (Forget the name at the moment, earth totem with an absorb shield) also counts towards healing, honestly it's not much, but it is a slight thing lol.

Otherwise I would say it really depends on fights though, if it's steady damage, druids will probably win anyway because their HoTs will tick before you can probably cast much, since they have more instant heals/HoTs. This is just my opinion though, as I usually two heal with a druid. Fights like Thok I can pull more, but others he's usually ahead of me.
    Also usually UE is only used for HR I believe, unless there's really no stacking at all, but I usually drop it on melee anyway at that point, because it will hit the tanks and melee, depending on the boss of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyer View Post
    I am not sure what haste breakpoint to go for. Right now I am going for a 9k haste break point that gives me a extra tick on my healing totems.
    check to make sure you're getting that extra tick (don't just trust that 9000 is enough)

Also I read it's best to go for 50% mastery (5400 mastery rating). After that I am going for tons of crit.
    that's a myth, there is nothing magical about 50%. most shaman prefer crit > mastery.

The resto druid in the guild is healing more than me on almost every fight even though I now got a few ilvls on him.
    even norushen O.o
    druids are in a good place this tier. tough to beat straight up on numbers unless the raid frequently drops low in health (which is inviting someone to get 1-shot). remember your cooldowns, use them often if you want to try to win a numbers war (i assume this is for fun on farm bosses).

I almost only use UE for HR, is that stupid?
    that is the only thing it's good for.

P.S. you really need a sha trinket to replace nazgrim's.

Deleted
    Druids beat shamans in 10man usually, not in Norushen or Thok.

I tend to use Conductivity for longer healing rains and spam dat Chain Heal on riptided characters, best to use it on tank that has your ES. Works pretty nice.

Trinketswise id say Thok+Sha is allround best, altho the thok one is not so OP in 10man that it is in 25man.

Also go full crit after the 9k-9,5k haste, every spirit/mastery etc you can reforge. You shouldnt oom if you keep mana tide on cooldown + utilize Chain Heal properly.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalmansikka View Post
    Druids beat shamans in 10man usually, not in Norushen or Thok.

I tend to use Conductivity for longer healing rains and spam dat Chain Heal on riptided characters, best to use it on tank that has your ES. Works pretty nice.

Trinketswise id say Thok+Sha is allround best, altho the thok one is not so OP in 10man that it is in 25man.

Also go full crit after the 9k-9,5k haste, every spirit/mastery etc you can reforge. You shouldnt oom if you keep mana tide on cooldown + utilize Chain Heal properly.
    can you explain using CH properly? cause I just spam the shit out of it lol

Quote Originally Posted by nsgid View Post
    Make sure you're bouncing it off of somebody with Riptide so you get the 25% increased healing to that Chain Heal, and you're getting at least 3 bounces out of it. 2 bounces is ok depending on the situation but you're usually better off casting something else if you aren't going to get at least 3.

Stood in the Fire Steve the Sloth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mix up your heals a bit more as well if possible. Resurgence from critical heals returns more mana on lesser/greater healing wave than it does with CH (iirc). Chain heal spamming can potentially get you way too much overhealing if there isn't consistent raid damage going out. Also just make sure that you're using HST on cooldown, UE with every HR, rotate through elementals if you're using 'Primal' talent for 10% bonus healing, use Ascendence when HTT/Spirit Link are on CD, and that's about all I can think of for now. Be familiar with every fight so you know when to pop CD's to have them off cooldown before the fight endsto get maximum usage out of all of them.

I 100% always drop HR and HST right on pull because they'll snipe heal and give a head start on meters most of the time. It's much easier than playing catch up most of the time and only healing reactively.

Edit: always have Riptide rolling on both tanks. Nice healing and maintains Ancestral Vigor for HP bonus.
    Last edited by Steve the Sloth; 2014-03-04 at 08:48 AM.

Deleted
    First I want to thank you guys for the fast answers.

that's a myth, there is nothing magical about 50%. most shaman prefer crit > mastery.
    Also go full crit after the 9k-9,5k haste, every spirit/mastery etc you can reforge.
    So that means I should go for gear without mastery and reforge away from it where I can?
    And how low do you think I can go in spirit? It sound like you want me to reforge it all away

Edit: I have no idea how to quote properly

So that means I should go for gear without mastery and reforge away from it where I can?
    And how low do you think I can go in spirit? It sound like you want me to reforge it all away

Edit: I have no idea how to quote properly
    Gear without Mastery would be ideal if you're planning to stack Crit, however it will be hard to itemize every piece of gear that way since there is Mastery all over the place this tier. Which will lead to your next question. You are going to be getting a lot of gear with Spirit/Mastery on it and at this point you will have to determine what is more valuable to you. Spirit only has value as long as the regen provided by it gets turned into actual through put. Because of this in an ideal world you will be able to use all of your Mana over the course of the fight, ending the fight as close to 0 mana as possible. Any mana left over is just wasted resources and itemization you could be putting into through put. Mastery does effect every single one of your heals, not just when players are at low health. Because of this it does have value at all health levels, the problem is at higher health Crit and Haste tend to perform better.

If you are ending the majority of fights with a lot of mana left over then you will want to start shaving down your Spirit until you reach that perfect point where you are almost oom at the end of the fight, but don't have to throttle your casting during the fight because of mana. However at higher gear levels you simply can't reforge out of enough Spirit to reach that thresh hold. At that point yes, you should be reforging out of Spirit on every piece of gear since the regen it is providing isn't getting turned into through put and Mastery will become the stronger stat in comparison.

Once you've reached either your comfort level for Spirit or you can't reforge enough of it away a simple stat priority for a Crit build should look something like this: Int - Haste (to breakpoint) - Crit - Mastery - Spirit - Haste (beyond break point).
    Last edited by Duglawaha; 2014-03-04 at 07:32 PM.

yeah, pretty much. with all of the spirit gear and even mastery gear, you will still end up with enough of both.

my strategy is to reforge out of mastery first, and spirit if there's no mastery on the piece, and i gem crit. i still end up with 55% mastery and almost 15k spirit (which is way more than i need). looks like you have 12.5k spirit, which should be plenty.

i notice you also have glyph of riptide. i don't like that glyph for most fights; it's a HPM and HPS loss and takes away your only real instant heal. i used it on heroic malk and sometimes on thok (haven't done heroic yet), but that's about it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    should I use the riptide glyoh for 10mans?

From my experience, no. I only ever use it on Thok, and that's just because you can spam riptide on everyone when you can't hard cast much, and then you can pop ascendance for silly amounts of healing.

Using glyph of riptide varies on the damage patterns of the fight and who is your co-healer.

I use it on 2 fights, Thok and Malkorak.

My co-healer on Malk is disc. So we put melee/tanks in 1 group and let his PoH handle most of their shields. If he were a druid, I'd likely not use the glyph.

Deleted
    I know that is little bit OT but mind that healing is not racing in meters (for example you can't compete on tank healing with druid due to hots mechanic). If people aren't dying randomly due to lack of healing it's alright to be lower in meters.

Deleted
    I use Riptide glyph 100% of the time be it 25 or 10man. Its great everywhere and on our recent Garrosh hc kill it was superb to have it rolling on everyone during whirls. Also its pretty much our only instant heal so thats how i heal while i gotta move, Riptides for everyone!

Im not saying its wrong not to use it, its a glyph which should just bring personal/situational choices.

First of all you should know what is important about healing. Making progress is important, your healing numbers are not important. Simply talk with your fellow healers and ask them if they feel they have to work hard.
    If, in this case, the druid is a number lover he will probably be spamming his stuff as much as possible and there will be no way you will beat him. If he is not, than you could ask him to tone it down a little and you can find out if your healing numbers will go up. Ofcourse you still have to make progress, so don't let people die.

Looking at your logs this week, I don't see anything you're doing wrong. You one shoted the six first bosses, and out of them you "won" the druid on two, and "lost" on four, but by a small margin. It's OK to have lower healing numbers, those who do more healing aren't necessarily the better healers.

Still, if your goal is to win him, here are some things you can try to beat him on farm bosses for fun (but don't do it on progress )

1. As others said, prioritize crit. This gives you the highest chances to snipe his heals.

2. On protectors, you can cut down on the number of your dispells -- you did more than him, and by avoiding them, not only will this give you more time to cast, but it will also increase the damage in the fight. People HP will get lower, and shamans get more powerful the lower the raid health is due to our mastery, but druids gain no such advantage. Don't worry, the raid still won't be in danger of dying since calamity gets rid of the debuffs anyway, the extra damage will just be healed by your healing rain and you'll get higher numbers than him.

3. Use your cooldowns liberally to snipe his heals. For example in Galakras phase II you didn't drop healing tide. It wasn't actually needed, but if your goal is to win him, you have to make use of each cooldown. Same in Iron Juggernat in the first stacking phase, you didn't use Ascendance. Also use ancestral swiftness more along with chain heal to snipe his heals.

I also noticed you had couple of wipes on Shamans. While most of them came from Iron prison, there were some from toxic mist. One thing you can do is have your pala tank spec into hand of purity, then cast it in the last six seconds of Toxic mist. This reduces the dot damage by 90%.

Another thing if you heal the top is wait on healing stream totem. Don't just cast it on cooldown, but time it so that it'll be active in the last 15 seconds of toxic mist, since the 30 seconds debuff is weak at the start but strong near the end. If you time it right the first time, from there on the cooldown of HST will align with the middle of the toxic mist debuff, but it's important to delay the first HST and get its timing right. If you make a mistake there, either skip one, or use call of the elements to fix and re-align.
    Last edited by Koor; 2014-03-07 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koor View Post
    I also noticed you had couple of wipes on Shamans. While most of them came from Iron prison, there were some from toxic mist. One thing you can do is have your pala tank spec into hand of purity, then cast it in the last six seconds of Toxic mist. This reduces the dot damage by 90%.

Another thing if you heal the top is wait on healing stream totem. Don't just cast it on cooldown, but time it so that it'll be active in the last 15 seconds of toxic mist, since the 30 seconds debuff is weak at the start but strong near the end. If you time it right the first time, from there on the cooldown of HST will align with the middle of the toxic mist debuff, but it's important to delay the first HST and get its timing right. If you make a mistake there, either skip one, or use call of the elements to fix and re-align.
    Great advice for timing HST usage. I actually spec out of Rushing Streams and into Conductivity for healing Haromm ramp group (just me and 2 tanks, 1 being a pally for Hand of Purity). Using Healing Wave glyph with Conductivity is very mana efficient which allows more CH's when needed.

Pally actually uses Hand of Purity on me for every falling ash. I know last 6s of Toxic Mist is brutal, but the combo of Ash+mist tick is more worrisome. With correct HST alignment while standing in your Healing Rain, having a Healing Surge prepped for last mist tick is ideal.

Bonus tip: if you somehow get iron prison on you before moving Haromm up the ramp (shouldn't ever happen if tanks are alert), have the pally cast Hand of Protection on you 5s before Iron Prison ends --- negates all damage from it since it's physical.

Deleted
    Thanks again for all the help. Yes I tried to reforge as much into crit as I could. Now I just have to find out how much of my spirit I will reforge to mastery on those items that already have crit.
    I definately feel that just the few thousands of crit rating I got gave a good healing boost, so thanks for that.

Thanks to you Koor for tips on how to pad meters

We only have 1 kill on shamans which we got last week. Yeah this time I had a lot of stupid deaths to Iron Prison. We are 3 tanking and 3 healing this boss and I am solo healing one of the bosses with 1 tank and all ranged dpses (the easy spot to be as healer). I will definately try the HTT timing trick. I just don't remember if its my group or the other that get Toxic Mist.

You guys seem to disagree about Glyph of Riptide. I too use it 100% of the time. Not because I have thoguht so much about to it. I have just gotten used to it now. But if you think I should try to replace it what glyph should I then go for?

Btw I think I should clarify that I wasn't that serious about beating my druid friend on the meters. I just want to get better and progress as fast as possible, so I don't think I will cut back on dispells

Btw I love this forum!

Toxic mist is in Haromm's group. It's best if Têressa heals Kardis since disc is overpowered for Iron Prison. Without a disc, I think it's better if the druid heals it since he has both Barkskin and Ironbark but we only have Stone Bulwark Totem.

A great glyph choice is totemic recall. We can recall HST on the last tick, and also drop a magma totem for free during the meta gem proc, and then recall it afterwards for a mana gain. Often it's possible to use a single GCD to recall both totems. I usually gain 100K-150K mana from it, which allows me to drop more spirit.
    Last edited by Koor; 2014-03-11 at 09:17 PM.