Change spec? (88-90)

I have an assassination rogue that is level 88. I am a super casual player. I do dungeons, but I don't raid, or do LFR, really. I have enjoyed playing him a lot, but when people show recount, I get disappointed with my DPS. So then I found out that my spec is actually the one that does the least dps for rogues.

I don't - well usually don't - do MoP dungeons as I don't feel like the XP is worth my time.

That said, I just hit 88 and have 2 full levels ahead of me.....in the 2 MoP zones I hate most. So I was thinking about actually doing dungeons just to avoid those zones..... I don't pvp because I am just terrible. The thought of doing Dread Wastes again is disheartening at best.

Do you think a re-spec would make a substantial enough difference to make me happier with my DPS?

BTW, I don't do LFR because my computer stinks. I only get 7 FPS max when doing them..... In 5 man dungeons I get about 40.

Make a change, or stay assassination? I have not even dual specced my rogue. With 2 levels ahead of me, and the way I play, I have about 8 or 9 hours of play til 90... I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're not really a rogue enthusiast, 88-90 are an absolute grind. Once you're 90, it gets a lot better. Realistically, you're not going to get a lot more mileage out of combat unless you've got better weapons for it (outside instances - anytime you can actually use blade flurry effectively, combat is ahead). Rogues really don't shine until they hit that ~480ish barrier that arrived with "mostly" first-tier raid gear, which is now easily attainable solo.

If you just need more burst, combat might get you out of some sticky situations, but if you're struggling as assassination, sub's not likely to help at all.

The biggest thing, if you're not using it, is to grab the glyph of deadly momentum. Not losing recup/SnD is huge. Beyond that, there's not a huuuge amount to help you get through those last two levels, besides the phrase "it gets better".

Deleted
    If you're not a huge rogue enthusiast, you might want to consider only playing him while rested. It takes 10 days in a town/inn to go to fully rested, which is 150% of a level.
    Assuming you need 2 whole levels, which are 200% of a level, you would spend 13,33... days waiting in a town.
    Keep in mind that 150% is the max you can have at any time.

That's what I did for my twink rogue, which I thought would be a good addition to my main rogue, but I basically don't tough my twink anymore.

And in addition to what Kael said the 1% additional recup heal glyph could be nice for solo leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by nihna View Post
    If you're not a huge rogue enthusiast, you might want to consider only playing him while rested. It takes 10 days in a town/inn to go to fully rested, which is 150% of a level.
    Assuming you need 2 whole levels, which are 200% of a level, you would spend 13,33... days waiting in a town.
    Keep in mind that 150% is the max you can have at any time.

That's what I did for my twink rogue, which I thought would be a good addition to my main rogue, but I basically don't tough my twink anymore.

And in addition to what Kael said the 1% additional recup heal glyph could be nice for solo leveling.
    This is only partially true due to the fact that quests don't change your rested XP, so doing a quest pushed that percentage of your rested bonus into the next level. So if questing is 50% of your total experience gained, you only need 1 level of rested

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    This is only partially true due to the fact that quests don't change your rested XP, so doing a quest pushed that percentage of your rested bonus into the next level. So if questing is 50% of your total experience gained, you only need 1 level of rested
    Totally forgot to add that. I figured the op would go dungeon grinding since his dislike of the next zones, but didn't really think about that he might quest there or somewhere else anyway.

Stay assassination. Without Assurance of Consequence our dps in combat or sub would be lower then in assassination. Also assassination less dependent from weapon dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not know how you manage to have those zones left? :O

Whenever I level a level 85, I get to 87, almost 88 in Jade Forest and then from 87½ to 90 in Kun Lai Summit with LOTS of quests left. Do these zones and you do not have to bother with the other zones you do no like.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

Deleted
    Assassination is easily the most straightforward spec. I understand you are fine soloing, but want to do more dps in dungeons. These are usually an AOE fest these days.
    You cannot compete with Arms warriors in AOE damage, but you can easily pull respectable AOE dps by: 1-opening hard on one enemy and getting SND and one bleed going, and 2-building points with FOK, pooling energy, Envenom-spam FOK. After that, you can try and incorporate more ruptures (on different enemies) - this will make your energy fly.
    For me, dispatch was a major part of DPS (at least in the third place after deadly poison and deadly poison ticks) as an assassin. Mind the last phases of a fight, where enemies are lingering below 35% health. You should be totally killstealing there, so dispatch as much as possible.
    If you just want to chill out, go with combat for blade flurry. Although it felt rather boring to me after actively dotting everyone and going dispatch-crazy towards the end.

Assassination is crazy for levelling. Just Mutilate out of stealth with Shadow Focus so you can Mutilate straight after and things just die. Other than my Shaman, levelling my Rogue was the highest DPS of any classes I've levelled to 90!

I've recently been trying out Sub (literally last night) and found a massive DPS increase, but Assassination kills things so fast while levelling I don't see a need for you to swap yet!

I have recommend this to everyone levelling a Rogue alt. Go Subtlety for 88-90.

1. Get SND and Recup going (always use Deadly Momentum glyph)
    2. Stealth - Premed/Garrote (macro) - Eviscerate, kills most things (or gets them low).

You can't chain pull like a tank but you will single target kill most things in a few seconds, take little damage, and refresh your SND/Recup with ease.

Combat is far too slow with energy regen and does terrible burst outside cooldowns. Assassination is ok but less powerful than Sub at 88-90.
    Last edited by jtstormrage; 2014-03-31 at 10:49 AM.

I can't check the name of it, but I got two of those daggers that are BOA along the wall in Dread Wastes for my rogue. You can loot the treasure on different characters. That said, I just had Deadly Momentum and leveled Assassination. Cheap shot, Mutilate, Eviserate killed most if not all, then a dispatch or two finished it..

I didn't like leveling sub because any boss you can't kill in the opener leaves you to Hemo since you can't backstab.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere