Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Moonkin looking for some tips! (Heroic Raiding)

Hey all, short and simple, I've joined a new raid team this past week and tonight is my first night as a trial. Currently I am 8/14 Heroic 25man and making the transition into a 10man guild that is 12/14Heroic. 4 of the fights are going to be new to me, and some will be slightly different on 10man than 10. Basically I am looking for some tips for Malkorok, Spoils, Thok, and Siegecrafter.

Anything goes: DPS tips, survival tips, Cooldown useage. Go for it!

Generally I'm good dps, ranking in the top 80-90th percentile on all of the first 8 fights so far.

Use the starfall glyph to avoid aggroing every add ever made by malkorok (personal tip, other may have a different opinion).
    Remember the holy rules of dotting on Spoils.
    Get the warlock symb bonus for Thok, it makes you immune to silence and pop it around 15th stack (depending on how many DAs your guild has)
    Place your sawblade correctly on siegecrafter.

I realize you might know all of these things, but that's fine. GL

EDIT: The thok tip is from a 25man perspective, might be different in 10man

10+ Year Old Account
    the glyph of guided stars is really not useful for boomkins, especially on aoe fights since it limits starfall to whatever mob has your dots on. As opposed to hitting say 10 adds it may only it 6 or 7 by the time you have everything dotted. To really offer help we'd need your logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    the glyph of guided stars is really not useful for boomkins, especially on aoe fights since it limits starfall to whatever mob has your dots on. As opposed to hitting say 10 adds it may only it 6 or 7 by the time you have everything dotted. To really offer help we'd need your logs.
    Claynoe specifically talks about Malkorok. There the glyph is a dps increase given that if you get ooze aggro you lose dps from the debuff.

Deleted
    on malkorok use your symb on a dk or a rogue, with the dk shell your have every void a cooldown(shell/barkskin)...
    Might of Ursoc glyph can help too, to get life back...

on siegecrafter you can use frostbomb/tailoring-web on the mines...
    i dont know wich taktik you played there, we get always mines, so you can pop your cd's on pull and than on the second op mines with your pot...

on klaxxi progress you should use the starfall-glyph too, you need max single dps... and you can easylie get every aim with displacer beast, if you have any deff cd ready for the aim you should go into your bearform!
    10men is a little bit harder 2 survive, so play save and learn the fights by yourself, your dps raise every week in 10men!

For protectors, I found that I used to spend too much time dotting and I was losing a lot of Nature's Grace because of it. So make sure you are dotting but still have enough NG to transition eclipses smoothly.

Yea, I thought I did pretty well on protectors, it's probably the toughest fight to manage my SS procs/eclipses/trinkets/dots all in one on 3 targets. Here's the link to my first raid, got 10/14H down, but only 9 show http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/stor...ave%C3%B5logy/

You've probably picked this up a bit since you've already started raiding with the new group, but here's how my transition from 25H to a top 10 US 10H guild went:

1) You are a lot more responsible for your own survivability. Things do less damage on 10m, but you also don't have as many raid CDs to take care of you. Making good use of personal cooldowns/healing is more important now.
    2) Strategies for the hardest bosses are pretty significantly different between the raid sizes. This applies less to you since you jumped up in progression by quite a bit, but it's something to keep in mind when you're researching the last couple fights.
    3) Be prepared to use your hybridity/utility at the expense of a bit of damage, more than you would in 25m. Especially on fights like H Garrosh, I was expected to take Nature's Vigil for extra healing throughput. Using the Garrosh example, NV for 2 of the Empowered Whirls, and Rejuvs for the others. Parsing is for farm, being a team player is for progression!

Bonus, unrelated to 10/25) For fights where you're only going to get two uses out of your cooldowns (i.e. fights that last less than 6 minutes like Iron Juggernaut or Malkorok), save your second usage and your second pot for when your Purified Bindings comes off cooldown roughly 4 minutes into the fight instead of using them right when they come up. This ensures that the second use of your cooldowns will be stacked with a big int proc instead of hoping that something procs randomly while you have them up.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Fathme View Post
    http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/proudmoore/teradan/

there's a list of everything you need to know, WOL included
    I don't think following a 40th percentile player is a good place to start at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lazerdollarz View Post
    For fights where you're only going to get two uses out of your cooldowns (i.e. fights that last less than 6 minutes like Iron Juggernaut or Malkorok), save your second usage and your second pot for when your Purified Bindings comes off cooldown roughly 4 minutes into the fight instead of using them right when they come up. This ensures that the second use of your cooldowns will be stacked with a big int proc instead of hoping that something procs randomly while you have them up.
    I find that using second set of CDs with a meta proc is a lot stronger than using it with a bindings proc. Not to mention that you need the fight to go for about 4:45 minimum to even be able to use your second set of CDs with bindings.
    Last edited by Glurp; 2014-03-09 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    I don't think following a 40th percentile player is a good place to start at all.
    Am I missing something? He was linking his own raidbots as a reference to be criticized... Or were you talking about someone else.

I find that using second set of CDs with a meta proc is a lot stronger than using it with a bindings proc. Not to mention that you need the fight to go for about 4:45 minimum to even be able to use your second set of CDs with bindings.

Cmon man quit making fun of people, what do ranks have anything to do with it. I've known plenty of players who do excellent theorycrafting and aren't very good. Just speaks to your intelligence and maturity level.

#smh

Personally I wouldn't listen to anyone barely even ranked on PROraiders, the best judge of player skill atm. Maybe get some advice for more experienced players than this bo-peep fella

Quote Originally Posted by Fountaiin View Post
    Am I missing something? He was linking his own raidbots as a reference to be criticized... Or were you talking about someone else.
    No turns out I missed something. I thought he was replying to the OP (who I didn't realize was himself) that those logs were a good place to start for learning/improving.

My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by lazerdollarz View Post
    You've probably picked this up a bit since you've already started raiding with the new group, but here's how my transition from 25H to a top 10 US 10H guild went:

1) You are a lot more responsible for your own survivability. Things do less damage on 10m, but you also don't have as many raid CDs to take care of you. Making good use of personal cooldowns/healing is more important now.
    2) Strategies for the hardest bosses are pretty significantly different between the raid sizes. This applies less to you since you jumped up in progression by quite a bit, but it's something to keep in mind when you're researching the last couple fights.
    3) Be prepared to use your hybridity/utility at the expense of a bit of damage, more than you would in 25m. Especially on fights like H Garrosh, I was expected to take Nature's Vigil for extra healing throughput. Using the Garrosh example, NV for 2 of the Empowered Whirls, and Rejuvs for the others. Parsing is for farm, being a team player is for progression!

Bonus, unrelated to 10/25) For fights where you're only going to get two uses out of your cooldowns (i.e. fights that last less than 6 minutes like Iron Juggernaut or Malkorok), save your second usage and your second pot for when your Purified Bindings comes off cooldown roughly 4 minutes into the fight instead of using them right when they come up. This ensures that the second use of your cooldowns will be stacked with a big int proc instead of hoping that something procs randomly while you have them up.

Hope this helps.
    Hey, this is a huge help. I heard that actually popping Incarnation 10 seconds before bindings procs it the best way to do it, but I don't have an add-on that tracks internal cooldowns for trinkets. Then when bindings procs you'd use CA of course..

You should definitely be tracking your trinket ICDs. I use NeedToKnow, but WeakAuras and a variety of other addons will do it just as well. There are tutorials on how to track item ICDs all over the place.

As for when to use your CDs again, it all boils down to stacking the most procs possible for as long as possible with the CDs. Using my method, you're quite likely to have other things like the meta proc at some point during the duration of the CDs, but you're 100% assured to have the full 20 seconds of your trinket proc be utilized during Incarnation.

Every fight in SoO lasted at least 6 minutes when it was current, and you could usually get 3+ uses, but the enrage on pre-change Norushen (25m) and Malkorok in particular only allowed 2 uses of CDs. Those fights were hard DPS checks, so this type of optimization was very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by officerlahey View Post
    Personally I wouldn't listen to anyone barely even ranked on PROraiders, the best judge of player skill atm. Maybe get some advice for more experienced players than this bo-peep fella
    Can't tell if troll or dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Enzymic View Post
    Can't tell if troll or dumb
    It IS pretty decent tho.

Heroic raiding can be learned as you go, playing with better people will make you a better player/more knowledgeable of the game, DPS (even if whoring) is a good number to judge 1) how many fucks does X player give about their performance, DPS is a number while raid usefulness isn't, 2) ties into 1 but how much research they do about their class, this should extend beyond knowing how to DPS.. 3) output is NEVER a bad thing.

Not saying it's the best (checking individual logs for individual players is) for evaluating player performance but it's up there.

+ Usually you can pretty safely assume that ProRaiders-ranked people don't suck balls at surviving in a HC raiding environment.

Should also be noted that ProRaiders stuff is mostly done on farm and whatnot, not a good basis for evaluating progression performance (this tier, at least) where it mattered, but it can in the future and with people switching from 14/14H to other 14/14H guilds so much these days, DPS is one of the few factors you can judge an app on.

#bias
    #preparingforshitstorm

OT: Get a sick UI that you like, I think it's important. Build your own or use any package but don't use defaults unless that's exactly where you're comfortable. Keep unnecessary info to a minimum (scrolling combat text and whatnot), hide action bar buttons you don't need to see, learn and use WeakAuras to your advantage (being able to track everything at all is VERY powerful), that goes for both DPS and general raid usefulness/not dying. Be 140% comfortable in your setup/macros, build the strongest foundation possible for you to become a better player upon. I'm obvs not a boomkin so those are mostly general raiding tips but I'm sure you can quickly come up with stuff to track that'll help your DPS.

I can recommend ElvUI as a starting point for building the rest upon but it's not -necessary-.
    Last edited by Azortharion; 2014-03-18 at 09:36 AM.

Oh, I agree that people ranked high on proraiders are good players. But just because you're not ranked doesn't necessarily mean you're bad. You can't discredit someone just because they're not ranked or lower ranked on PR.

I mean a bad player can do all the padding he wants but that'll still be nothing compared to a good player that pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzymic View Post
    Oh, I agree that people ranked high on proraiders are good players. But just because you're not ranked doesn't necessarily mean you're bad. You can't discredit someone just because they're not ranked or lower ranked on PR.

I mean a bad player can do all the padding he wants but that'll still be nothing compared to a good player that pads.
    Yeah ok very fair point.