Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Bonus roll system now replaces Valor?

"Valor Points were previously used to offset bad luck in getting raid drops, but the bonus roll system now fills that role."

UM no it doesn't. With the Bonus roll system i have a "CHANCE" to get gear. And a really low chance considering how BAD the "RNG" is. With valor it isn't a CHANCE at gear, its a GUARANTEED temporary replacement until I get LUCKY enough to get something. How did they come to the conclusion that the bonus rolls fills the role of valor????????

10+ Year Old Account
    No idea where they come up with it,Blizzlogic,I think the current state of currencies is ok,except JP/Honor is useless pretty soon in the expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    "Valor Points were previously used to offset bad luck in getting raid drops, but the bonus roll system now fills that role."

UM no it doesn't. With the Bonus roll system i have a "CHANCE" to get gear. And a really low chance considering how BAD the "RNG" is. With valor it isn't a CHANCE at gear, its a GUARANTEED temporary replacement until I get LUCKY enough to get something. How did they come to the conclusion that the bonus rolls fills the role of valor????????
    Um, yes it does.

Never before in the history of WoW have you had the option to not only re-roll for loot, but do it as many times as you want as long as you have coins. I've managed to get 4p tier in one day on my hunter from bonus rolls. One day.

Now, I don't agree with the idea of removing currencies. I like the upgrade system with VP now combined with bonus rolls. I don't want the change. But definitely bonus rolls are superior to valor in terms of getting gear.

They didn't says Bonus rolls fills the roll of valor, they said Bonus Rolls offset bad luck... which it does, it doesn't offset bad luck AS MUCH as the valor system did being as it was a guaranteed drop, but it still offsets it by giving you an extra roll and then (I think this was implemented a while back?) an increased chance to receive a drop from a roll based on how many previous failed rolls you had.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Um, yes it does.

Never before in the history of WoW have you had the option to not only re-roll for loot, but do it as many times as you want as long as you have coins. I've managed to get 4p tier in one day on my hunter from bonus rolls. One day.

Now, I don't agree with the idea of removing currencies. I like the upgrade system with VP now combined with bonus rolls. I don't want the change. But definitely bonus rolls are superior to valor in terms of getting gear.
    What are you talking about, how is a CHANCE at better gear > than a guaranteed purchase? You cannot roll as much as you want because you are limited to 3 rolls/weekly(at this moment), sure valor has a cap as well, however, when was the last time you spent all your valor and didn't get a single piece of gear?? Ill tell you when, NEVER because its not a CHANCE at gear.
    Last edited by Rad1um; 2014-03-05 at 06:28 PM. Reason: more info

10+ Year Old Account
    What are you talking about, how is a CHANCE at better gear > than a guaranteed purchase? You cannot roll as much as you want because you are limited to 3 rolls(at this moment), sure valor has a cap as well, however, when was the last time you spent all your valor and didn't get a single piece of gear?? Ill tell you when, NEVER because its not a CHANCE at gear.
    You're limited to total coins you have. Max of 10, which is achievable if you haven't used coins in a few weeks. Unless you're just starting out this week, there are absolutely bosses that you need nothing from.

Well, one, VP can't buy gear for the SoO tier. So already the bonus roll is superior. Two, the bonus roll can also award warforged gear, which is an improvement over the normal 553/540/528 that drops from SoO (though I don't think that works in LFR). Three, the bonus roll can award gold which...well, honestly is pretty damn useful for a guild wiping a lot on a specific boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Three, the bonus roll can award gold which...well, honestly is pretty damn useful for a guild wiping a lot on a specific boss.
    This bit I don't really agree with. Rather, I wish that coins had a minimum of 100g bags if you roll gold. You should know rather well that it costs well over 100g to repair your gear after about six wipes and getting 60g doesn't offset that by much.

Not saying it's specifically "unfair" but rather, it'd be nice if it were higher.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    This bit I don't really agree with. Rather, I wish that coins had a minimum of 100g bags if you roll gold. You should know rather well that it costs well over 100g to repair your gear after about six wipes and getting 60g doesn't offset that by much.

Not saying it's specifically "unfair" but rather, it'd be nice if it were higher.
    Yeah I could use more gold in it, but hey, every little bit helps. Sometimes it's been as low as 29g, but I've gotten 190g from bonus rolls before. Not often...but it has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post

Its not really supposed to offset it though it merely makes it feel like something that isn't entirely worthless.

I truelly approve of this change. We got spoiled ever since WotLK and now turning VP into bonus rolls brings back RNG Loot system in RPG game where it should be. Imo, nothing should ever be "guaranteed" in a game of RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholydevil View Post
    Its not really supposed to offset it though it merely makes it feel like something that isn't entirely worthless.
    Well yes, but my assertion still stands. "Would be nice."
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Deleted
    This is so out of context without the rest of the information.

They will be looking at reducing the chance to get duplicate items via bonus rolls aswell.

They stated they are looking at reducing the chance of getting duplicate items via the bonus roll as well.

So I guess instead of me getting a duplicate 3/4 times that I actually get gear from a bonus roll (b/c that's what happens to me personally)....maybe it will only be 1/2 the time lol

If they can reduce that chance, why can't they just eliminate it from happening at all on bonus rolls? Seems like a system that is in place to acknowledge you have received an item and reduce it's ability to drop again would also be a system that could just not let the item drop again at all.

What people are failing to realize is that with the new progression path for WoD, heroic gear will be on par with LFR gear both stepping stones to normal raiding. Heroics will have set loot drops that will be farmable, replacing the need to rely on luck for LFR loot system. Also they liked the timeless isle set up for gearing toons, and said it would carry over to WoD, this sounds to me like another way to replace need for valor gear. If you look at MoP in current tier, there is no need for valor loot as TI can get you just about everything you need to jump into SoO LFR. In WoD surely this same method will have loot on par to enter normal mode raids, as they have said its now 5man < 5man Heroic = LFR < Normal < Mythic or whatever it is. So LFR and 5man Heroics being the same path means the new area like TI will offer probably 5man heroic/ LFR level loot. So no need for valor as it currently doesnt even offer current content level loot anyways.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There will always be people to find something to QQ about; I for one couldn't be happier with this news tbh;

ALSO they have mentioned already they will be updating the bonus roll system in WoD (to also help lessen the chance at getting the same item so often)

ALSO like they said at Blizzcon, people who say they have use 7-9 coins and NEVER got a item are liars, I've never known anyone of my guildies go more than about 3-4 coins with no loot...

The only really nice thing about VP (Pre 5.4, anyway) was that it was a sure fire thing. You could take a bit of solace in knowing that if your boots don't drop this week, you can spend VP on a pair of boots (And then murphy's law kicks in, and a boss will drop better boots when your VP boots are no longer refundable.)

They said they had "Something Else" in store. Likely, there will be some form of currency, but If I had to guess, it won't be tied to dungeons (More Likely, we'll be using the same currency we use to purchase coins to purchase actual items, and old JP gear.)

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

We're not quite ready yet to talk specifics, but the plan is not to just remove currencies, let bonus rolls stay as-is, and expect everything will work out fine. We're keenly aware of how gearing works in the game. I think the changes we have planned will assuage your fears once we are ready to lay it out.

(It's pretty cool. I think you'll like it.)
    Emphasis added.

Sort of like a TBC Badge of justice, but can drop off anything, anywhere, and is also rewarded for doing quests, dailies, raids, dungeons, and just generally playing the game. Alternatively, could be something along the lines of a D3 "Paragon Level" system, where XP is accrued from killing mobs/doing dungeons/quests and those points are instead spent on Bonus Rolls, instead of doing a weekly quest to get coins.

Could have the ability to wager more than one coin to improve your odds, or opt out of peices of gear from a given boss (Making the pool of loot smaller, and improving your chances at getting desirable loot instead). Like spending 2 coins for twice the chance at loot, or spending 3 coins to get one extra shot at loot, and preventing the roll from being two items you've already got.

Sky is the limit, though I'm bracing for disappointment.

10+ Year Old Account

Let's see, 1000 valor a week, so that's 2000 every two weeks. Less than what valor gear coses. and from what I have seen it is nigh impossible to not get gear in 6 bonus rolls. where there is a chance to get more.

So yeah, whiner/complainer/bitcher. It is better than valor

Not only that, but valor gear is usually shitty, chance at teir? not bad at all.

I do however hope they keep gear upgrades, but only on the odd numbered patches
    Last edited by roahn the warlock; 2014-03-05 at 07:17 PM.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Not only that, but valor gear is usually shitty, chance at teir? not bad at all
    why are people not getting this, in MoP valor gear has basically sucked, like oh normal level trinkets arent on par a replacement for shit luck for a heroic raider. Bonus roll is however a valid option for a HM raider that is having bad luck on that one item he needs, he can possible get it via roll, same applies to tier. Valor has never been valid for real raiders.

10+ Year Old Account

UM no it doesn't.
    Yes, yes it does.

The single reason people dislike bonus rolls is because it gives a sense of reward, and when you aren't rewarded, or are rewarded gold, it doesn't feel like being reward, you get pissed off.

But the fact remains, it's a bonus chance for loot that we have never had before, it's just hard to always see it in a golden light.

I've gotten three HWF pieces from rolls, but I've also gotten gold 70% of the time.

Before MoP, I wouldn't of gotten bonus loot nor bonus gold.

We haven't seen the new system yet, so, we should really hold off the QQ for the blog or whatever on it, I'm interested to see, JP server no reason to me other than Heirlooms, and VP nothing but upgrades (For others it servers different purposes of course depending on their endgame), but I can see why some could go/be replaced.