Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Last Names: Time to expand our own character lore

I know there are addons that can handle things like this, but even SW:TOR, a free game that flopped miserably still had a Legacy name (last name) for your characters. Even better, they could all use the same last name. I'd enjoy having a last name in WoW. It could even be tied to the Garrisons. On a list of important things to fix in the game, this is likely near the bottom of the list, but it is still something some of us, particularly on an RP realm, might enjoy.

GW2 has the best naming convention that I know of.

The last step is to choose a name for your character, which can include from 3 to 19 characters. Names must be composed entirely of letters and (optional) spaces; names always use title case (i.e. the first letter of each word is capitalized) and must begin with a letter.
    Thing is, WoW's engine would require a bit of work to put that in at this point. It's not impossible by any means, but it would be aggrevating depending on what variables they use to call names.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see last names, but then again that will become to much with titles and shizle.

OT: I liked your old avatar more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I would love to see last names, but then again that will become to much with titles and shizle.

I would have to agree... with both parts.

I would LOVE to see lanst names but I think with Titles, Guild Name, CRZ*, Guild Rank with clutter things up a lot. Can't you turn off guild ranks?

I would have to make my last name Malanore...

As long as it could be fore or aft, I would like it. Most of my characters names are their last names, because elves have cooler last names. Would need to be able to display a first name. Or just not use the feature; make sure you can turn it off like TOR legacy.

Also, every character's last name is Jenkins after a trip to UBRS

last names would be nice. would also help with the issues of 2 people with the same first time.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Thanks. I did too. I figured it was time for a change. I was developing a "fan club" who would look for my Av and sig, and then derail whatever thread we happened to be in just to throw out some insults. I may change back at a later date.

On Topic: I agree. With current titles, it can get a bit long. But, if given the chance, I would likely use either the title or the surname, though it would be nice to use both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would love to see it.

As I play on a rather small private (and therefore not nearly as dependent on guilds), I simply got my Belf into a 'guild' by himself (also extra bank space for a hoarder..) and made the guild name the same as his chosen last name. (Edit: Well, his DK father is suitably in it as well.) Wouldn't mind seeing it on there like a real last name though! But using guild name kinda works though, if you don't mind being in it alone and missing the perks and junk... prob better for alts for most people or purely RP maybe.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-03-05 at 09:52 PM.

Deleted
    RPs would be pretty happy with this.

Wow should not have last names.... all anyone will do with that is write something stupid. Names are already bad enough.

I did wonder when I made my character long ago if there was a way to make a last name. Found out there wasn't so I was a bit disappointed. After getting titles though I thought "Well that's good enough". Recently, I played a different MMO though that allowed you to give your character a last name, however since I didn't even think about giving them a last name because all these years playing wow without a last name, I didn't give my character a last name. I felt kinda dumb though once I got into game and didn't have one.

Sorry maybe a bit OT, but getting to the point, at this point I could do with or without them, however if they would add that option, I would hope they would let us add it to whatever exists so that I don't end up being the only one in a group without a last name. Maybe give us a free name change or something.

That legacy name is absolutely pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    That legacy name is absolutely pointless.
    To some, perhaps. To others who enjoy the idea of an RPG, the RP can be just as important.

Heh, now that I think about it most of my characters' names are last names. It'd be nice to get to choose to have a first name or a last name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Heh, now that I think about it most of my characters' names are last names. It'd be nice to get to choose to have a first name or a last name.
    I could go for that as well. Have a text box and then select First or Last. Once saved, it will put it in the right spot. I think that idea would be much more feasible since there are likely more people in that same predicament.

I honestly love legacy names, and I'm really surprised they haven't done it yet...

I quite enjoyed that in ESO you can punch in practically any name you want simply because they simply allow a "space" character to be applicable. Many players were giving themselves their own goofy titles because of that. ^_^

A surname also would allow proper "server merges" in future - allowing players to retain their character name in case there's cross-over issues.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just what I'd want to see..... players with names like Deez Nutz, Al Coholic, IP Freely, Seymour Butz, Mike Hunt....

Nope, nothing could go wrong with this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    Just what I'd want to see..... players with names like Deez Nutz, Al Coholic, IP Freely, Seymour Butz, Mike Hunt....

Nope, nothing could go wrong with this.
    People who do that shit are going to do it whether or not you allow a space in the naming system, it already happens, and frankly it looks even more retarded when it's not done properly IMO. Besides, the solution has always been the same, report those names and they will probably get flagged.

Deleted
    Only on RP servers then.
    I don't want everyone to have a lastname unless I can disable it, with titles, names would be too long. And most of the peoples would just use it to make ridiculous names such as "Adolfhi tler" (As both Adolf and Hitler are forbidden) or puns. On non RP servers, almost all the names would end up like that, I'm not sure it's a good thing at all (no irony).
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2014-03-06 at 02:07 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    We already have titles. There are enough of them that you could certainly find a suitable last/first name pair.