Building a Laptop

Hey guys,

I am interested in building a laptop to try and save on some cost. I was wonderding if people actually do it? and how i would go about doing it (in terms of buying parts)

I found this site: http://www.getpartsonline.com/ which list very cheap parts, now im not sure if they are rip offs or refurbs but they seem decent. (8gb ram for $50 ddr3)

Pretty much i am aiming for i5/i7 @ 2.7ghz-3hgz
    8gb RAM
    500gb+ hardrive
    15inch+
    Dedicated graphics

I was also wondering 2 other things.

1) can i use my spare 2.5inch SSD in my laptop, and am i able to have more then 1 harddrive?
    2) what are laptop cases (not bags, just the actual casing) called? i cant find a name for it.
    Last edited by Skyraz; 2014-03-06 at 04:14 AM.

I wouldn't try it. What is your budget?
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Was hoping for under $1000, but that looks very unlikely at this stage. That's why i wanted to try build one to save a bit of money.

You can get a pretty decent computer for $8-900. Or is there a reason for wanting a laptop?
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2014-03-06 at 04:14 AM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

I already have a PC for gaming, but i would like a laptop for portability. Since i am away from home a lot and would still like to play my games.

I updated the specs i am after in original post

Quote Originally Posted by Skyraz View Post
    I already have a PC for gaming, but i would like a laptop for portability. Since i am away from home a lot and would still like to play my games.

I updated the specs i am after in original post
    It would probably be a better idea to look around various shop for nice deals on a "decent" laptop. You're not gonna be able to get a beast laptop but you could find one that can probably play most games on medium/high.
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2014-03-06 at 04:22 AM.

Well i had a bit of a look around on the net and found two that look okay. Guess i better track them down in-store

Ideapad vs Acer Inspire V3

The Ideapad is an Extra $130 but both are under $1000

The main difference i can find is 2gb RAM difference on GPU and .2ghz difference on CPU

Now to find out how much these cost in Australia :/

Well i had a bit of a look around on the net and found two that look okay. Guess i better track them down in-store

Ideapad vs Acer Inspire V3

The Ideapad is an Extra $130 but both are under $1000

The main difference i can find is 2gb RAM difference on GPU and .2ghz difference on CPU

Now to find out how much these cost in Australia :/
    The lenovo apparently also has dual gt750m cards too. Try ebay or www.pccasegear.com

10+ Year Old Account
    That site tells you that it is mostly for buying replacement/upgrade laptop parts with accessories on there too.
    As far as i know building your own laptop would be almost impossible without some knowledge of the parts and even then, very fucking costly.

If you don't get the right size screen for a case it won't fit, same for the keyboard and ofc the motherboard has to have the connections in the right place AND fit the case.
    And then you have to make sure everything is compatible.

Seriously, if you NEED a laptop and not a desktop, buy one new or second hand. I really DO NOT advise you buying parts and potentially wasting money.

There are plenty of people on these forums that are more than willing to help you pick parts, just give a budget and a location.

Alright guys, thanks for the help.

One last quick question then.

Is it possible for me to use my spare 2.5inch SSD and chuck it into the laptop? or is it not worth it? Since i have a spare 120gb thats not being used.

Alright guys, thanks for the help.

One last quick question then.

Is it possible for me to use my spare 2.5inch SSD and chuck it into the laptop? or is it not worth it? Since i have a spare 120gb thats not being used.
    You can use it without any problems. The only problem is that you'll only have 100gb~ of space on the laptop.