Page 1 of 3
LastLast

where is ret pally now? DPS Wise

Was thinking to start a alt as a ret pally, how are they doing in SoO? as dps wise

Middle of the pack single target, very good for aoe fights
    http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/
    Smitus of <Solace>, previously of <SNF>

10+ Year Old Account
    exactly what smitus said. middle pack at best, if your locks hunters mages are bad you will be on top.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good enough? The usual pitfalls required of melee dps.

Reliant heavily on Weapon, then Trinkets, then Setbonuses. And meeting strange secondary stat hurdle jumps.

Once geared though, ret can be quite formidable and if you've no qualms struggling to get your gear to make it feel right, then you'll be okay, but the combat may feel stiff. I myself have 3 paladin characters, 2 with a ret spec. One is excellently geared, and the other... not. The one not as geared feels clunky to me, and lacks the punch I gain from the right trinkets and proccs.

So prepare for a project, but I feel ret is worth it. There's scarce much different between the top dps spec and the bottom anymore (As the two above me have confirmed, we're slap in the middle of it, so I don't need to repeat) and movements on fights as well as how you talent and spec can change from encounter to encounter. (Ret can require some thought about talents and glyphs in order to cater for different fights, there is no cookie cutting here unless you count Fist of Stunthatasshole and Execution sentence. Those two lines don't change much)

Evil Eye of Galakras though man. ...Just saying. Coin that fucker for all you're worth once you get a reasonable weapon. The decreased cooldown time on your...well cooldowns is heavily welcome at the retribution table.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    Evil Eye of Galakras though man. ...Just saying. Coin that fucker for all you're worth once you get a reasonable weapon. The decreased cooldown time on your...well cooldowns is heavily welcome at the retribution table.
    Coined it for my Ret offspec yesterday.. got HC WF!!!!

-----------------

www.raidbots.com
    Be careful how you perceive the data shown on the site above, but depending on what metrics you use, you can see a general overview of things from a DPS perspective. Aside from pure numbers, Ret obviously also offers nice raid utility. It's not all about the dps!
    <Judge> Alonsus-EU. 6/8M Uldir
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

Great burst, buttcheese for sustained. Normal Ret stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Great burst, buttcheese for sustained. Normal Ret stuff.
    wrong. our burst is not good now. especially compared to most other classes.

Terrible single target (behind boomkins LOL), mediocre AOE (beast cleave, chain lightning, aff locks, destro locks/mind sear for certain amounts of mobs, howling blast all come to mind), and mediocre burst.

Deleted
    But don't worry, your utility will make a lot of difference, especially in 10man!
    No. Seriously. Double Sac, Double HoP, Devo Aura. make's Thok absolutely faceroll to have those cooldowns. And makes Siegecrafter considerably easier to have a DPS throw Sacs/SS's on the tanks.

Atleast does on our 25m guild with a total of 2 raiding pallies.

Just don't expect to top meters in anywhere above Flex.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehnskjold View Post
    Still not awful in PvP.
    Don't know / care about solo or unrated PvP, but if you are talking from a rated PvP standpoint, Rets are one of the least represented classes at 2.2k+ right now.

I know gear isn't far into the season right now, so sustained pressure comps like LSD shine more anyway, but having 6 Rets in EU and 6 Rets in US above 2.2k right now is pretty awful to me. Also don't forget that Ret is historically one of the most popular speccs out there, which only amplifies the statement.

Edit to this:
    Just checked back on the ladder and there's actually only 1 Ret in Top 100 US, 0 in EU. Two for Top 300 in US, 0 EU.

OT:
    Overall they seem to be around the middle of the pack, at the higher middle for melees.
    For pure singletarget fights in BiS gear, they are pretty bad (probably worst melee, obviously not counting arms, but on AoE fight they are actually really good(like top 2-3 melee), especially with the 4-Piece bonus.

Take with a grain of salt though, didn't touch my Ret or PvE that much this patch/expansion.
    Last edited by noepeen; 2014-03-17 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodrogue View Post
    Terrible single target (behind boomkins LOL), mediocre AOE (beast cleave, chain lightning, aff locks, destro locks/mind sear for certain amounts of mobs, howling blast all come to mind), and mediocre burst.
    If that's how you think ret is based on your own experience then maybe you should reroll, I mean if ret (according to you) is the worst spec in the game why don't you do your guild (and us) a big favor and just go warlock...
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

I don't understand why people keep saying 'mediocre'. From my (limited) experience in Normals, I've yet to see anything but a Fury Warrior/Combat Rogue/(well geared) Enhancement Shaman match the melee damage being put out. Add to that the tremendous utility we offer and I think Ret is in a much better place than people think. Sure, it's utter balls in PVP, but I couldn't care less anymore. PVP right now is a stun fest so we're jail bait.

It might be a server specific phenomenon for me only, but I rarely see Rets these days in raids.

I could see Ret being pretty good tho, its raid utility is decent, not exactly Warrior but it's up there, but its a lot more self sufficient then a Warrior would be. Tho again, I see very few of them these days for some reason.

For the utility alone I'd rather play a Paladin than Warrior. I'm really liking my DK right now but purely because it's so derpy on AOE fights.

Deleted
    IMO Retri is good in a raid if you are skilled and geared enough to play him to his full potential , on single target equally geared and skilled feral , rogue, enh shaman , warriors even frost dk (and monks i think) beat him . On cleave it depends on how many adds you can dps and your rng with procs but warriors and frost DKs are more reliable for sure.

This doesnt mean we are useless , at least in an 25man enviroment we can bring very good utility and if you are not interesting in going for world 1st guild as long as you are a good raider playing the class to its full potential you will be very useful to your raid but dont expect to be No1 in meteres if you raid with skilled raiders, depending on what guild you are top5 or even top10 is good.

There are classes doing 20k-100k more than us so even if they dont play to their full potential they will propably beat you but it doesnt matter in the end if you are 10-20k behind as long as you are good raider retri is very very useful for the hard challenges of this tier , siege,klaxi,garosh and thats what it matters.

you all sound like abused woman as you explain the state of ret.
    "we are alright you know as long as you dont expect to be good or anything."
    "we bring lots of utility to the table. You know, as long as none of the other classes at all dont bring the same spells."

fact is ret is low. if you are in the top 10 on a DPS chart for a single target fight, the people you are raiding with are playing poorly. if you can AOE you can pad the meters pretty hard, but very few fights that matters. hat said, ret is fun to play and i like the challange of beating classes with easy street to top of the charts, as i only do LFR anymore.

as you said you are going to start a paladin, ret is the way to level. and you can always roll prot at 90, or just have a 90 paladin and see what happens at 100.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    For the utility alone I'd rather play a Paladin than Warrior. I'm really liking my DK right now but purely because it's so derpy on AOE fights.
    Funny that out of all the melee classes, you happen to pick up one class that has about equal or better utility than rets. Warriors have cds to increase raid dps (banner, shatter) which is useful on every boss. Raid and single target cds are matched with rallying cry banner and vigilance. It's not possible to cheese that many mechanics with HoP anymore (IJ,Thok,Paragons maybe garrosh few uses for hop) so that isn't as useful.

Deleted
    Where is ret pally now?

Probably in France.

Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    Funny that out of all the melee classes, you happen to pick up one class that has about equal or better utility than rets. Warriors have cds to increase raid dps (banner, shatter) which is useful on every boss. Raid and single target cds are matched with rallying cry banner and vigilance. It's not possible to cheese that many mechanics with HoP anymore (IJ,Thok,Paragons maybe garrosh few uses for hop) so that isn't as useful.
    Skull Banner gets removed in WoD because it's too strong.
    Raid wide CDs on dps specs might be removed, not confirmed yet. IF that happens then paladin utility is unique to dpsers!
    If you don't see many uses for ret utility in SoO then you're clearly not experienced enough that you can use them properly. I use sac/bop on every single encounter in SoO, sometimes even on cd.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!