Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by rickhunterr View Post
    I don't understand the knee jerk resistance to the Idea of a BM as a Melee Spec. .
    Because changing my favorite spec into a non-ranged spec after it being a ranged spec for nine years for no gain other than "it's different now" is stupid.

I don't want to be in melee range. I'm a ranged and I want to deal with ranged mechanics. That's why I made my character a ranged class. Why not make Warlock or Mage have a melee spec? Or Shadow Priest melee? I'm sure they'd all love having their effective range drastically reduced and not do any extra damage to compensate.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

I wouldn't use it but the option would be nice I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    Why would I pick hunter if I wanted a melee class?
    I agree with this. The occasional Wing Clip was fun and now minimum range is gone, but you have other choices for melee classes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    I don't want to be in melee range. I'm a ranged and I want to deal with ranged mechanics. That's why I made my character a ranged class.
    It's almost like you have 3 specs. The idea of a class with 3 specs that all play identically is stupid. Like I said already, why not just give Hunters 1 spec then? They are the most rigid and thematically boring of all the classes in WoW.

Edit: Also, the reason you wouldn't turn Enh into a tanking spec is because then you're removing the ability to play a melee-DPS. Shamans already have 3 functionally different specs. Changing BM doesn't remove your ability to play ranged-DPS.

Reintroduce Eyes of the Beast as a BM-only cooldown. You would temporarily gain manual control over your pet (think mind-control, the camera would switch to them in melee range) with a linked health pool (so that healers wouldn't have to target your pet instead) and your actual character would operate like a pet for the duration, like a frost mage's water elemental. It could just cast auto shot or steady or whatever. During the EotB CD, pet abilities replace your own (maybe add a few new ones to make it a bit more complex) and pet's damage is increased by yadda yadda who cares etc..

Before anyone gets up-in-arms about a drastic change like that, keep in mind that hunter specs reeeaally need some differentiation right now. As it is, all the hunter specs are exactly the same. Focus builder (steady/cobra), focus dump (arcane), signature shot (Chimera/Kill Command/Explosive), special move/proc/shortCD (Aimed, Black Arrow, Kill Command), and a dot (SS) along with CDs that they all have, so being attached to one spec in particular doesn't make much sense to me. You literally change 2 buttons to switch specs.

This kind of thing would certainly help make them feel different, and it fits with the BM theme w/o making it full melee. Make MM petless w/ Volley AoE (just an idea, since MM AoE is practically non-existent atm and could use some re-invigoration) and Armor Pen mastery and BOOM, you got yourself 3 substantially different hunter specs without breaking any of their overall themes.
    Last edited by Akuda23; 2014-03-08 at 07:29 PM.

Anyone remember melee hunters from vanilla? They were mostly in pvp and weren't very good....but c'mon, gotta love those guys for trying!

10+ Year Old Account
    BEAST Mastery a melee class?

I think MM or Survival is more suitable, I would say MM.

- - - Updated - - -

BEAST Mastery a melee class? I think MM or Survival is more suitable tbh, MM more-so than Surv.

But Hunter has always been a ranged class like Warlock and Mage. Making them melee is odd. Maybe just have 1 spec that doesn't like pets like MM (which I think Blizzard is trying to implement). I do agree that the specs need to be changed SLIGHTLY so they play differently, but I disagree with a melee spec.

And I use BM for PvE and MM for PvP, the specs/ attacks are not identical and the play style is a bit different, but people will always have something to complain about.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a bad idea, It shouldn't happen, and it won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Akuda23 View Post
    Reintroduce Eyes of the Beast as a BM-only cooldown. You would temporarily gain manual control over your pet (think mind-control, the camera would switch to them in melee range) with a linked health pool (so that healers wouldn't have to target your pet instead) and your actual character would operate like a pet for the duration, like a frost mage's water elemental. It could just cast auto shot or steady or whatever. During the EotB CD, pet abilities replace your own (maybe add a few new ones to make it a bit more complex) and pet's damage is increased by yadda yadda who cares etc..
    This was sort of the idea I had a few months ago and was about to post. :-) Make Bestial Wrath a cooldown where you become your pet. Maybe your hunter's body stays behind a bit like the effect for the monk / priest things where they leave their body behind, or maybe your hunter's body just merges completely with the pet. Then you get to rampage as your pet, and your main hunter abilities get replaced with vaguely analogous melee versions that do more damage.

It would be cool because controlling other character models is fun. It's why shapeshifting as a druid is cool. But it would be even better because of the variety of pet models. And it would certainly sort out a lot of the problems with making the specs different.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
    This was sort of the idea I had a few months ago and was about to post. :-) Make Bestial Wrath a cooldown where you become your pet. Maybe your hunter's body stays behind a bit like the effect for the monk / priest things where they leave their body behind, or maybe your hunter's body just merges completely with the pet. Then you get to rampage as your pet, and your main hunter abilities get replaced with vaguely analogous melee versions that do more damage.

It would be cool because controlling other character models is fun. It's why shapeshifting as a druid is cool. But it would be even better because of the variety of pet models. And it would certainly sort out a lot of the problems with making the specs different.
    This idea sounds bad. why someone being in long range would suddenly port to melee range? it will also make it useless in PvP situation, almost always that version of BW will gimp u in PvP and in PvE as well. having similar spells as beast sounds cool, but it wont be so cool, unless u can key bind it and u cant keybind it with normal hunter spells.

long story short, it wont be reality.

Quote Originally Posted by anjan011 View Post
    This idea sounds bad. why someone being in long range would suddenly port to melee range? it will also make it useless in PvP situation, almost always that version of BW will gimp u in PvP and in PvE as well. having similar spells as beast sounds cool, but it wont be so cool, unless u can key bind it and u cant keybind it with normal hunter spells.

Well, you've got two hunters (Kaitain and myself) already who think it would be cool. Granted that's two out of hundreds of thousands of hunters, but it proves we exist and I'd be willing to bet others would find it cool too. Regardless, I think the primary reason you might want to do such a thing would be variety and spec differentiation, as we both said. Switch it up a bit. I wouldn't want to go full melee myself, but put it on a Stampede level duration and cooldown, and I think that would really break the monotony. It would certainly be more interesting to hit than Stampede, both from a visual and gameplay perspective.

Anyway, I don't understand dismissing it as a useless gimp with nothing to go on other than a vague idea of an ability. Theoretically, it could boost your damage by 100% and give you two new CC's and a pvp trinket. That'd be ridiculous, but my point is it's just a general idea of an ability, with no numbers or new pet abilities even proposed, so it's kind of odd to say that it will be useless or a gimp at this point.

I don't understand the problem with keybindings. When you get into a vehicle or a tank or something, the abilities and action buttons for it replace your own, on the same keybindings, no work required. Furthermore there's spells/talents in the game already which augment other spells, automatically replacing them on your bars.

I agree though, that it won't be reality. I don't see Blizz making a change this big, even though they promised hunters a bit of differentiation. I have a feeling that's going to amount to minor changes to arcane shot under a new name for each spec.
    Last edited by Akuda23; 2014-03-09 at 06:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akuda23 View Post
    Well, you've got two hunters (Kaitain and myself) already who think it would be cool. Granted that's two out of hundreds of thousands of hunters, but it proves we exist and I'd be willing to bet others would find it cool too. Regardless, I think the primary reason you might want to do such a thing would be variety and spec differentiation, as we both said. Switch it up a bit. I wouldn't want to go full melee myself, but put it on a Stampede level duration and cooldown, and I think that would really break the monotony. It would certainly be more interesting to hit than Stampede, both from a visual and gameplay perspective.

Anyway, I don't understand dismissing it as a useless gimp with nothing to go on other than a vague idea of an ability. Theoretically, it could boost your damage by 100% and give you two new CC's and a pvp trinket. That'd be ridiculous, but my point is it's just a general idea of an ability, with no numbers or new pet abilities even proposed, so it's kind of odd to say that it will be useless or a gimp at this point.

I don't understand the problem with keybindings. When you get into a vehicle or a tank or something, the abilities and action buttons for it replace your own, on the same keybindings, no work required. Furthermore there's spells/talents in the game already which augment other spells, automatically replacing them on your bars.

I agree though, that it won't be reality. I don't see Blizz making a change this big, even though they promised hunters a bit of differentiation. I have a feeling that's going to amount to minor changes to arcane shot under a new name for each spec.
    2 out of every 100 people also have autism too so. grats

Quote Originally Posted by Kissthebaby View Post
    What a relevant, insightful, and helpful contribution. Thank you for posting. You can tell by what I wrote that I clearly wasn't already aware that two hunters are statistically insignificant, and now thanks to you I've also learned that autism is irrelevant too, as it also exists at such a low ratio. Or perhaps you were insinuating that I have autism? I gotta admit I was so blow away by the quality of your comment that I can't even wrap my head around it, so maybe I do.

The forums are a brighter place with you in them.
    Last edited by Akuda23; 2014-03-09 at 11:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rickhunterr View Post
    After seeing the trailer for warlords, how cool would it be for BM to be a Melee class instead of a range. It already fits since most of the damage is from your pet.
    It doesn't really matter as Blizzard explicitly said that BM isn't going to be a melee spec, like ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by raydan View Post
    BEAST Mastery a melee class?

I think MM or Survival is more suitable, I would say MM.

- - - Updated - - -

BEAST Mastery a melee class? I think MM or Survival is more suitable tbh, MM more-so than Surv.

But Hunter has always been a ranged class like Warlock and Mage. Making them melee is odd. Maybe just have 1 spec that doesn't like pets like MM (which I think Blizzard is trying to implement). I do agree that the specs need to be changed SLIGHTLY so they play differently, but I disagree with a melee spec.

And I use BM for PvE and MM for PvP, the specs/ attacks are not identical and the play style is a bit different, but people will always have something to complain about.
    You think that MM -a spec designed entirely around the feeling of being a "sniper" who relies considerably less on the pet and more on his own damage- would be better spec for melee. /facedesk

The melee components Survival had back in vanilla were so broken. I still remember just going melee, with enchanted swords doing nothing but Raptor Strike and Counter attack and it wrecked in PvP. Ah the olden days.
    Pokemon X FC: 2148 - 8263 - 9208

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Anyone remember melee hunters from vanilla? They were mostly in pvp and weren't very good....but c'mon, gotta love those guys for trying!
    Ah I remember those days fondly.

"Why are you meleeing hunter?"
    "Because I am melee spec!"
    "Your dps is abysmal. Why don't you use your bow instead?"
    "Because I am melee *#&@ing n00b111!!1"
    "Want to know what else you are? Groupless."
    *kick hunter*

Deleted
    I really don't like being melee, if they make hunter a melee class it's going to be aweful.

Quote Originally Posted by anjan011 View Post
    lol. no kidding. None of this thread will. I thought it was a wishful thinking sort of thread. I thought everyone knew WoD was almost in beta. Massive design u-turns don't happen in betas. My bad if I misunderstood the point of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissthebaby View Post
    About 2* out of every 100 people are game designers too :-P

* - fact may or may not be made up
    Last edited by Kaitain; 2014-03-10 at 09:17 AM.