Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Warcraft "Tactics"

Hey folks. I got smacked with a nostalgia bomb yesterday and started remembering one of my favorite games ever, Final Fantasy Tactics.
    It got me thinking about a "Blizzard" version, or more specifically a warcraft version.

Do you guys think that would be cool/interesting?
    Probably wouldnt be able to switch classes/jobs like you do in FFT but you could hire specific classes and field any combo team you like. Even have specific lore characters with unique skills, just like FFT with that awesome old guy (dont remember his name, with the super knight sword skills).

You think it could potentially replace an RTS if BLizzard ever decided to do a Warcraft 4?
    I dont know how multiplayer would work but i'm sure there are lots of people out there with workable ideas.
    Do you also think that the gaming market no longer responds well to turn based games? I havnt seen any like FFT or even Fallout Tactics in a long time (Fallout fans didn't respond well to tactics but I for one loved it)

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that would be the best game ever . I would literally drop a Warcraft skin on FFT though. Keep the class switching in, because that allowed you to make the advanced classes, which required the base classes at certain levels (so once your character had level 5 warrior and level 5 monk they would unlock Samurai etc). Obviously the "Lore" characters would be locked into one class, they'd also be stronger than the normal versions of the class (the guy you're thinking of is Cidolfus Orlandeau, the Thundergod, who has the coolest class name EVER "Sword Saint")

damnit... Now I want to play Final Fantasy Tactics again... but my PsP is broken :@
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I think that would be the best game ever . I would literally drop a Warcraft skin on FFT though. Keep the class switching in, because that allowed you to make the advanced classes, which required the base classes at certain levels (so once your character had level 5 warrior and level 5 monk they would unlock Samurai etc). Obviously the "Lore" characters would be locked into one class, they'd also be stronger than the normal versions of the class (the guy you're thinking of is Cidolfus Orlandeau, the Thundergod, who has the coolest class name EVER "Sword Saint")

damnit... Now I want to play Final Fantasy Tactics again... but my PsP is broken :@
    FFT is on PS1. You can also get FFT Advanced for the gameboy advanced. And lastly, you can get FFTA2 on the DS.

There are also additional tactics games such a Suikoden Tactics, which was actually kinda neat.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I think the Tactics-style games are a little too niche for Blizzard. Looking at some of their recent projects, I would be exactly surprised, but I think they'd pursue an RTS WC4 first.

And don't forget the last time they planned on bringing Warcraft into a niche genre. "Warcraft Adventures"

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh we can dream cant we?
    I knew I couldnt be the only person who would play the SHIT out of a game like this.

As Halicia mentioned though, I fear the market just wont accept this type of game anymore

Maybe as a mobile phone app perhaps.

I think overall it would have to be much grander in scope. Encompassing armies with lieutenants. Perhaps something on the lines of Ogre Battle 64 then you could make individual skirmishes into a 'tactics' type battle.

A small party of characters battling a small subset of monsters doesn't really fit the bill of what Warcraft should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Isn't the tactics franchise a copyright of Square Enix anyway? You can't just have "Warcraft Tactics" lol, unless they did some sort of joint merger nonsense.

That's like saying "Bro, NBA 2kCraft would be hella sick breh. Thrall drainin 3's all day err'day."

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I think the Tactics-style games are a little too niche for Blizzard. Looking at some of their recent projects, I would be exactly surprised, but I think they'd pursue an RTS WC4 first.
    The last Fire Emblem game did well enough for being a similar style game, so I wouldn't say it's too niche, but I would agree that Blizzard seems to aim for the top trends, not anything less.

7+ Year Old Account
    App sounds good, as long as it isn't butchered the same way Dungeon Keeper was. Although, FFT I have played almost (almost) to the point of disinterest, it'll always be a great game. I couldn't enjoy FFTA for the life of me. Strategy/War games have lost the idea of Dark Omen style gameplay. Kinda sucks, imo...

A Warcraft strategy RPG?

*and visions of a Disgaea/Warcraft hybrid danced in unholytestament's head*

Quote Originally Posted by cbeefman View Post
    Hey folks. I got smacked with a nostalgia bomb yesterday and started remembering one of my favorite games ever, Final Fantasy Tactics.
    It got me thinking about a "Blizzard" version, or more specifically a warcraft version.

Do you guys think that would be cool/interesting?
    Probably wouldnt be able to switch classes/jobs like you do in FFT but you could hire specific classes and field any combo team you like. Even have specific lore characters with unique skills, just like FFT with that awesome old guy (dont remember his name, with the super knight sword skills).

You think it could potentially replace an RTS if BLizzard ever decided to do a Warcraft 4?
    I dont know how multiplayer would work but i'm sure there are lots of people out there with workable ideas.
    Do you also think that the gaming market no longer responds well to turn based games? I havnt seen any like FFT or even Fallout Tactics in a long time (Fallout fans didn't respond well to tactics but I for one loved it)
    Chess Event anyone? Something like that but on a much larger scale, in a smaller package.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Isn't the tactics franchise a copyright of Square Enix anyway? You can't just have "Warcraft Tactics" lol, unless they did some sort of joint merger nonsense.

That's like saying "Bro, NBA 2kCraft would be hella sick breh. Thrall drainin 3's all day err'day."
    I just want to say that NBA 2kCraft sounds like a bunch of goofy fun and would be funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    That's how it starts. Next thing you know it's 3am and people are still being wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    The fact that he's chirping means he's a male, and he's chirping because he wants sexy times, which he's obviously not going to get.

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes!
    We need a Tactics game and a Dynasty Warriors game from Blizzard now. Get to work!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post

they copyrighted the name, not the design of the game. so blizzard could introduce something like it but the final name wouldn't be tactics. like HoTs is different from LoL, DotA, HoN etc. etc.all MOBAs different styles and name

if blizzard put another ogre battle type game on the launcher they would make another few hundred million easy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenway View Post
    Yes!
    We need a Tactics game and a Dynasty Warriors game from Blizzard now. Get to work!
    I would explode with joy if they made "Warcraft Warriors"

And yeah while calling it "Warcraft Tactics" would probably infringe a copyright or two, Square don't own the concept of Strategy RPGs .
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    A Warcraft strategy RPG?

*and visions of a Disgaea/Warcraft hybrid danced in unholytestament's head*
    It's a glorious thought, isn't it? Do want.

Yes but only if they focus on actual gameplay and not - SHINY!!!!.

I don't know if anyone else picked up on this, but regarding FFT:
    Remember going into bars and sending your group members on missions for different periods of time, then they'd come back with loot or money and the like?

Well, I looked at WoD and the Garrisons and thought...well, that's a great take on FFT missions!

I love strategy games and the WoW universe, so a game like this would be cool. However, with games like FFT as a basis, it'll be hard to replicate and make as awesome. Games like Fire Emblem are still really fun, with permanent death and such. Also, the Project STEAM game by Nintendo looks like it has great potential too, as a new take on strategy.

Anyway, here's hoping for a game like this, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    I don't know if anyone else picked up on this, but regarding FFT:
    Remember going into bars and sending your group members on missions for different periods of time, then they'd come back with loot or money and the like?

Well, I looked at WoD and the Garrisons and thought...well, that's a great take on FFT missions!

I love strategy games and the WoW universe, so a game like this would be cool. However, with games like FFT as a basis, it'll be hard to replicate and make as awesome. Games like Fire Emblem are still really fun, with permanent death and such. Also, the Project STEAM game by Nintendo looks like it has great potential too, as a new take on strategy.

Anyway, here's hoping for a game like this, haha!
    That's the first thing I thought of when I started doling out missions from my garrison. I'd really like to see it become something extremely robust and involving.