1. #1

    Hoe does feign death work? Newbie question

    Hi, I'm new to the hunter class.

    How does feign death exactly work? Does it work only when the mob is far away from me? Because every time a mob is hitting me in melee and I use feign death nothing really happens, it just gets on cooldown. Any explanation?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by gamon12 View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the hunter class.

    How does feign death exactly work? Does it work only when the mob is far away from me? Because every time a mob is hitting me in melee and I use feign death nothing really happens, it just gets on cooldown. Any explanation?
    Make sure you stand still and stop autoattacking the mob, often it fails because you still have it right clicked or because you are not completely still.
    Try to take 1 second to stand still and then cast it, then it should work

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by gamon12 View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the hunter class.

    How does feign death exactly work? Does it work only when the mob is far away from me? Because every time a mob is hitting me in melee and I use feign death nothing really happens, it just gets on cooldown. Any explanation?
    FD clears all threat and stops your auto attacks, so unless you keep attacking after activating the ability any mobs attacking you should lose interest.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

  4. #4
    You cant cast Feing Death and then start moving directly afterwards. You need to see the mob start running back to its original position.
    1: Stop moving and cast any spells
    2: Cast Feign Death and lay still
    3: Let your pet die
    4: Watch the mob run back
    5: You are now free to move.

  5. #5
    If you get hit before it can take effect the engine cancels it out(can happen if you click the wrong time and get attacked exactly then), same is true for other similar abilities(like mage greater invis). Best option when being melee'd is to disengage and FD.

  6. #6
    Immortal Treelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,213
    Afaik it can still resist, but often it's your pet what keeps you in combat. Hit pet passive/pet follow a couple of times after you FD and you'll leave combat - your pet might not, but you can mount up and they will leave it alone. Quick macro to make sure you FD even during casts.

    #showtooltip Feign Death
    /stopcasting
    /stopcasting
    /cast Feign Death

  7. #7
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Mulgore
    Posts
    172
    it is essentially a complete agro dump...IF it works
    In essence you are attempting to fool the mob into thinking that you are dead, it can fail

    In your case, try to ensure you are not using the skill while moving, in my experience that is where it has failed more often as lag can cause a little delay between when the agro falls to 0 and the mob actually resetting (this is just a guess, i have ZERO data to back this up).

    Also keep in mind that your pet will still be in combat with the mob so unless you dismiss the pet before feigning, you run the risk of getting back into combat when you get back up (if you're far enough away you can get up and you should be fine though)
    Also note: AoE spells WILL STILL HIT YOU while feigned and some bosses just straight up dont give two craps if your feigned or not, they will still stomp your face into the stone age.

  8. #8
    Yeah, like the above posts say, you cannot press it while moving. You have to stop entirely and then press it & stay still.

  9. #9
    Thank you guys, that helped a lot !

  10. #10
    In raids it works like this:

    1. Raid leader calls wipe.
    2. Dismiss pet. (If you don't have time, manually hit growl after sending it to attack something that will kill it.)
    3. Try to find a spot where nothing will kill you so you can cast mass resurrection, or at least survive.
    4. Feign Death.
    5. Watch as some stupid SOB just has to drag out their inevitable death as long as possible.
    6. Curse Blizzard for making 90% of all mechanics ignore feign death, as you die because Garrosh tossed a desecrate at your pretend-corpse, now a real corpse.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    In raids it works like this:

    1. Raid leader calls wipe.
    2. Dismiss pet. (If you don't have time, manually hit growl after sending it to attack something that will kill it.)
    3. Try to find a spot where nothing will kill you so you can cast mass resurrection, or at least survive.
    4. Feign Death.
    5. Watch as some stupid SOB just has to drag out their inevitable death as long as possible.
    6. Curse Blizzard for making 90% of all mechanics ignore feign death, as you die because Garrosh tossed a desecrate at your pretend-corpse, now a real corpse.
    God damn Blood DK, just die already.
    Omnipotent WCL || Omnipotent Site || Stream: 5-9pm PST Tues/Wed/Thurs || Worst Btag Ever: Slenderman#1355

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    In raids it works like this:

    1. Raid leader calls wipe.
    2. Dismiss pet. (If you don't have time, manually hit growl after sending it to attack something that will kill it.)
    3. Try to find a spot where nothing will kill you so you can cast mass resurrection, or at least survive.
    4. Feign Death.
    5. Watch as some stupid SOB just has to drag out their inevitable death as long as possible.
    6. Curse Blizzard for making 90% of all mechanics ignore feign death, as you die because Garrosh tossed a desecrate at your pretend-corpse, now a real corpse.
    We nightelves feel your pain. (Just DIE before something hits me and knocks me out of shadowmeld already!!!)

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    In raids it works like this:

    1. Raid leader calls wipe.
    2. Dismiss pet. (If you don't have time, manually hit growl after sending it to attack something that will kill it.)
    3. Try to find a spot where nothing will kill you so you can cast mass resurrection, or at least survive.
    4. Feign Death.
    5. Watch as some stupid SOB just has to drag out their inevitable death as long as possible.
    6. Curse Blizzard for making 90% of all mechanics ignore feign death, as you die because Garrosh tossed a desecrate at your pretend-corpse, now a real corpse.
    As a warlock, I feel it is my duty to, on a wipe, soul stone myself, then stand on top of the FD hunter, just to mess up their plans. Cuz I'm a lock and I'm evil.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSandwich View Post
    As a warlock, I feel it is my duty to, on a wipe, soul stone myself, then stand on top of the FD hunter, just to mess up their plans. Cuz I'm a lock and I'm evil.
    You are the worst kind of person.
    Omnipotent WCL || Omnipotent Site || Stream: 5-9pm PST Tues/Wed/Thurs || Worst Btag Ever: Slenderman#1355

  15. #15
    Warchief Redpanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Searching for the Old Gods
    Posts
    2,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremypwnz View Post
    You are the worst kind of person.
    the worst kind of person is the priest that levitates you when youre fded. and warlocks....because fuck warlocks
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

  16. #16
    I have more issues with sodding Shadow Priests who want to keep their sodding shadow orbs and still sodding die after failing their sodding Spectral Guise.

    On top of that, I'm already not able to pre-trap bosses anymore because they feel wasting their trinket procs for one Shadow Orb with the stupid wolf pet is worth it.
    ...sodding sods.
    Bovan.9481
    Completed legendaries: Twilight, Sunrise, (Eternity), Incinerator, Bolt, Quip, Frostfang, The Juggernaut, Howler.
    Current projects: Predator and Aether.

  17. #17
    #showtooltip Feign Death
    /stopcasting
    /stopcasting
    /cast Feign Death
    1. Press this macro
    2. Remove hands off of mouse & keyboard. (Very Important)
    3. Wait for everyone else to die and the Boss to run back.

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer SL1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois.
    Posts
    3,009
    Dismiss your pet before you feign death if it's possible.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremypwnz View Post
    You are the worst kind of person.
    TBH, I meant in a raid group of people who I am familiar with, not a random group of people. Just as many times I'll ss the hunter cuz I know he has a better chance of rezzing, but on the times when I can annoy him and rez the group, then annoy I shall!!

    Unless that was your point haha

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •