Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ukraine's Neo-Fascist Right Sector Leader Dmytro Yarosh to Run for President

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ukraines-ne...sident-1439324

Ukraine's leader of the far-right Pravy Sektor (Right Sector) paramilitary movement Dmytro Yarosh has announced his presidential bid in elections planned for 25 May.

The ultra-nationalist movement's chairman Andriy Tarasenko said that Right Sector will also become a political party.

"Dmytro Yarosh will run for president," he said. "We are preparing for a congress, at which the party will be renamed, and we will participate in the elections in Kyiv, the elections in all local councils, towns and villages."

"We remain the leaders of this revolution. We are mobilising, we are preparing to react to foreign aggression," Tarasenko added, claiming that the movement was ready for a full-scale war with Russia.

A leading figure in the 2014 Ukrainian revolution, Yarosh advocated a "national revolution" during the protests and dismissed ousted Viktor Yanukovich's administration as an "internal occupational regime".

Yarosh, who considers the far-right Svoboda "too liberal", wants to ban both the former ruling party (Party of Regions) and the Communist Party of Ukraine.

Tarasenko distanced the movement from the pro-EU government led by interim president Oleksandr Turchinov.

"There has been no reset of power. Only the names in the government offices have changed," he was quoted as saying.

"Our struggle is entering a peaceful phase, a political phase and that is why we are going into politics," he said.

Russia opened a criminal investigation against Yarosh for incitement to extremism and terrorism.

Right Sector was condemned by the US State Department for "inflaming conditions on the streets".

In an interview with Time magazine, Yarosh revealed that the ultra-nationalist movement had amassed a lethal arsenal of weapons.

The movement's ideology, which rejects any foreign influence over Ukraine, borders on fascism, according to reports.

"For all the years of Ukraine's independence, Russia has pursued a systematic, targeted policy of subjugation toward Ukraine," Yarosh told Time. "So of course we will prepare for a conflict with them."

Does anyone know if these jokers have any serious public support? If so, Russian worries seem too be well-founded.

And you wonder?
    but ofc Russia is bad anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    And...?

So he's running for president. So did Jeff Schoep. Doesn't mean he's getting any meaningful number of votes.

In the previous parliamentary election, the Svboda party mentioned got about 10% of the votes. Comparatively, the Communist party got 13%.

I highly, highly doubt these jokers will find even that much success.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-03-07 at 10:34 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    In a proper democracy, even people you don't like get to run for whatever office they want. Come back if he wins.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Does anyone know if these jokers have any serious public support? If so, Russian worries seem too be well-founded.
    Previously, no, they've had very little support; they're a fringe party. After Russia's invasion into Crimea though?

Could be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    In a proper democracy, even people you don't like get to run for whatever office they want. Come back if he wins.
    This.

I don't understand why people freak out when extremists run for office. If we're going to promote the free exchange of ideas, we have to accept that that means extreme ideas get out there too.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vermin Supreme 2016 and beyond! Zombie power!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Neo-Fascist always sounds way more fun than it really is.

It sounds futuristic.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Neo-Fascist always sounds way more fun than it really is.

It sounds futuristic.
    Just like "science police".
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Just like "science police".
    Ooo! Yes!

in a proper democracy, you can speak out against candidates and their beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    This.

I don't understand why people freak out when extremists run for office. If we're going to promote the free exchange of ideas, we have to accept that that means extreme ideas get out there too.
    don't you realize the irony here...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    in a proper democracy, you can speak out against candidates and their beliefs.
    Sure you can. That doesn't mean that the existence of such a candidate is evidence of something wrong with the whole country.

Sure you can. That doesn't mean that the existence of such a candidate is evidence of something wrong with the whole country.
    "sure you can"

doesn't sound very convincing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    "sure you can"

doesn't sound very convincing
    Huh? I don't even know what you're implying there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    From Wiki:
    "In a poll conducted by the "Socis" research center from February 25 to March 4, 2014, Right Sector's leader Dmytro Yarosh's possible candidacy in the upcoming presidential elections (planned for May 25, 2014) received the support of 1.6% of the people who were surveyed."
    He should get tips from Mugabe, as that would be about 116% in a Zimbabwe election.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    You underestimate Zimbabwean inflation it'd be around 116.000%
    I'm English, so to me that is exactly the same number that I wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I'm English, so to me that is exactly the same number that I wrote.
    lol those crazy mainlanders and their dots instead of commas!

He and his party/group are delusional.

Huh? I don't even know what you're implying there.
    His input in any line of discussion seems to stop making any sense after 2-3 posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?