Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by xytech View Post
    I find everything I don't understand to be awful. I also dislike everything that's not Norwegian from my particular area or English. So I basically find everything but "trøndersk" and English to be very unpleasant. Can't we just get rid of multiple languages already, all hail Britannia.
    English is a sub-par language for some things.

It has its uses. It's the current lingua franca (like French, Latin, and Greek before it). Who knows, in centuries we could all be speaking Mandarin or Arabic or Fijian or something, and English will just be another language on the pile of former widespread languages.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is Dutch bearable if you understand the language?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xytech View Post
    Can't we just get rid of multiple languages already, all hail Britannia.
    While English certainly is the current lingua franca, imo it's not really a nice enough language to replace all others with it. Would be a shame.

Regional dialects and individual speaker variation play a lot into it

My mom speaks Korean with a pretty rough accent, she refers to it as a country accent (she grew up on a farm). But Korean newscasters (tend to speak the Seoul dialect) and the pastor at her church have very smooth, relatively silky accents.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Most pleasant is probably italian or french. Least, I have no idea. German maybe?