10+ Year Old Account

Question Build possibly ready (looking for more opinions)- $600 budget

* Budget: $600 (OS included)

* Resolution: Current monitor is 1280x1024 (plan on getting a newer monitor eventually

* Games/Needs: Will be using the computer for the basics (internet surfing, email, music, videos, maybe a bit more eventually), but I also really want a system that can handle most games that I may want to play. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I do enjoy playing games.

* Any other intensive software or special things you do: Not really (other than the possibility of some very light graphic design eventually, but not 100% sure about that yet), so that's sort of irrelevant at the moment.

* Parts that can be reused: Nothing I can think of that would be worth trying to reuse. I have a couple external hard drives that can obviously be used no matter what. I have my current PC, which I plan on trying to fix up eventually and maybe use as a second computer (or for someone else), and I have another tower sitting around collecting dust, but it's a Dell Dimension 4600 (highly doubt there's anything useful inside there, even if it's not all stock parts).

* Do you need an OS: Yes, that's included in the $600 budget.

* Do you need peripherals: Not really, not with the $600 budget anyway. I do need a new keyboard soon, and plan on getting a newer monitor eventually, but it should do the job for now.

So, I'll apologize ahead of time for the lengthy post..
    I've received a couple build recommendations, and this was the latest (Very different from my first recommended build & I don't think I'm too crazy about it):

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ ($89.99)
    Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 ($64.99)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM ($57.99)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 1GB ($119.99)
    Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower ($39.99)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX ($29.99)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99)
    Total: $602.92

Like I said before, I will be using the computer for mostly normal computing tasks (internet surfing, email, music, videos, etc.), but I also want a system that can handle most games I may want to play, especially if I ever evolve into more of a gamer, as I do really enjoy playing games. I don't have any of the big name games right now (you'd probably laugh at the small collection of games I currently own for the PC), but I keep hearing about this "Steam" (Yes, I live under a rock from time to time ) where I can get pretty good games for cheap prices, so I will most likely be looking into that!

My first recommended build:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.98)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing ($20.62)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 ($60.98)
    Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 ($64.99)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM ($57.99)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 260X 2GB ($109.99)
    Case: Zalman ZM-T1 MicroATX Mini Tower ($27.99)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX ($29.99)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98)
    Total: $596.50

The 2nd - revised build (someone else recommended no cooler, cheaper motherboard, thus adding a better cpu and gpu) (this one I'm strongly considering, even though some people have told me as a first time builder, the mini tower may be very difficult to work with/build in):

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($133.97)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 ($42.99)
    Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 ($64.99)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal ($59.94)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB ($149.99)
    Case: Zalman ZM-T1 MicroATX Mini Tower ($27.99)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX ($29.99)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98)
    Total: $614.83 (was a tad cheaper when first recommended)

Of course I couldn't stop there, I had to keep researching and trying to get as much advice as possible, 'cause hey, it's kind of a big deal. So... then someone else was telling me I should go with a GTX 660 instead of the 750ti, because I could get it for the same price (after mail-in-rebate of course, which I wanted to try and stay away from too much of that) and it's better according to him. The person who recommended the 750ti told me I would notice a difference with the 660, but then I would have to up the power supply to at least a 500w. Then another person said getting the Radeon R7 260X would be a good option somewhat comparable to the more expensive 750ti. Ahhhhhhhh, I'm losing it! lol.

I just don't know what to go with (although I'm feeling pretty confident about the last build that I listed)! I know I'm possibly reading too much into some of the details, but I just wanna' make sure I get what I need and do this right! I don't wanna' be that first-time builder that just goes with whatever they can afford or whatever the first person recommends to them, only to realize that they could have done better by taking their time & asking more questions.

So, if anyone has any suggestions, opinions, anything, I would greatly appreciate it, as I'm very eager to get this stuff ordered and shipped to me so I can start the build already.
    Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing really hard about working with a Micro ATX tower.

I'd go with the 2nd revised build that you have mentioned. It's a decent build. If you have like a 4GB usb stick you don't need to get the optical drive unless you need it for some other stuff. In terms of computer hardware, I'd say a lot of questions is better than minimal ones.

Yea, the bottom build is the best of the bunch. You only need a cooler if you're going to be over clocking, which you won't be. In terms of what video card you want just google a current popular game that you're interested in followed by benchmark.

This is my favorite up to date article for GPU. "Best GPU for the price" http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-3.html Most GPU's will list in the requirements a mininium PSU. Be sure that they're not to long for that mini case.

- - - Updated - - -

Did a bit more research and I really like the bottom build. It'd be hard to find a 500W PSU for only $10 more.
    The Con to this build is that the next time you upgrade the GPU than you're going to be forced to upgrade the PSU also. PSU's are generally carried over to the next build, but with you going with such a small one this time than you won't have that option next time.

If you can find a reliable PSU 500W for $40 than I would switch to the R7 260X

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Nothing really hard about working with a Micro ATX tower.

I'd go with the 2nd revised build that you have mentioned. It's a decent build. If you have like a 4GB usb stick you don't need to get the optical drive unless you need it for some other stuff. In terms of computer hardware, I'd say a lot of questions is better than minimal ones.
    Yeah, I was kinda' thinking I wouldn't have too much trouble with the tower; I'm good with my hands! Oh, I definitely want the CD/DVD drive, because almost all of the pc games I currently own are discs (some which require that I put the CD in when playing unfortunately). I can also see myself buying other software in the future, (e.g., Adobe Suite, etc.) which would be on a CD if bought from a store, and also I might want to still pop in the occasional music CD (especially for copying them onto Itunes to put onto the kiddos Ipod). Maybe there's other ways of doing some of these things without having a CD/DVD drive, but I'm not real up to date on most of it I suppose. I mean, I understand I can purchase music at the ITunes store and add it to the Ipod that way, or going to websites and purchasing the desired software digitally rather than on a CD from a store, but I guess I'm old school and don't understand why someone wouldn't want the optical drive (especially considering how inexpensive they are). I don't know...lol!
    Anyway, thanks for the reply! I think I am going with the 2nd revised one, just a matter of deciding which video card for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    Yea, the bottom build is the best of the bunch. You only need a cooler if you're going to be over clocking, which you won't be. In terms of what video card you want just google a current popular game that you're interested in followed by benchmark.

This is my favorite up to date article for GPU. "Best GPU for the price" Most GPU's will list in the requirements a mininium PSU. Be sure that they're not to long for that mini case.

- - - Updated - - -

Did a bit more research and I really like the bottom build. It'd be hard to find a 500W PSU for only $10 more.
    The Con to this build is that the next time you upgrade the GPU than you're going to be forced to upgrade the PSU also. PSU's are generally carried over to the next build, but with you going with such a small one this time than you won't have that option next time.

If you can find a reliable PSU 500W for $40 than I would switch to the R7 260X

Cool, thanks for the reply, and the research you did as well, I appreciate it. Yeah, I was checking out that article the other day; good read! So, just to make sure I'm following what you're saying: Either I stick with the build the way it is, and in a couple years if I want to purchase a new video card, I will need to purchase a new power supply as well? Or... find a 500w power supply for around $40 and go with the R7 260X (which is only about $10 cheaper than the 750ti I believe), and by going with this option, when I want to buy a newer video card in the future, I would be fine with keeping the said 500w power supply? Does that sound about right?

If the build looks solid the way it is, and will suit my needs of basic computer use and a bit of gaming, then I think I'm fine with knowing I will have to get a new power supply in the future when, and if I decide to get a new video card. In your opinion though, which would you say is better, the R7 260X, or the 750ti? From what I read, it looks like most people are saying it all comes down to whether you prefer AMD or NVidea for a low-to-mid-end card. Which in my case, I really don't care; whatever will work the best for my needs is fine with me, and as long as I don't go over the $600-$615 budget. Also, do you have any thoughts on the GTX 660 that I mentioned in my original post, and the fact that someone said I might as well get that instead of the 750ti because the 660 is about 15% faster and being offered at the same price (after mail-in-rebate) (and again, from what I was told, I would need to get a 500w power supply if I went with the 660) ? Ohhh, decisions, decisions!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, of course...just my luck; the 750ti went up in price from $149 to $160. Sure, maybe 10 bucks isn't a huge deal, but I was reading comments from people saying that even at $149, it was a bit overpriced, so I am hesitant to pay any more than what the price was before. And now I feel like I'm back to square 1 of the video card decision!