Point of blizzard guest pass?

I bought a physical copy of d3 today for a friend.

It had a couple of d3 guest passes and a WoW guest pass

From the looks of it the guest passes for both games offer the same exact things as a starter edition for each game.

Am I missing something?

If I remember well, starter editions weren't a thing back when D3 launched, so I guess it makes perfect sense (Physical copies are leftovers and/or manufacturing process hasn't been updated.)

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Diablo® III Starter Edition provides players the ability to try out a limited version of Diablo III. Guest Pass keys allow a player to give friends the opportunity to play the Starter Edition of Diablo III.

Note: Blizzard Customer Support cannot provide guest passes for Diablo III.

Players on Starter Edition game licenses have the following restrictions:

Cannot progress past the Skeleton King.
    Level 13 cap.
    Matchmaking available only with other Starter Edition players.
    No Auction House access (Real Money or Gold).

So no not really they are the exact same thing another thing about the starter edition that they left out is that you cant configure your chat window
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    I bought a physical copy of d3 today for a friend.

It had a couple of d3 guest passes and a WoW guest pass

From the looks of it the guest passes for both games offer the same exact things as a starter edition for each game.

Am I missing something?
    Yeah. Like the poster above mentioned, they were included at launc when the starter edition didn't exist.

Was their way of getting your friends into the game. So anyone with a guess pass had access to the first 12 levels till the Skeleton King. Then once you were invested in the game and wanted to progress you had to go out and buy the game.

The starter edition came out a little later. They didn't want folks on trial accounts blocking or lagging the servers early on in the games lifecycle.

Gotcha ok guys,

I completely forgot starter edition for d3 didn't come in until then.

I don't even think starter edition for WoW was even in until a little after MoP?

Thanks though for the clear & fast answers.