Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    It really isn't worth repeating, because it's overstated bullshit, and nothing more. What gamer would choose a less efficient choice? What you suggest goes against the core purpose of the game. Might as well not play it.
    Alright, I'll bite. You're saying "What player would choose a less efficient choice?".

If you give people the option to fly on one hand, they say they don't want flying because it ruins immersion, but then they use the flying because it gets them where they want to go faster, they clearly aren't that invested in the notion of not having flying.

The convenience of them having the flying trumps their personal feelings on immersion. So, what's going on here? Are these people asking Blizzard to save them from themselves?

I stand by my statement. If someone is going to push hard for something that has a negative impact on a large number of other players then they'd better stick to their guns and put their money where their mouth is. Demonstrably stop using flying mounts of your own accord or GFTO, I say.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Zell the Malefic View Post
    He starts talking about it at minute six (pretty much on the dot).

Also, the point he makes is this:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    'Is there a world where we have no flying... But people love it?' You know? Like, is that a possibility? I believe it is; I believe it's totally a possibility.
    Take that how you will, but it appears to me that it'll be driven by how players react. I daresay they'll making flying possible in 6.1 if the lack of it is widely enough reviled, but if players in the main don't miss flying then they'll keep it out.

Alas, I worry that a significant sub drop of any kind in 6.0 could prompt the wrong response and we see flying hastily brought back in. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather fly because it seems jarring to be able to fly through Azeroth, Outland, Northrend and Pandaria then... You just can't fly for some reason (which, to me, would be inconvenient).

If the gameplay doesn't suffer because of this, I can support the decision either way. Personally, I'm more worried about profession gathering and, in particular, things like archaeology that ask you to travel a lot. No flying has the potential to be very painful under circumstances such as those.
    This is pretty much spot on, at least as far as I see it. For me, not being able to fly would be fine as long as they are able to somehow not allow that to detract from the gameplay and general "fun"-ness. I worry too, though, about a too-hasty fix in reaction to any sort of major sub loss, and I worry that quite a few will simply feel that something is being stripped away from them without sufficient explanation and leave anyway.

As someone who has gathered for a living for my entire WoW career...well, as you do, so do I have worries about the potential troubles there. I wouldn't sit here and say that no flight, on its own, would make me unsub, but if it affects the overall experience too much or just doesn't feel like it makes sense, it could turn in to a problem.

The timing just seems very odd to me. We've seen the past several years be full of all kinds of new accessibility for all players, and now a major form of travel ease is (seemingly) on the chopping block. Not necessarily a bad thing, but kinda weird.

it was bad enough not being able to fly on Isle of Thunder, Isle of Giants or Timewaste Isle, even worse that you still couldn't/won't be able to fly on them once they're not current content. no flying until 6.1 is an awful idea, no flying at all is a game killer. for flying ability they did it perfectly in WotLK when first character has to get high level (78 if I remember right) but additional characters can fly straight away. that system was perfect
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me...
    read my weirdness!
    or play my Portal 2 chambers! or both!

Quote Originally Posted by Naiomie View Post
    I'm laughing at everyone who's saying they're unsubbing just because you won't be able to fly. Kind of hilarious

I personally love the idea of not being able to fly. The world feels so much bigger and scarier while not being able to fly!
    You do more than sit around in Org/IF or the panda city? WoW you must be the minority, because theres so many people there. I'm fine with the change, why? because its just going to make me more lazy and sit in OR/IF, what ever the new city is and use RDF, RF, or ask for a summon.
    Last edited by Kioshi; 2014-03-09 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I wrote that the incentives to play the game for the experience, and not for the goals, aren't really there any more. Flying mounts have removed some of these incentives. But that isn't to say that ground mounts were an incentive.

More specifically, I mean this: flying mounts encourage efficient gameplay at the cost of immersion - they encourage the player to focus more on the goal, and less on the process of getting to that goal. By this mechanism, an incentive to play the game for the experience - the process - is diminished.

The only thing flying makes "easier" is that it lets you avoid pointless fights with low level mobs that you accidentally aggro and that dismount you if you pull too many. That's not really making it "easier" though, because fighting these mobs was never hard in the first place, it just makes it less annoying. Being dismounted by a bunch of level 86 hozen while riding through the Jade Forest on my 90 is not my idea of "experience" or "immersion". If anything, it's unimmersive how easily I can fight off those mobs, and flying is actually more realistic in terms of "what would my character do if she was smart".

That's only a really minor benefit of flying though, to me anyways. I want to see the world from above, and explore it that way. That's my immersion right there.

I want to point out for the resource excuse. Garrisons is set to possibly cause new waves in the profession market. As nodes are found in garrisons.
    '"Can your blood atone for genocide, orc? Your Horde killed countless innocents with its rampage across Stormwind and Lordaeron. Do you really think you can just sweep all that away and cast aside your guilt so easily? No, your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you."
    - Grand Admiral Proudmoore

They are thinking about this because WoD does not have very much content and the number of removed features outweighs the number of added features.

In short...worst expac ever.

This would be a huge mistake if they do it and would probably halve the buy rate for the xpac. It's not going to happen. Blizzard is smarter than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post
    Compelling argument. It's obviously because a few loud, angry people whinged to Blizzard that they're considering it. Ever stopped to think for more than a second that it might actually be WORTHWHILE to have people on the ground for longer? Sure, you won't get your "OMG BITCHES I CAN FLY, SHIT" moment when you ding 100, but think about all the things that can make up for it. Oh, and it's not just so you can take longer to get around, just as a tip.

Please, angry little people, think about the whole picture before you get your knickers in a twist.
    Yes, I did think for longer than a second about the worth of being on the ground longer at endgame. Nothing particularly enlightening came to mind.

Look, I'm a software developer that works on business applications. My job is to find the most efficient way to solve a problem. I consider a lack of flying to be a backward step and an inconvenience, hence a problem.

My engineer brain processes this whole mess like this:

Game engine capable of flying. Endgame implies all zones have been experienced and enjoyed from the ground. Playtime limited. Flying restriction: Arbitrary. Travel times increased equals inconvenience with no material gain. Easiest solution: Removal of arbitrary restriction. Problem solved. Travel time decreased, limited playtime more usefully spent. Enjoyment had.

Stood in the Fire
    Yay, another reason to not care. At least we know blizz is in full pandering mode now. Only a little time left until you get everything you wanted so long as you shouted loud enough, unless you dont like orcs, then ur housed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    This would be a huge mistake if they do it and would probably halve the buy rate for the xpac. It's not going to happen. Blizzard is smarter than that.
    They will test it out until they find out its another mistake like making heroics hard in CATA, and change it back, and then all the elites will complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Yes, I did think for longer than a second about the worth of being on the ground longer at endgame. Nothing particularly enlightening came to mind.

Look, I'm a software developer that works on business applications. My job is to find the most efficient way to solve a problem. I consider a lack of flying to be a backward step and an inconvenience, hence a problem.

My engineer brain processes this whole mess like this:

Game engine capable of flying. Endgame implies all zones have been experienced and enjoyed from the ground. Playtime limited. Flying restriction: Arbitrary. Travel times increased equals inconvenience with no material gain. Easiest solution: Removal of arbitrary restriction. Problem solved. Travel time decreased, limited playtime more usefully spent. Enjoyment had.
    I personally think he only people who hates flying mounts are the PvPers, I think instead of getting rid of them blizzard should be thinking of adding Mounted Combat instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    They are thinking about this because WoD does not have very much content and the number of removed features outweighs the number of added features.

In short...worst expac ever.
    Dude, where the hell did you get your time machine from?! I need one, NOW!

Stood in the Fire
    Meh, already strongly considering opting out of WoD since they are not letting me defend my server first

I welcome no flying so long as there are large areas I can run around, unlike timeless isle (although I do like timeless isle for what it is).

Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post
    It's not just about the initial "exploring the world for the first time". It's about the "living world". The sense of constant danger, exacerbated greatly by PvP servers, obviously. The ability for Blizzard to greatly increase compelling world situations/scenarios without players just flying happily past any time they sense danger, or skipping straight to the end.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with leveling.

So immersion equals danger, to you? It doesn't for me. I don't play on a PVP server, and I never will. If you want, make flying impossible on PVP servers, and see how that sticks.

Besides, leveling mobs are not dangerous for a max level character anyways. They're a nuissance.

I'd LOVE for Blizzard to add compelling world situations and scenarios. I play GW2 which has an amazing dynamic events system, I'd love WoW to have something similar to that. But the way to do it is not to be like "oy, this is dangerous", it's to offer incentive. Compelling story, compelling gameplay, compelling rewards. If you fly over a zone and you see a dynamic event down there, you should want to fly down and do it because it's gonna be fun, or because you want the rewards. That's my idea of immersive dynamic gameplay. Not "I wanna ride through this forest to get to place X but damn low level monkeys keep attacking and dismounting me, FFS".

Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    I welcome no flying so long as there are large areas I can run around, unlike timeless isle (although I do like timeless isle for what it is).
    Land your flying mount. Enjoy vast swathes of running around. No inconvenience to other players necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    I don't mind timeless island... well except that Mobs that can charge you over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Land your flying mount. Enjoy vast swathes of running around. No inconvenience to other players necessary.
    Those people you talk about believe everyone should be like them and forcing everyone instead of giving everyone freedom is how thing should be.

He is merely talking about not having flying at the beginning and that it will be possible for people to enjoy the world that way despite what some whiners are saying in the forums. Nowhere is there any hint of not having flying come in with the first patch as has already been stated to be the case.

seriously how easy do yo uwant wow to get i dnt get people who whine about this, the only bad thing i see about it is on pvp servers where there will be ganking but even t the start zone there wont be alot of ganking.

@the whiners you moan that you cant fly in wod boo fucking hoo in classic wow you had to walk til level 40 and level 40 mounts and they costed 100g and at level 60 1000g for epic riding and remember this is classic wow so 100g was alot of fucking gold back then so if your gonan unsub cos of this good cos i dnt wanna meet your whiney ass cross server if your gonna quit dnt tell us just get it done we wont miss u neither will blizz

If they remove flying in this xpac, that will be just amazing...

It's like blizzard is trying to right all the wrongs over the last several years in one xpac.. good luck bliz, try and bring back the good old days.