1. #3201
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    "how do I scale that mountain" instead of "*mount* flap flap flap flap flap"
    "Wonder what's there, and how to get there..." instead of "*mount* flap flap flap flap flap"
    Some areas in the game can't be explored with out flying.

  2. #3202
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    Some areas in the game can't be explored with out flying.
    Funny enough, none of those areas exist in dungeons/raids/scenarios or BGs.

    I'm still going to say if flying mounts are so required for the game to function, then why have they not been added to dungeons/raids/scenarios/BGs?

  3. #3203
    Dreadlord Panzerchrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The land of ice and snow.
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    Some areas in the game can't be explored with out flying.
    just flying there is hardly "exploring"

  4. #3204
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    just flying there is hardly "exploring"
    How is it not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    ... because it won't be fun when someone chooses to move over 200% faster than me and kills the rare before I can get there in WoD?
    So now we're describing scenarios where we're constantly in a race with someone else? I'm not buying it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    I'm still going to say if flying mounts are so required for the game to function, then why have they not been added to dungeons/raids/scenarios/BGs?
    Instanced areas are a completely different beast.

  5. #3205
    Dreadlord Panzerchrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The land of ice and snow.
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    How is it not?


    It's as much exploring as watching a nature document is.

  6. #3206
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    So now we're describing scenarios where we're constantly in a race with someone else? I'm not buying it.
    It would be a very real scenario right now on Timeless Isle if flying was allowed there.

    Instanced areas are a completely different beast.
    Why? If flying mounts are so required for travel in the open world, then why are they suddenly unimportant in dungeons/raids/scenarios/BGs?
    Last edited by Raeln; 2014-03-17 at 04:56 PM.

  7. #3207
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    It would be a very real scenario right now on Timeless Isle if flying was allowed there.
    Setting aside the issues I have with TI, that place is a small island. Not comparable to an entire continent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    Why? If flying mounts are so required for convenience in the open world, then why are they suddenly unimportant in dungeons/raids/scenarios/BGs?
    Instanced zones have different philosophy with objectives being gated by trash.

  8. #3208
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    just flying there is hardly "exploring"
    Just because it follows the Z axis on top of X and Y doesn't make it any less exploring. There's a bunch of things that can be found with flying mounts which can't be found with ground.

  9. #3209
    Dreadlord Panzerchrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The land of ice and snow.
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by BlizzardApologist View Post
    Just because it follows the Z axis on top of X and Y doesn't make it any less exploring. There's a bunch of things that can be found with flying mounts which can't be found with ground.
    See my last post.

  10. #3210
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    See my last post.
    That's not an argument it's just a bad analogy.

  11. #3211
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    Setting aside the issues I have with TI, that place is a small island. Not comparable to an entire continent.
    Nonetheless, Blizzard has already alluded to Timeless Isle mechanics, rares, events being strung all throughout WoD.

    Flying mounts would be quite an advantage in reaching those events over ground mounts.

    Instanced zones have different philosophy with objectives being gated by trash.
    Not really. Every single argument that has been made for and against flying mounts in the open world could apply to instanced zones. The content could be made to support flying mounts in that they could act in a similar way to stealth groups. The content could also be made to net flying players to the ground or even have air battles. Weather could be implemented or even traps.

    I have been left to wonder just why we neglect some of the tools in our bag (like flying mounts) when we approach some of these instanced zones - specifically SoO. I have flown into Orgrimmar thousands of times, yet just because I join an SoO raid, suddenly my flight license is revoked? Suddenly I am to assume that there is some large air guard preventing me from flying in to the pathetically guarded Orgimmar?

    Sorry, but if flying mounts are good for the open world - well, they should be designed around (the good and bad) everywhere else.

  12. #3212
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    56
    Flying from point to point is boring, i fail to see why you would stop playing just because of that. On ground mount's you actually need to explore not just fly to the town you need than to the quest you need skipping everything on the way. But than again maybe it's people like you that are complaining about everything that's the least bit difficult in WoW these days.

  13. #3213
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    You still don't need to fly back and forth the whole continent all the time.
    That would certainly depend on what you were doing.

    I see this trend emerging with one group telling another group how to enjoy the game and it never ends well.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    Nonetheless, Blizzard has already alluded to Timeless Isle mechanics, rares, events being strung all throughout WoD.
    And I sincerely hope the 'events' in WoD are more compelling than any of the crap they gave us on TI.

  14. #3214
    Warchief Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Enchanted Forest near the city of Keldor
    Posts
    2,034
    I would personally love this, as flying mounts did kind of ruin the size and scape of WoW to begin with, I was one of the few people at the time who didn't want flying mounts in game before they were announced.

    There was more of a reason to explore rather than hoping on a flying mount and flying there which while convenient, sucked the life out of what was one of the main things about what MMO's should be.

    Personally I would love it, if blizzard didn't make flying mounts so needed in other zones and expansions I would say get rid of them alt together.

    But alas the nerd rage on this forum will reach critical levels... and I am being very selfish so meh
    Last edited by Orby; 2014-03-17 at 05:15 PM.
    Long Live Dizzy - May his boxing gloves never shrink in the wash

  15. #3215
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    You still don't need to fly back and forth the whole continent all the time.
    To be more specific..., crossing a continent I usually go afk on a fp. If crossing a zone then I manually fly there. Crossing zones on the ground is going to lose its novelty after most people reach 100 I believe.

  16. #3216
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    Nonetheless, Blizzard has already alluded to Timeless Isle mechanics, rares, events being strung all throughout WoD.

    Flying mounts would be quite an advantage in reaching those events over ground mounts.



    Not really. Every single argument that has been made for and against flying mounts in the open world could apply to instanced zones. The content could be made to support flying mounts in that they could act in a similar way to stealth groups. The content could also be made to net flying players to the ground or even have air battles. Weather could be implemented or even traps.

    I have been left to wonder just why we neglect some of the tools in our bag (like flying mounts) when we approach some of these instanced zones - specifically SoO. I have flown into Orgrimmar thousands of times, yet just because I join an SoO raid, suddenly my flight license is revoked? Suddenly I am to assume that there is some large air guard preventing me from flying in to the pathetically guarded Orgimmar?

    Sorry, but if flying mounts are good for the open world - well, they should be designed around (the good and bad) everywhere else.

    Kinda hard to design a raid where you can skip trash and bosses wouldn't you say?

  17. #3217
    Legendary! Luko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Danger Zone
    Posts
    6,162
    This "forced exploration" approach some of you are using is sincerely creeping me the fuck out.

    If someone wants to explore, they'll explore. In game. Right now. With or without flying. What some of you weirdos are proposing is a forced perspective. "Explore my way or not at all!"

    I have zero problem with no flying mounts. I'll still get from point A to point B and I'm not in any sort of rush, but the "even playing ground" vibe in this thread is petty and a little scary.
    Listen kiddos, trust Handsome Jack. You want every part of this insanity.
    So many people are gonna die.

    Formerly Ryngo Blackratchet

  18. #3218
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc2001 View Post
    Flying from point to point is boring, i fail to see why you would stop playing just because of that. On ground mount's you actually need to explore not just fly to the town you need than to the quest you need skipping everything on the way. But than again maybe it's people like you that are complaining about everything that's the least bit difficult in WoW these days.
    Nothing difficult about ground travel through valley of four winds. Just incredibly boring.

  19. #3219
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc2001 View Post
    Flying from point to point is boring, i fail to see why you would stop playing just because of that. On ground mount's you actually need to explore not just fly to the town you need than to the quest you need skipping everything on the way. But than again maybe it's people like you that are complaining about everything that's the least bit difficult in WoW these days.
    I like exploring on my flying mount. If I'm restricted to ground I don't do any exploring at all because I think it sucks ass and I can spend my time better. It's a matter of perspective, the difference is that you who like ground mounts can explore that way today. What you're proposing is that your way is the better way and should also be the only way, those of us who think differently should just go fuck ourselves apparently.

  20. #3220
    People talk so much about nostalgia, so blizzard is trying to bring that old feeling back?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •