Quote Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
    lol yeah. but if anyone here has played FF14 ARR they will soon realise flying wont make much difference in that game with the way the areas are designed, the whole world is gated between areas with loading times between areas though it is minimal you cant just fly everywhere
    This is because of cross platform design. Also this is only only for the new area of the expansion. If reception is well received they plan on expanding flying mounts into new future areas...polar opposite of Blizz devs design ideas.

6.2 is going to be a big litmus test for the future of flight. Better or worse.

Meh, City of Heroes and Champions Online have the same structure and I don't really feel restricted by it. although this is mainly because they're not trying to be a "world" and as such can have satisfyingly large to-scale city districts in lieu of thematically stark regions across a deceptively tiny land-mass, as WoW's continents are. Also those games had/have flying combat and CO even has mounted combat in outdoor areas.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    No flying isn't too bad actually. Yes it's troublesome to navigate through mountains and terrain, but it's nice to run into people along the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quim View Post
    No flying isn't too bad actually. Yes it's troublesome to navigate through mountains and terrain, but it's nice to run into people along the way.
    Personally, i don't mind the no flying, but god damn this continent is crap as far as hills and mountains are concerned. At least on previous xpacs the zones were more opened and flat.

Remember Hellfire Peninsula? It was basically the area surrounding the Throne of KJ that was mountains and the rest was either flat or canyons that had easy access. Or any other outland zone for that matter.

Draenor SMV is beatifull, but holy hell, f*** off with all the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Personally, i don't mind the no flying, but god damn this continent is crap as far as hills and mountains are concerned. At least on previous xpacs the zones were more opened and flat.

Remember Hellfire Peninsula? It was basically the area surrounding the Throne of KJ that was mountains and the rest was either flat or canyons that had easy access. Or any other outland zone for that matter.i

Draenor SMV is beatifull, but holy hell, f*** off with all the hills.
    Why do you prefer "open and flat"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    Because that's how i recall most zones when i used my ground mount. Were there more enclosed and mountainous areas in the "old" continents/areas? Yep, but they weren't remarkbly inaccessible as Draenor zones are. It's like all of them are full of straight edge hills with only one way up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Because that's how i recall most zones when i used my ground mount. Were there more enclosed and mountainous areas in the "old" continents/areas? Yep, but they weren't remarkbly inaccessible as Draenor zones are. It's like all of them are full of straight edge hills with only one way up.
    They intentionally made most zones with mazes to spin you around, confuse you, and force you to backtrack for miles just to get to something you could have flown 20 feet to. Artificial gating, and it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by -Walter- View Post
    They intentionally made most zones with mazes to spin you around, confuse you, and force you to backtrack for miles just to get to something you could have flown 20 feet to. Artificial gating, and it sucks.
    I still find it hard to believe they made the terrain so difficult to navigate and disabled flying...just for jumping puzzles...that blows my mind because the majority of the WoW player's don't even known WoD even has puzzles to do lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    I still find it hard to believe they made the terrain so difficult to navigate and disabled flying...just for jumping puzzles...that blows my mind because the majority of the WoW player's don't even known WoD even has puzzles to do lol.
    I know I said it like twenty times already, but just once more (just once, I promise):

They didn't disable flying in order to do new things, it's not like they wanted to do something great and flying held them hostage trivializing or whatever everything right at the concept stage. They disabled flying because some idiot on the team thought it'd give a new spin to *existing* things. They thought we weren't appreciating what they were already doing enough and that flying was harming our ability to appreciate it enough. That's it.

Do NOT expect any new tech due to no flying. Flying was never an obstacle to that.

Bashiok is a CM, he doesn't even know *when* he is lying, and his blue posts aren't worth the electricity spent on transmitting them over the Internet.
    Last edited by rda; 2015-03-09 at 12:04 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Most of this stuff is completely and absolutely unrelated to the jumping puzzles though. It's the world mostly being build in a way to ensure that you will need a maximum of time to traverse it. Sure your goal is about 5 metres to your left, but you have this entire mountain ridge between you and your goal so you will have to walk all around it just to reach it and that happens over and over and over again.

It's pure and undiluted timesink for the sake of having timesink and nothing else. As other people already pointed out in other threads unrelated to flying. Somewhere something seems to have gone horrible wrong, things got cut, design directions appear to have changed and are pretty much all over the place. So they had to basically make do with whatever they still had and try and milk it for what it's worth.

This has absolutely nothing to do with going new ways, enriching the game world, their claims of an more immersive/interactive/dangerous world (which they dropped long ago) it's them trying to make do with the little content there is by artificially gating it. Just look at the Garrison Campaign and how it suddenly became a weekly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    Just how I like my women.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just noticed why this thread is still active, it's the same people repeating stuff over and over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Just noticed why this thread is still active, it's the same people repeating stuff over and over.
    Thank you for this incredible insight into the lack of flight on Draenor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for this incredible insight into the lack of flight on Draenor.
    You're welcome Bert.

Anyway some points.

1. They want to make the world more alive with no flying.
    2. They don't want flying until the whole continent is available (although I doubt we'll be able to fly in Tanaan Jungle).
    3. They are behind schedule and have more important stuff to get out.
    4. I believe they got good feedback with the Timeless Isle (not from me).

I prefer no flying, but I don't really care if they let us fly or not.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2015-03-09 at 12:26 PM.

You're so full of shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    People got confused in Draenor?

Anyway some points.

1. They want to make the world more alive with no flying.
    2. They don't want flying until the whole continent is available.
    3. They are behind schedule and have more important stuff to get out.
    1. If they wanted that, they failed horribly. MoP had many more people out in the world than WoD. Guess why? Because there was something to do.
    2. Not seeing the logic.
    3. Not the case - enabling flying takes a couple minutes of a single dev time, it's just flipping a switch.

Sum total: ROFL

10+ Year Old Account
    People got confused in Draenor?
    In Spires and Nagrand, just when you think you are headed in the right direction, you find out the path you should have taken is a half mile back, and it twists through mountain passes and forces you to hop from mass to mass to reach your target. With flight, there was no confusion. Lift off, find target, land. This hiking through the hills with sandals and granola is horseshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know you're pro flying, but what you just said should not constitute, in itself, an argument for it.

Blizzard could've just made terrain in the fashion of previous xpacs. Kinda like the hill passages that you can use to go from the west side of Everbloom to the east. Then again, Gorgrond is a special case, the hills aren't so rugged or straight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    3. Not the case - enabling flying takes a couple minutes of a single dev time, it's just flipping a switch.
    It isn't actually, they need to have all the zones completely finished from top to bottom. The old Azeroth had lots of dead space, until you can fly around Draenor, we don't know what dead space there is.