1. #5141
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    In Draenor, a place specifically designed without flying mounts? No I haven't.
    Why would the devs make the flight paths in Draenor more efficient than the rest of the game? More precisely do they have the time to revamp the flight paths for the entire game?

  2. #5142
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Why would the devs make the flight paths in Draenor more efficient than the rest of the game? More precisely do they have the time to revamp the flight paths for the entire game?
    Because flight paths and portals will replace flying mounts for long distance trips. They've already said you'll get to most places as fast if not faster than now, the removal of flying mounts is focused on making short distances (exploration and questing) meaningful, not making everything unconvenient.

    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I've been trying to say this, but if it takes you 10-30 min to get from one part of Draenor to another, we screwed up.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Honestly we've neglected flight paths a bit post-BC. We won't make that mistake in Draenor.
    Source
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2014-03-30 at 10:27 PM.
    English is not my first language, feel free to correct any mistake I may make.

  3. #5143
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Because flight paths and portals will replace flying mounts for long distance trips. They've already said you'll get to most places as fast if not faster than now, the removal of flying mounts is focused on making short distances (exploration and questing) meaningful, not making everything unconvenient.
    Blizzquotes aside, there's nothing said about "portals".
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  4. #5144
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Blizzquotes aside, there's nothing said about "portals".
    Yeah, it's a guess of mine. Your garrison having a portal to your faction's city and 'instant' flight paths for the longest distances are what I mean with that. Purely speculative, but logical.
    English is not my first language, feel free to correct any mistake I may make.

  5. #5145
    Sounds like developers already made up their minds not alowing flying the entire wod expansion.
    If that were the case, we'd say so. Our plan is no Draenor flying in 6.0 and player feedback is important to us. (WatcherDev)
    So basically:

    1 - They initially decided no flying for 6.0 and thought they'll bring it back in 6.1 as the epic quest chain (as was quoted in previous blue tweets)
    2 - They saw how much positive feedback there was for the change, and decided to see if they can delay it even further.
    3 - All future and current tweets now 'neither confirm nor deny' whether no-flying will be extended for longer, or possibly even the full expansion, citing player feedback and opinion.

    Great news.

  6. #5146
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    So basically:

    1 - They initially decided no flying for 6.0 and thought they'll bring it back in 6.1 as the epic quest chain (as was quoted in previous blue tweets)
    2 - They saw how much positive feedback there was for the change, and decided to see if they can delay it even further.
    3 - All future and current tweets now 'neither confirm nor deny' whether no-flying will be extended for longer, or possibly even the full expansion, citing player feedback and opinion.

    Great news.
    Except it's exactly what happened with Cataclysm. They're listening to a vocal minority of players that just have a hard-on for nostalgia and rose-tinted goggles and they're ignoring the majority of the player base and it'll come back and bite them in the ass when players leave in droves and they have to flip a switch to turn it on before 6.1 and then the players that are mad that they caved end up leaving in droves they've literally set themselves up for a no win situation instead of just putting it in at level cap like common sense dictates.

  7. #5147
    They saw how much positive feedback there was for the change
    Where the fuck did the get the feedback from? Because I didn't see a poll thingy popping up in-game asking about flying, and they've said multiple times that they don't design the game based on forum posting. So, where the fuck is that feedback coming from?

    Here's the answer: there was no feedback, it's a totally pragmatic decision, to make the boring obsolete content "last longer", even if it's annoying and tedious. They base their decision on the belief that the WoW population can't make the difference between actual content and running around. We'll just have to wait and see if that's true, my belief is that even the most ardent defender of the no flying crap will rage pretty quickly after release and long before patch 6.1, simply because the no flying crap will not bring the people out in the world, to involve them in epic world PvP battles or whatever the fuck some people dream

    Also, regarding the flight paths, and the stupid argument "WoD is designed with no flying in mind" lol... Even if they make the flight paths faster and non retarded, it's still AFK TIME. It doesn't matter to me that the new flight path is only taking 4 minutes instead of 5 minutes. It's still 4 minutes of doing nothing. And let's talk about the retarded "parachute" argument, that doesn't help me either. Currently if I go somewhere and I change my mind, or someone asks me to go somewhere, I just change the direction. Now if there's not flying, but we have the new awesome flight path with parachuting, I'll have to parachute, probably in the middle of some shit zone infested with obsolete mobs I don't give a fuck about, ride to the first flight master, hoping there's no fucking ganker along the way. In the mean time, the people that are waiting for me get bored and say "it's OK, we got another dude, can't wait for hours for you to sort out the traveling shit"

  8. #5148
    Attention anyone still coming into this thread after 261 pages of QQ over something as trivial as no flying in Draenor for one patch:

    Quit.

    Quit the game and never come back.

    And for the love of god stop posting about it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Except it's exactly what happened with Cataclysm. They're listening to a vocal minority of players that just have a hard-on for nostalgia and rose-tinted goggles and they're ignoring the majority of the player base and it'll come back and bite them in the ass when players leave in droves and they have to flip a switch to turn it on before 6.1 and then the players that are mad that they caved end up leaving in droves they've literally set themselves up for a no win situation instead of just putting it in at level cap like common sense dictates.
    Nobody listens to TBC hipsters.

    They're doing this in order to make Draenor into a max level content zone like TI and IoT, for that to work they need to disable flying while it's relevant. Also it's kind of an experiment for them to see how it works out. End of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  9. #5149
    Legendary! Callace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ivory Tower
    Posts
    6,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    They're doing this in order to make Draenor into a max level content zone like TI and IoT
    In theory that sounds dandy, if that's your thing. In practice, I don't think it will mean what you think it does.
    Last edited by Callace; 2014-03-31 at 06:29 AM. Reason: typo

  10. #5150
    The Patient Neyara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somewhere. Reading.
    Posts
    236
    I find it difficult to believe that people would be so greatly upset about no flying until 6.1 so much that they would rather quit the game.
    Surely this must just be the last thing in a long line to cause dissatfisaction to those going in this direction of quitting the game?

    I still do not care whether it will be no flying until 6.1 but then again I do not belive it would matter to me if was cut out of the new content entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    MMO-C is the depressing retirement home of world of warcraft. This is where all the old and retired players come to die.

  11. #5151
    Legendary! Callace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ivory Tower
    Posts
    6,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Niinjax View Post
    I find it difficult to believe that people would be so greatly upset about no flying until 6.1 so much that they would rather quit the game.
    Not so much an upsetting stimulus as a lack of stimulus to elicit further play.

    i.e. It won't feel the same and people will get bored much faster.
    Last edited by Callace; 2014-03-31 at 06:48 AM.

  12. #5152
    Quote Originally Posted by Niinjax View Post
    I find it difficult to believe that people would be so greatly upset about no flying until 6.1 so much that they would rather quit the game.
    Surely this must just be the last thing in a long line to cause dissatfisaction to those going in this direction of quitting the game?

    I still do not care whether it will be no flying until 6.1 but then again I do not belive it would matter to me if was cut out of the new content entirely.
    Straw that broke the camels back. It's a lot of other things leading up to this but I can guarantee that for a decent chunk of players not being able to fly is going to be a much bigger deal breaker than MMO-Champ would you lead to believe.

  13. #5153
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Attention anyone still coming into this thread after 261 pages of QQ over something as trivial as no flying in Draenor for one patch:

    Quit.

    Quit the game and never come back.

    And for the love of god stop posting about it.
    It's not you, dipshit, the one to tell people what to do, stop living in a dream in which you are important and wise

  14. #5154
    I anticipate regular drama with 250+ people stacking on the flight NPC, half of them on their no-longer flying giant dragoon, raging as they are desperately trying to target it.

  15. #5155
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Attention anyone still coming into this thread after 261 pages of QQ over something as trivial as no flying in Draenor for one patch:

    Quit.

    Quit the game and never come back.

    And for the love of god stop posting about it.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Nobody listens to TBC hipsters.

    They're doing this in order to make Draenor into a max level content zone like TI and IoT, for that to work they need to disable flying while it's relevant. Also it's kind of an experiment for them to see how it works out. End of.
    Why get so worked up and aggressive?

    I think blizzard will find that this experiment will not be as good as they are thinking. Also if no one listened to TBC hipsters then clearly Catas harder heroics would never have happened.

  16. #5156
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyjaljerk View Post
    I anticipate regular drama with 250+ people stacking on the flight NPC, half of them on their no-longer flying giant dragoon, raging as they are desperately trying to target it.
    Blame the tauren/draenei on a proto

  17. #5157
    The Patient Neyara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somewhere. Reading.
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyjaljerk View Post
    I anticipate regular drama with 250+ people stacking on the flight NPC, half of them on their no-longer flying giant dragoon, raging as they are desperately trying to target it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    Blame the tauren/draenei on a proto
    Use zoom function of the camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    MMO-C is the depressing retirement home of world of warcraft. This is where all the old and retired players come to die.

  18. #5158
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Where the fuck did the get the feedback from? Because I didn't see a poll thingy popping up in-game asking about flying, and they've said multiple times that they don't design the game based on forum posting. So, where the fuck is that feedback coming from?

    Here's the answer: there was no feedback, it's a totally pragmatic decision, to make the boring obsolete content "last longer", even if it's annoying and tedious. They base their decision on the belief that the WoW population can't make the difference between actual content and running around. We'll just have to wait and see if that's true, my belief is that even the most ardent defender of the no flying crap will rage pretty quickly after release and long before patch 6.1, simply because the no flying crap will not bring the people out in the world, to involve them in epic world PvP battles or whatever the fuck some people dream

    Also, regarding the flight paths, and the stupid argument "WoD is designed with no flying in mind" lol... Even if they make the flight paths faster and non retarded, it's still AFK TIME. It doesn't matter to me that the new flight path is only taking 4 minutes instead of 5 minutes. It's still 4 minutes of doing nothing. And let's talk about the retarded "parachute" argument, that doesn't help me either. Currently if I go somewhere and I change my mind, or someone asks me to go somewhere, I just change the direction. Now if there's not flying, but we have the new awesome flight path with parachuting, I'll have to parachute, probably in the middle of some shit zone infested with obsolete mobs I don't give a fuck about, ride to the first flight master, hoping there's no fucking ganker along the way. In the mean time, the people that are waiting for me get bored and say "it's OK, we got another dude, can't wait for hours for you to sort out the traveling shit"
    TIL if you throw in a load of angry curse words it makes your rhetoric sound like a real argument.

    They are designing the content around no flying. In the fashion of timeless isle. That's how it's designed to be played. There's really nothing more to say on the topic. Unless you believe that they should let you fly in content that is designed to be played without the luxury of flying. You might as well argue that you should get flying in all games in order for them to be fair.
    Originally Posted by Tigole
    I'm not so sure endgame players would like the face of the game if everyone had instant access to all of the content. There is something to be said for progression and the sense of accomplishment. Don't get me wrong, we have to be careful not to create a brick wall for new people, but I think there is a balance to be struck here.

  19. #5159
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Attention anyone still coming into this thread after 261 pages of QQ over something as trivial as no flying in Draenor for one patch:

    Quit.

    Quit the game and never come back.

    And for the love of god stop posting about it.
    Attention: Anyone who comes into a thread and gives orders like they matter some how...

    Get over yourself. You are not a mod, and people are free to post how they see fit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Niinjax View Post
    I find it difficult to believe that people would be so greatly upset about no flying until 6.1 so much that they would rather quit the game.
    Surely this must just be the last thing in a long line to cause dissatfisaction to those going in this direction of quitting the game?

    I still do not care whether it will be no flying until 6.1 but then again I do not belive it would matter to me if was cut out of the new content entirely.
    After so many years, people are tired of hearing one thing from Blizz, and getting another. We are tired of having conveniences removed from the game. Have Group, Will Travel... instant flight paths... and more. No flying at the START of an expansion is old hat, and really doesn't bother us. No flying through an entire expansion is really just an insult. We buy the Expac for the content. So far, we hear we are getting:

    1) The clean version of Outlands
    2) Possibly no flying at all in Draenor
    3) New models may not be ready at launch, and they are unsure WHEN they will be

    and the list continues to grow. How much more do we have to LOSE and have removed from this game before enough is enough? For those of us who pre-ordered the CE for the mount and the pet, we can at least justify $30 of the $69. But justifying the other $39 grows more and more difficult each time they announce the launch MINUS another feature.

  20. #5160
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    I think blizzard will find that this experiment will not be as good as they are thinking. Also if no one listened to TBC hipsters then clearly Catas harder heroics would never have happened.
    Why are you so certain Blizzard listened to "TBC hipsters" regarding Cata heroics? Isn't it possible that Blizzard makes design decisions based on what they feel the game needs?

    Nobody knows how this experiment is going to work out. It depends on how its implemented, because as Cata heroics demonstrated even a good idea can have bad results if implemented poorly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •