Quote Originally Posted by gestapo View Post
    Good point. They should disable both flying and flight paths until 6.1
    That would be good for the game.
    I can't think of a game that doesn't have a form of "quick travel" and is also an open world game. I don't think there's a single MMORPG in my library that doesn't have flying or travel points (be they flying, teleporting or whatever).
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    When I fly places I am being active in the game. Being active in the game = doing anything in the game. Whether it is flying from A to B, or hovering and chatting. I am doing something.

Me being on the ground is no more active than me being in the air.
    In the air you are effectively a non active player. The world cannot interact with you nor you with it.

You are far more active on the ground, because all game activities take place on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The increase in subs in TBC was exclusively because of flying.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    Assuming you are going to a zone for a reason it will massively increase interaction with other players. It will be up to Blizzard to give you a reason to go there. It will be more immersive because you will interacting in said zone on the ground in an active state for a greater period of time.

Contrast that will flying there, drop down pick up what ever, bugger off.
    You are not immersed with anything on a flight taxi. I will use flight taxi to travel since personal flying mounts are being withheld from WoD.

During which time, you are out in the world interacting with it and hopefully other players. All interact takes place on the ground.
    Sadly I can't interact with the world when stuck on a flight taxi. If I had been on my personal flying mount I can swoop down and interact with the world.

Do you get it now?

You would be happier in a single player game. You want the world to revolve around you.
    I Would be happier in a SRPG. Unfortunately almost every major title and even numerous smaller ones in the RPG genre are switching away from creating SRPGs and instead making MMORPGs. ESO, Nevewinter, SWTOR, Final Fantasy, even WoW (originally an SRTS), shit even Sim City went MMO! BioWare/EA is considering it for Mass Effect and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do the same for Dragon Age after Inquisition. The list of previously solo game series turned MMO grows longer ever year. The only genre that remains largely solo are FPS and I hate those. To get my fantasy RPG fix, I'm forced into the MMO genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon is the Answer View Post
    We ALL think the game revolves around US and OUR way of playing. The anti-fliers are just as entitled as the pro-fliers.
    Again, single player games are what you are looking for. MMO's are all about interaction with the world and other players.

The game dosen't stop when you go off line much though you'd like it to.

Ok fair enough. You think that's engaging game play. I don't think many people will agree with you but hey enjoy yourself floating in mid air waiting for someone to " flip you off".

Unless ofcourse you do other things as well? you do don't you??!?
    Enjoy yourself riding on the ground as gamers ignore you there just as they will in the sky.

You seem to think the ground was some amazing interactive story with every gamers chit-chatting and doing things together.

It has never been that way and never will be. It was not that way since beta vanilla to current MoP and TI. Removing flying will not change that and taking TI into consideration the only time gamers really did interact was to kill something together which flying didn't screw up. If anything, I would have been there to help sooner.

Removing flying is not some great gaming miracle and it will not create this interaction you are dreaming of nor some immersion level you seem to think will happen.

Again, single player games are what you are looking for. MMO's are all about interaction with the world and other players.

Incorrect. MMos are about the possibility of interaction in a world that does not stop just because you left it.. Not forced interaction.

The game you want is not an MMORPG.
    Last edited by quras; 2014-06-18 at 08:27 PM.

In the air you are effectively a non active player. The world cannot interact with you nor you with it.

You are far more active on the ground, because all game activities take place on the ground.
    When in the air on a flight taxi, yes you are effectively a not active player. On a flying mount you can be an active player anytime you want.

How do you not understand this?

Probably in spite of. Path of the Titans was ready to patch in, and they walked away from it. As for Dance Studio, I think people will give up on that... someday.

- - - Updated - - -

Good for you mate. Now, when you hit 54 characters spanned over 7 realms, and have been doing alts non stop for 8 years, please come back and share this sentiment again
    That's really your choice at the end of the day, and shouldn't factor in to Blizzards development process. Sure there are plenty of people out there who have played the game through multiple times, and it would absolutely convenience them to be able to face roll fly everywhere, but for the casual explorer, not being able to fly is better for them in the long run. The devs have stated several times they regret flying in the first place, since everyone now gets flying asap and skips all the beautiful content they spent so long working on.

Just stick with it like it used to be, no flying until you've completed the content at least once. I wouldn't argue with that. But if they never allow flying in Draenor, I wouldn't mind.

Again you have selective reading. Many parts of the game are for solo activity, pet battles, archaeology, ore, herbs, skinning, exploring, pet collecting, dailies. fishing and so on. Blizzard created these single player aspects of the game, should we delete these too?

Quote Originally Posted by Nayaga View Post
    You are not immersed with anything on a flight taxi. I will use flight taxi to travel since personal flying mounts are being withheld from WoD.

Sadly I can't interact with the world when stuck on a flight taxi. If I had been on my personal flying mount I can swoop down and interact with the world.

Do you get it now?
    You keep bringing up taxi flights. They only exist to allow you to cover large distances and are under control of the game makers.

You can still interact with the world, you 'll just have to interact with it for longer.

You are making valid points, I understand what you are saying, but the problem with flying is it removes too much content. Its not good to have the world being interacted with purely on the players terms dropping in and out of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

When in the air on a flight taxi, yes you are effectively a not active player. On a flying mount you can be an active player anytime you want.

Yes and limiting the player to controlled flight paths limits the time and areas a player can be inactive.

You would be happier in a single player game. You want the world to revolve around you.
    If your feelings against flight were so strong, what kept you engaged in WoW for the duration of it's life?

Also, I kinda think you have the mindset that an MMO is an ant colony, with all the workers doing one thing to progress the colony, and all should be content with the status quo.

When really an MMO is like a children's playground, with some kids preferring the swings, some on the monkey bars, some in the sand pit, and some kids doing everything.
    Me to WoW chat : "This ice epidemic is out of control. 3 horses have just tested positive in Victoria. Where do horses find Ice dealers anyway?"
    Random king of the internet : "Probably from a drug mule."

You keep bringing up taxi flights. They only exist to allow you to cover large distances and are under control of the game makers.

You can still interact with the world, you 'll just have to interact with it for longer.
    Really? How on a flight taxi I can interact with the world better than flying myself somewhere that leave me in control?

You are making valid points, I understand what you are saying, but the problem with flying is it removes too much content. Its not good to have the world being interacted with purely on the players terms dropping in and out of the game.
    If that were true, TBC and WoTLK would have posted different sub numbers and never reached 12 + million active gamers. So, your idea doesn't really hold water.

IT wasn't until the quality story, content and general lack of content did subs fall. Cataclysm and MoP had problems but flying wasn't one of them.

Yes and limiting a player to controlled flight paths limits the time and areas in which a player is inactive.

Flight paths - Flying to areas under the control of the game makers. This leaves huge areas limmersive engaging and dangerous.
    Personal mount - You said it - engaged when you choose to be usually avoiding engagement imersion and danger as much as possible.

As they said, they want to make the world more engaging immersive and dangerous.
    What does actively choosing to avoid dangers have to do with breaking immersion? Nothing. It not logically inconsistent. It fits. You just don't like it =P
    Does everything in the game need to be dangerous? No. That is silly.
    Could flying be more dangerous? Sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Ok fair enough. You think that's engaging game play. I don't think many people will agree with you but hey enjoy yourself floating in mid air waiting for someone to " flip you off".

Unless ofcourse you do other things as well? you do don't you??!?
    I use my flying mount to get me to:

- Pet Battles
    - Farming Ore
    - Farming Herbs
    - Dailies
    - Cooking at Halfhill
    - farming at Halfhill
    - getting to old raids
    - getting to old dungeons
    - tracking rare pets
    - finding rare battle pets
    - going to specific fishing spots
    - giving friends a lift over the wall in Pandaria
    - carrying noobs out to DeadMines
    - chasing down flagged Alliance for PvP
    - getting across the zone with a quickness to help a lowbie
    - flying guildmates to a dungeon to run them through
    - meeting guildmates at the raid entrances
    - flying out to the PvP vendor on the wall for new gear
    - getting from A to B at 310% instead of 100% to get it DONE
    - going back for Loremaster achievement quests
    - showing off new flying mounts from old content
    - showing off new flying mounts from new content
    - Role Playing my Orc Warrior on my Iron Skyreaver

etc, etc, etc...

Like I said, I have an entirely different way of flying than the "afk, out of the world" bullshit that most of you anti-fliers keep spewing.

Again you have selective reading. Many parts of the game are for solo activity, pet battles, archaeology, ore, herbs, skinning, exploring, pet collecting, dailies. fishing and so on. Blizzard created these single player aspects of the game, should we delete these too?
    I think he is just choosing not to acknowledge you because it hurts his case.

Yes and limiting a player to controlled flight paths limits the time and areas in which a player is inactive.
    Player controlled flight at max level keeps players more active than flight paths could ever hope to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by tawoko View Post
    But if they never allow flying in Draenor, I wouldn't mind.
    And I would. And that is where we will have to agree to disagree. Not flying til level cap. That's expected. Never flying at all? Not acceptable in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Really? How on a flight taxi I can interact with the world better than flying myself somewhere that leave me in control?

If that were true, TBC and WoTLK would have posted different sub numbers and never reached 12 + million active gamers. So, your idea doesn't really hold water.

IT wasn't until the quality story, content and general lack of content did subs fall. Cataclysm and MoP had problems but flying wasn't one of them.
    Flight paths limit the areas and time players are inactive to Blizzards choosing.

The increase of subs at these times is down to many factors. Blizzard have the data so they know whether flying had anything to do with it or not. Given what they are saying lately I consider it unlikely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    I think he is just choosing not to acknowledge you because it hurts his case.

Player controlled flight at max level keeps players more active than flight paths could ever hope to accomplish.
    You are effectively not participating in the game world whilst in flight.

Flight paths force the player to enter areas on the ground.

And I would. And that is where we will have to agree to disagree. Not flying til level cap. That's expected. Never flying at all? Not acceptable in my book.
    Thats me.

I cold have been Ok with the originally announced flight to return with an epic quest in 6.1

I still disliked the hazy, "no one knows when 6.1 will be that but I could have been OK with it.

The possibility of no flying at all in WoD while they still sell flying mounts based on the expansion they are removing flying is. Unacceptable.
    Removing a feature just to they can slow content consumption because they have lost the ability to create content in a timely manner. Unacceptable.

Using flying as an excuse to push TI style content across the entire expansions - unacceptable.

Too many cons and not nearly enough pros for the entire expansion as a whole and they are wanting more for it.

I just can't in good conscious give them any more money or my gaming time.

I use my flying mount to get me to:

- Pet Battles
    - Farming Ore
    - Farming Herbs
    - Dailies
    - Cooking at Halfhill
    - farming at Halfhill
    - getting to old raids
    - getting to old dungeons
    - tracking rare pets
    - finding rare battle pets
    - going to specific fishing spots
    - giving friends a lift over the wall in Pandaria
    - carrying noobs out to DeadMines
    - chasing down flagged Alliance for PvP
    - getting across the zone with a quickness to help a lowbie
    - flying guildmates to a dungeon to run them through
    - meeting guildmates at the raid entrances
    - flying out to the PvP vendor on the wall for new gear
    - getting from A to B at 310% instead of 100% to get it DONE
    - going back for Loremaster achievement quests
    - showing off new flying mounts from old content
    - showing off new flying mounts from new content
    - Role Playing my Orc Warrior on my Iron Skyreaver

etc, etc, etc...

Like I said, I have an entirely different way of flying than the "afk, out of the world" bullshit that most of you anti-fliers keep spewing.
    All activities which require interaction with the world take place on the ground.

What you are arguing for is convenience not game play.