1. #1201
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    I don't see how restricting someones movement (not the movement speed, I mean the actual directions) would make one go out into the world more.
    I fail to see that either. I mean, just do a test. Make random dungeons not teleport players to dungeon (and no summoning stone) but make them receive 250VP. I seriously doubt that people would suddenly start flying (not even using their flying mounts).

  2. #1202
    I use flying all the time. It's a convenience that I've gottwn used to. However, I wouldn't mind flight being more dangerous or interesting. Just being a convenience that we've all gotten used to doesn't seem like a good enough reason to keep it.

    In BC when it was first implemented, I was ecstatic about being able to find caves with hidden rares or loot chests and the like. It didn't happen, obviously, but there WERE areas that you needed flying to get to, such as Skettis and the Ogri'la daily area in Blade's Edge.

    THOSE are gopd reasons to keep flight. Gameplay reasons that extend beyond a mild convenience that makes the world less dangerous for those using it.

  3. #1203
    i hate how they are making such a big thing of this garrison idea its a mmo not a single player game wtf is the point of putting so much time into something no1 else can see when time would be much better spent making something that brings people together to do something, alltho the no flying at all sounds nice cos since cata the world has just got tiny.

  4. #1204
    Old God Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles (Vacation)
    Posts
    10,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    I fail to see that either. I mean, just do a test. Make random dungeons not teleport players to dungeon (and no summoning stone) but make them receive 250VP. I seriously doubt that people would suddenly start flying (not even using their flying mounts).
    Blizzard wouldn't restrict flying "just because they can". Whatever content they've got planned for WoD, they obviously believe it will be better without the ability to fly. Instead of complaining about the lack of flying, it would be more interesting to discuss potential why's. The former has proven to only bring cheap conflict.
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.

  5. #1205
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Blizzard wouldn't restrict flying "just because they can". Whatever content they've got planned for WoD, they obviously believe it will be better without the ability to fly. Instead of complaining about the lack of flying, it would be more interesting to discuss potential why's. The former has proven to only bring cheap conflict.
    If you are asking why I dislike the lack of flying it's because I don't like spending my time riding a mount. I already don't like doing it with a flying mount so there is no way in hell I'll like doing it on a ground mount.

  6. #1206
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Blizzard wouldn't restrict flying "just because they can". Whatever content they've got planned for WoD, they obviously believe it will be better without the ability to fly. Instead of complaining about the lack of flying, it would be more interesting to discuss potential why's. The former has proven to only bring cheap conflict.
    That's a fine argument if you only believe that it's only the thought that counts. I'm sure it will seem great for the first 5 minutes until everyone gets used to the geography and travels around more mindlessly than they do on a flying mount that could send them into the middle of the sea. Unless you think Blizzard plans on making us do in-game puzzles while we ride our ground mount, then there's very little chance that the perceived benefit will play much of a role.

  7. #1207
    Lets just take a step back a second what content do players believe that blizz can provide if they don't allow flying?

    IMO stuff definitely has more of an impact if you see it on the ground for the first time, and the world seems larger, but they would get that even if flying was unlocked at max level.

    I'll be a bit dissappointed if its just a bunch of jumping puzzles or if they put more rare mobs with rewards in because one guy can't zoom around on his flying mount farming them all as they spawn, I guess they can provide the "fel reaver experience" were you get an audio queue something big and nasty is coming and then panic a bit.

    The have 100% stated they will focus a lot on flightpoints and making sure you can travel around the world efficiently and will have failed if it feels annoying and takes too long.

  8. #1208
    Herald of the Titans Darkfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    And not a single fuck was given.

    I would love there to be no flying for many reasons.

    1. I love exploring games. in Skyrim I never used the mounts just walked.

    2. I would love to see the butt hurt from people this bothers.

    **not really many reasons***
    First you can do already. Second isn't valid.

  9. #1209
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    Daily quests have been in the game nearly as long as flying mounts and they are getting axed for the most part, from what I've gathered.
    I'm betting dailies will be around. They might call them 'dynamic events' or something, but they'll be periodic things that you do for some reason (rep, tokens, etc).

    There is really not much they can really do to limit the power of flying mounts without breaking them in some way. Likely the least confusing way to do it is actually disable them on the latest content in the game, then re-enable them later.
    Actually, it's never bothered me to have them not work while leveling. That is a pretty good compromise between taking time to design leveling content to account for flight (see below) and preserving the integrity of the content.I'm not a fan of no flight until 6.1 and then jumping through artificial hoops to get flight back when I've had it before, but it's not a huge deal to me.
    So you would be fine if the devs spent an unknown number of hours and dollars to design weather-based mechanics, air currents, fake ceilings, airborne roaming elite NPCs, a "fuel/energy" resource for flying mounts or any other concept to act as a trade-off for the "godmode" that flying mounts give to players?
    Did you play TBC? Remember Nagrand and the anti-aircraft around towns? And yes, I'd be FINE with the devs fully designing for flying mounts. They SHOULD design for what the players can do. It's silly to have player flight in the game for 3/4 of its lifetime and still complain that you can't design with it in mind.


    As for me getting off my flying mount and using a ground mount - uh, thanks - that basically means that I will be barely able to gather any mining/herb nodes as I watch all the 450%+ fliers swoop and grab them before I can get there. Solid plan, brah.
    There is no trade-off for using flying mounts. They can be used everywhere you can use a ground mount. There is absolutely no trade-off for choosing a flyer over ground, at any time.

    If the area is flyable and it's not an enemy NPC camp/city - it's like typing /godmode & /noclip.[/quote]

    So fly when you gather and don't fly otherwise. But don't fly everywhere and then bitch about flying killing immersion or something. And you know what? That's right, flying has been around for 7 years. Just get used to it.


    Really?

    Ever heard of surface to air missiles? RPGs? SAMs?

    How about the production and maintenance costs of airplanes compared to land-based vehicles?
    really? You whine at me that they can't design around flight, then give examples of precisely how they could do it. As for cost? Flying is expensive (and was more expensive before), kind of like your example. Funny, that...

    How about how you can't land 99% of the airplanes in the world without a very costly airstrip - which essentially means your example of military based air support is more akin to flightpaths than flying mounts, since air force missions have to start at X and end at Y locations. The real world isn't like Agents of Shield where their jumbojet can just set down in someone's backyard with their magical VTOL engines.

    Bad analogy is bad.
    Yay, you understand the analogies aren't perfectly precise. You must have passed Logic 101. In case this goes past you, NO analogies are never perfect. That's not their use.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Blizzard wouldn't restrict flying "just because they can". Whatever content they've got planned for WoD, they obviously believe it will be better without the ability to fly.
    Think about that for a second. You're the lead on WoD for Blizzard.... flying has been in the game for the last 7 years... and you design content that you believe will be better if you remove a capability for your players.

    Does that sound bright? Intelligent? To me it sounds idiotic. It would be like designing content outdoors and disabling ground mounts or disallowing the ability to, say, get out of combat.
    Last edited by clevin; 2014-03-12 at 06:09 AM.

  10. #1210
    No flying is fine, just don't make the flight master routes completely retarded.

  11. #1211
    I very much doubt they would restrict flying totally when one of the main selling points of the collectors edition (or digital-whatever edition) is a Flying Mount!

    That would be a very silly move indeed from the marketing team.

  12. #1212
    I doubt they would remove flying completely. They will probably never do another zone that requires flying.

    I really like that they are making it that flying wont be enabled until the first major patch. It's nice seeing people running everywhere and traveling and not just flying over everything.

    Also makes world pvp more fun.

  13. #1213
    Personally, I think flying was one of the worst additions to the game.


    You no longer look into distant places and speculate what wonders might await us there.
    No incredible vistas designed to be seen from one place.
    It shrinks the world, and forces island design on every x-pack, while we could have massive worlds with only parts being accessible, like old Azeroth.

    Now everyone is seen that/been there , afk on mount in air while waiting for loot pinata to spawn.
    Days of adventuring to hostile territories are gone.

  14. #1214
    The only reason I wouldn't like no flying is for gathering mats. BUT...Garrisons may sort that with the whole extended tillers' concept. I hope it does. Send companions out to gather mats ala SWTOR and then there is genuinely no need for flying. I'm in.

  15. #1215
    If there's no flying in 6.1, my wallet freezes solid.

  16. #1216
    Quote Originally Posted by Naiomie View Post
    I'm laughing at everyone who's saying they're unsubbing just because you won't be able to fly. Kind of hilarious


    I personally love the idea of not being able to fly. The world feels so much bigger and scarier while not being able to fly!
    Until you've been through it quite a few times already. In my experience it eventually starts to feel like driving to work. But as long as they make my flying mounts useable on the ground, (I love a great deal of my flying mounts more than ground) I won't mind. If not, I guess I don't mind defaulting to awesome stuff.
    If you're reading this signature, I hope you're having a nice day.

  17. #1217
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    If there's no flying in 6.1, my wallet freezes solid.
    People are fighting this no flying... they don't understand what it was like when there was no flying...

    You would see and meet people, every trip could be an adventure, you actually had to do quests instead of flying over and finding the perfect spot to skip everything.
    World pvp will be more then flying in and killing them then flying away...


    My favorite expansion was Vanilla, Not because of the raiding (though i loved raiding then) or the new amazing features they added to improve the game.
    IT WAS COMMUNITY, which the game slowly lost over time since flyings been out, everyone ignores everything in game and just flies above it.
    even doing isle on my alt i feel like the servers community is more then sitting in a city, i will sit my character in the isle and end up actually just randomly killing mobs or rares or helping people or censoring people or grouping up with people to kill censors. It's not the same as how people were in Vanilla, but it still feels a lot more closer to having that community then sitting in a city watching people spam LFG or LFM.
    It sometimes felt in vanilla you were in an after school special... always getting yourself caught up in these wacky adventures.

    And those that think this will destroy gathering proffessions are wrong... start of the expansion materials are overpriced anyways, and the AH wont be flooded with mats, for a low pop server it may cause small issues but with the merged realms that should be solved.

    But either way those that say they probably wont play will probably play and probably wont notice no flying a few weeks into it. if you need to get far you sit on your flight path and go do a chore or make food or take a poop. If its close they will have everything designed for ground mounts.

  18. #1218
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbacca View Post
    People are fighting this no flying... they don't understand what it was like when there was no flying...

    You would see and meet people, every trip could be an adventure, you actually had to do quests instead of flying over and finding the perfect spot to skip everything.
    Didn't know you could fly while leveing in pandaria, oh wait, you couldn't
    World pvp will be more then flying in and killing them then flying away...
    There is no reason to ever reproduce "world pvp", it's basically low levels getting ganked by a group of players, hardly anything fun.
    Go rated bg if you want to kill players.

  19. #1219
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    Also, flying is just swimming really fast as far as the game engine cares.
    Swimming is swimming, and flying is flying. Trying to mix the two is not possible. You either SWIM fast, or you FLY fast. They are completely separate concepts.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    I love that movie but the quest chain they are proposing may upset too many players IMO.
    Quest chains are a main staple of any good MMO. We used to quest to get lock and pally mounts. We would quest for Druid forms. We would quest to get shaman totems. They've moved away from that style of immersion. It is nice to see it return, even in some small form. Plus, it makes sense that since I can fly in every other condition, including outerspace and twisting nether, I should not have to learn how to fly once more on the same planet in a new timeline. Technically, if you have Outlands flight, you have Draenor flight. I think this is an interesting way of keeping the playing field set for an entire patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    sure you can have Dreanei warlocks

  20. #1220
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    They should have been designing those things years ago, so yes. Also, flying isn't godmode. You can't fly into enemies and kill them. Flying mounts don't help kill anything. They help you skip things and get places faster, but nothing dies because of a flying mount. Also, you are wrong about the ground mounts. There are tons of places that allow ground mounts that don't allow flying mounts. Not only all the MoP islands, but lots of dungeons, battlegrounds and raids have places you can use ground mounts but not flying mounts.

    Stop throwing a hissy fit.
    I'm not throwing a hissy fit.

    Flying is godmode, provided you just don't try to run through a pile of enemies and tank them. You can't get dazed while flying so basically holding the spacebar down will let you escape at any time - except if it's around an enemy city, where the guards do have abilities to knock you off your flyer.

    If you could still get dazed from a flying mount (ala TBC era) and the skies were littered with max level mobs, then flying would have some danger to it - as it is now, if you can fly you are safe and untouchable in 99% of the game world.

    When you are in a place that grounds you, you can still summon the flying mount and it will act as a ground mount. A flying mount is a ground mount that can fly, thus ensuring it will always be better in potential than just a ground mount alone.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Ohhh poor Blizzard, I feel so sorry for them that they actually have to think about their game design. I'm sorry, but they introduced a useful, fun, and wildly popular feature, now they want to QQ that they have to put a little more effort into their game? Less QQ more pewpew Blizz. And frankly, you could apply this argument to any aspect of the game. Blizz has to put in special this or special that to deal with cool thing A or cool thing B. Sorry, sometimes new stuff presents new challenges. I thought that's why people kept buying these expansions, ya know, for new content and new challenges? I figure if I've paid Blizz more for WoW than my entire entertainment system, they can suck it up.
    You do realize that WoW is among the few MMORPGs that actually supports flying mounts right? Most new MMOs are trying to avoid flying mounts, or mounts in general.

    As for flying mounts being a "wildly popular feature" - go figure, you hand players the ability to turn off being frustrated with NPCs fly over everything and many like it. I imagine some players would love having the ability to turn off random encounters in other games too, like the Final Fantasy series.

    So tell me, if you were designing WoW - what would you do to provide "new challenges" when your playerbase can just hop on their flying mount and fly 120 yards above them?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •