"Time to find something else to play!" - The people who enjoy ganking and then flying beyond the range of any danger
    I'd honestly enjoy this a lot. Here's hoping they go ahead with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    A lot of people won't suffer. Some will. Where is the suffering coming from? I'm suggesting it's their own perception that they're being restricted, when in reality, they'll get to see the new world from a more interesting perspective.

It seems to me that people just don't like change.
    But if I want I can already see the world from that perspective, I choose not to because I don't want to. If you choose to do so then more power to you, But to force me to do what you like/want is well just plain stupid. But something tells me no matter how many times someone tells you, or explains it to you, you just won't get it. Don't care to get it. or are just a troll. Either way, you feel how you do, and I and others feel how we do. That is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    This is exactly the same idiocy that led them to remove the city portals at the start of Cataclysm. And the same players who support no flying probably supported that too. I argued my back off online back then against these people. I wonder how many of them really did enjoy the lack of portals and used it to fully explore Azeroth. Right.

The only thing that did was that it hindered the people who actually enjoy travelling and exploring the world, like myself. I love being in different capital cities, I'm rarely ever in Org and Sw. I love discovering beautiful spots in Azeroth. I love working on my loremaster, roleplaying, doing pet battles, archeology, herbing, mining, fishing, doing old dungeons. Flying and city portals help a lot with this. I wouldn't even be able to reach some of the beautiful places without flying, and I'd also greatly miss out on the wonderful view from above.

I've found that the players who cheer on the loudest for changes like the removal of city portals or flying are the ones that stand around in SW / Org all day, and will remain doing so when the changes they advocated for actually happen. Whereas players who enjoy exploring and traveling, get punished and potentially unsub. Which is why I'm glad Blizzard came to their senses regarding city portals -- from the looks of it, we'll even be able to have them in our own garrisons now. I expect they'll come to their senses with regards to flying as well.

For the record, I fully support no flying till level cap, and wouldn't mind no flying till first patch either -- but after that, it's an absolute necessity.
    I am the same. I like looking at the geology of WoW's world as it is fairly close to what you find in the real world. Taking away flying takes away my ability to explore. And I too remember when they removed portals that it caused a real strain where everyone was siting in the main cities waiting for queues and mages were chased for free ports haha.

I agree. The quests, gear, etc are increasingly more like work, and the incentives to play the game for the experience and not just to reach some meaningless number have vanished. It's a big problem, and a small part of that is flying mounts. Admittedly, the core of it is their questing system, short leveling times, and increasing focus on endgame content.
    No its not, 'being on a ground mount' has never been an incentive to go do things out in the world. If you are going to blame flying mounts, actually back it up with some reasoning.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I'd honestly enjoy this a lot. Here's hoping they go ahead with it.
    Not everyone plays on a pvp server. So please stop assuming it's just pvpers. I am a roleplayer.

It doesn't say anything remotely along that line. Your imagining things.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    People need to stop using immersion as a reason to remove flying. Sure, it may work for you but I'm much more immersed in this fantasy world when I can fly on a dragon...

The only downside of flying is people can't be ganked as easily. Removing flying altogether is a mistake.
    I wouldn't call that a downside. The only time people are flying is to get places or to AFK. People can just use flight paths if flying isn't an option, and PvP involving 5 grievous PvP clad bads demolishing an AKF PvEr is not fun or engaging gameplay for anyone.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, I really get why people want to go through the leveling content on their first character without flying. It adds immersion, changes the pacing, lets you discover the world slower and revel in all the little stuff, I get that. I actually enjoy that myself on the first couple of characters.

That said though, why the fuck would you want to spent months taking longer to get everywhere? It's like taking all the backstreets to work every morning instead of hopping on the freeway. Folks, that shit gets old fast.

I've been playing since early Vanilla and I've got my own rose-tinted goggles on being land-locked. But come on; One of the best things about and most obvious rewards from dinging that end-game level is the sense of power and freedom of being able to lift off and see stuff from the skies.

I've said this many times before but it's worth repeating: If you don't want to fly, don't. Just don't inflict your personal preference on the rest of us by whinging at Blizzard the loudest. They're stupid enough to listen.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    This is going to be up there with the STAR WARS NGE. As an avid gamer of 25+ years I hope that this is not true.
    You nailed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    People need to stop using immersion as a reason to remove flying. Sure, it may work for you but I'm much more immersed in this fantasy world when I can fly on a dragon...

The only downside of flying is people can't be ganked as easily. Removing flying altogether is a mistake.
    I just said it was for me, are you blind? There's much more to "immersion" than what kind of magical beast you happen to have your buttocks attached to at any point in time, astonishingly enough. That's why I gave examples. I didn't say they'd work for you, nor do I particularly care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    You used even worse arguments. First of all, what is the problem with taking the efficient route? Secondly, people will just use flight paths to get everywhere and then use roads for the rest. Also, if by 'unexpected' you mean being facerolled by a group of 5 players who then proceed to camp and /rofl at you, then no that doesn't make the game more fun and it's not exciting at all.
    Nothing is wrong with taking the efficient route. In fact, that's what I said people will always do. They will always take the efficient route - which is why the argument that those who dislike flying mounts should just use ground mounts is null.

People will not use flight paths to get everywhere. They will use flight paths to go long distances. Flying from mob to mob or node to node is the current norm.

If you don't like world pvp, then don't play on a pvp server. But that aside, by unexpected events I was referring to getting attacked by mobs, finding a chest, etc etc.

I can understand if you are one of the mindless gankers, why you wouldn't like flying. But aside from being an opportunistic ganker, I see no negative to flying. Your so called reasons are just nitpicks against the reason people provide as to why flying isn't bad. It's not a logical truth at all.

Not to mention having to go everywhere on ground mounts severely discourages getting out into the world to actually go and do things in the first place. Heck, people hated dailies in MoP with flying mounts. You think people are going to be happier when they have to now go out and do similar activities on only ground mounts?
    I gave plenty of reasons as to why flying is worse than ground mounts for the experience of the game. Maybe you should read what I wrote. We can start with less danger, no need to focus on the game, and fewer incidents, which all reduce immersion - the source of engagement.

The dailies sucked because they sucked. Blizz probably won't make that mistake again.

Your arguments defending no flying are:

1. It's not that bad.

and

2. But then you won't get ganked!

and I don't see how either of those is a valid argument.

Those aren't my arguments. At all. I didn't even mention pvp. Not once. I don't know why you're so focused on it.

Deleted
    I thought this was meant to be only initially (Until the second patch of expansion) which I was more than happy about. (More immersive only having ground mounts initially when questing)
    Now however, if its for the entire expansion, that is a entire expansion of nearly impossible farming and all of us losing 1/3rd of our mounts.

This must be some kind of mistake or taken out of context as we were already promised it would only be until a future patch in the expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    I've said this many times before but it's worth repeating: If you don't want to fly, don't. Just don't inflict your personal preference on the rest of us by whinging at Blizzard the loudest. They're stupid enough to listen.
    It really isn't worth repeating, because it's overstated bullshit, and nothing more. What gamer would choose a less efficient choice? What you suggest goes against the core purpose of the game. Might as well not play it.

I just don't understand the whole "OH THE WORLD IS BIGGER AND MORE DANGEROUS NOW" point of view. Mostly just because its more like "oh yes I can walk through this amazing and useless world devoid of anything that's actually relevant to me as a max level player as a timesink while getting dazed off my mount and killing mobs that are somewhere between small and no threat to me ever because the outside world is tuned so low I could probably keybind my entire keyboard to just about any filler spell of any class and be perfectly fine".

Granted that might be fun and interesting to some people or perhaps people so new that questing isn't repeating the same quest I did somewhere in Vanilla then again in BC content then again in WotLK then again in Cata and then once again in MoP for at least the thousandth time with my character being so overtuned compared to the world assuming I can actually play it semi correctly because they design outdoor content as if I had never played the game at any point ever. Even at max level. SO INTERESTING

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    You know, I really get why people want to go through the leveling content on their first character without flying. It adds immersion, changes the pacing, lets you discover the world slower and revel in all the little stuff, I get that. I actually enjoy that myself on the first couple of characters.

That said though, why the fuck would you want to spent months taking longer to get everywhere? It's like taking all the backstreets to work every morning instead of hopping on the freeway. Folks, that shit gets old fast.

I've been playing since early Vanilla and I've got my own rose-tinted goggles on being land-locked. But come on; One of the best things about and most obvious rewards from dinging that end-game level is the sense of power and freedom of being able to lift off and see stuff from the skies.

Compelling argument. It's obviously because a few loud, angry people whinged to Blizzard that they're considering it. Ever stopped to think for more than a second that it might actually be WORTHWHILE to have people on the ground for longer? Sure, you won't get your "OMG BITCHES I CAN FLY, SHIT" moment when you ding 100, but think about all the things that can make up for it. Oh, and it's not just so you can take longer to get around, just as a tip.

Please, angry little people, think about the whole picture before you get your knickers in a twist.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    25+ years of mario, farmville, and hello kitty island adventure?
    Don't forget tetris yo.

And you enjoy it why? Yes, flying offers efficiency. But what else? You can look down on the world from a
    I explained that bountifully before in this very thread, but again:

- Exploring. Finding places where you can not go by foot. There are sooo many beautiful places that my friends and I have found over the years. Did you know that there's this lovely area north east of Moonglade that's just perfect for RP druid meetings?

- Enjoying the flying itself. Flying is one of these ultimate dreams of mankind. When you ask a given number of people what superpower they'd choose if they could have any, usually a majority of them will say "flying". (I personally wouldn't, I think there are far more useful super powers ) Just sitting on your flying mount and soaring above, choosing where to fly independently at any given second, seeing places from above that you've only known from below, in a whole new perspective ... it's magnificent.

Maybe this will explain it better than I can

Btw, I agree with you that exploring the world by foot is beautiful as well. Which is why everyone should do it, at the start of the expansion, while leveling. Get to know the continent by foot, and then rise above it and see "a whole new world", see all the places you knew before from a different perspective. Why limit yourself to only one of the two? Or more importantly, why would you want to limit other players to only one of the two?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... I actually said "for you". How can I be blind when I acknowledged that? >_>

Point is, however you're immersed, you should have to ruin how others are immersed. Blizzard should make both paths attractive.
    I'm not really ruining anything. I'm just enjoying what's potentially, again, in my opinion, a very good decision from a gameplay point of view. Might I politely enquire as to how you'd make both paths attractive?

If they took out flying for an entire expansion that alone wouldn't make me quit. I would most definitely quit with that change on top of ALL the other changes that are coming with WoD. With the item squish, the stat changes, the healing changes etc it's a lot to handle all at once. We read forums and know what's going on, but the average player...they're going to be blindsided by these changes. I worry that blizzard is trying to change too much too fast and the effect it will have on the game.
    If you ever wonder how dumb people really are then consider this: even in the golden age of smart heals dumb people still find ways to die.

remember, kids, when you can't come up with new stuff, just take away existing stuff and give it back later and people will be happy!

Like when your kid's birthday rolls around. Instead of getting him new stuff, just take away his bike and give it back in a month. He'll be so happy.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games