Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    There is nothing here about no flying for the whole expansion, just a bunch of flight haters hatin, and hatin ain't new in wow.
    Amen.
    /10char

I've been thinking about this for a while now. It doesn't have anything to do with this interview or whatever: what if they made PvP realms no-flying forever, with future content, while PvE realms would always keep their flying ability (apart from areas like Timeless Isle, of course)? I wonder how many people would transfer to/from PvP realms for this if they have to pay for it. I also wonder how many people would transfer to/from PvP realms if they made it free for one character.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Yup.

They could simplify the professions even further and it will still be a time sink. They may choose to reduce the amount of mats needed for the crafting professions but there is not guarantee they will increase the spawn rate and proliferation of the mining nodes.
    You ever wondered why it feels like Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms have herbalism/mining nodes closer to eachother? It's because it's true. Seriously, I've never seen 5+ nodes on my minimap in Outland, Northrend, Cataclysm nor in Mists of Pandaria. While it was pretty common in vanilla zones. They could easily do this with Warlords of Draenor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Valock View Post
    ...At least the world will feel x10 bigger with only ground mounts. And even better, DANGEROUS.
    The only danger is being stun knocked from your mount... bigger only because you can't get to where the action is quickly... therefore boring. No, the world is immersive as you want it to be, flying does not change that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zwoopaman View Post
    Would be nice if people that don't like flying could just, I don't know, not fly and let me have my flying, thanks much!
    Bad argument. I will fly if I'm allowed, just like I would cheat to kill heroic Garrosh if it was allowed. Path of least resistance etc.

I will not handicap myself on purpose in a video game. It's the same as pressing insta BiS-button, I would do it if offered and then be bored.

15+ Year Old Account
    Flying mounts could be balanced with ground mounts in a very seamless way:
    1 - Flying mounts start moving with one stack that "unlocks" X% of their full speed once you first attempt to move
    2 - Flying mounts accelerate (and possibly also decelerate) by gaining (and losing) such stacks

Results:
    - Ground mounts are faster to move decent distances
    - Flying mounts are faster to move huge distances, but inefficient to move short ones
    - This means flying mounts could even be faster (at their maximum) than they are now, without ruining the usefulness of ground mounts or feel of vastness of the world.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2014-03-10 at 01:30 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellash View Post
    Flying mounts could be balanced with ground mounts in a very seamless way:
    1 - Flying mounts start moving with one stack that "unlocks" X% of their full speed once you first attempt to move
    2 - Flying mounts accelerate (and possibly also decelerate) by gaining (and losing) such stacks

Results:
    - Ground mounts are faster to move decent distances
    - Flying mounts are faster to move huge distances, but inefficient to move short ones
    - This means flying mounts could even be faster (at their maximum) than they are now, without ruining the usefulness of ground mounts or feel of vastness of the world.
    As a person that has no plans to even consider the expansion till max level flying is added back to the game.

I could live with that design change but apparently blizzard can't be bothered to come up with an interesting idea (cause it would take away from a raid tier I hear ), they just remove it and hand it back like it's a treat and that is something I simply cannot support.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
    Bad argument. I will fly if I'm allowed, just like I would cheat to kill heroic Garrosh if it was allowed. Path of least resistance etc.

As opposed to allowing no one to fly? It's very selfish and entitled, yano?

Flying not restricted: everyone is freely able to choose between flying and not flying. Flying fans can fly, and flying haters can choose not to.

Flying restricted: no one can fly, and so flying fans can't fly, while flying haters can enjoy it.

I guess I will see another million cancel thanks to the ancient world PvP system

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    mining will be absolute garbage without flying
    Wont by any different than pre Cata.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    I feel sorry for those with gathering professions to be honest and the crafting professions will be hit somewhat but you can still function somewhat. To me MMORPG's are about progression not going backwards in design...that is why character models are being upgraded for WoD and why the talent system was over hauled in MoP, etc. Just my two cents IMVHO.
    They won't get hit at all. If it's anything like pandaria, nodes will be everywhere. And, supply will drop, and in some cases so will demand (jewlcrafting) but a lack of supply will just increase price so Demand drops and there will be an equilibrium

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    As opposed to allowing no one to fly? It's very selfish and entitled, yano?

Flying not restricted: everyone is freely able to choose between flying and not flying. Flying fans can fly, and flying haters can choose not to.

Flying restricted: no one can fly, and so flying fans can't fly, while flying haters can enjoy it.
    I like to run, but I entered a race where you can use feet, or a bike. Who won?
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    They won't get hit at all. If it's anything like pandaria, nodes will be everywhere. And, supply will drop, and in some cases so will demand (jewlcrafting) but a lack of supply will just increase price so Demand drops and there will be an equilibrium

- - - Updated - - -

WoW isn't a race. It's a game.

And not all races are competitive. Some races can be just for the fun of it, which is a better comparison. If you finish the race on foot, you can be proud of yourself because you managed to do it without making use of a bike. No professional race would make you choose between a bike or doing it on foot. Now you can say someone could go on foot on a bike race, and yes that would inconvenience them, but what would someone on foot even do at a 'BIKE RACE'?

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW isn't a race. It's a game.

And not all races are competitive. Some races can be just for the fun of it, which is a better comparison. If you finish the race on foot, you can be proud of yourself because you managed to do it without making use of a bike. No professional race would make you choose between a bike or doing it on foot. Now you can say someone could go on foot on a bike race, and yes that would inconvenience them, but what would someone on foot even do at a 'BIKE RACE'?
    So, hold on. I'm going to go ahead and give you my raid leader's email, and you can tell her to let me ride my ground mount while I level, or farm mats, or do quests, or get to dungeons. All things that apparently are not a race (lolwut)

And just to reiterate in a way that isn't sarcastic

"Be level 100 by the time raiding opens"

"Get all available crafted gear for first week of raiding"

"Get all reputation gear and recipies"

"Get all available dungeon gear"

In the order I listed above. All of these are a race against time, not other people. Other people isn't the issue, time is
    Last edited by roahn the warlock; 2014-03-10 at 01:43 PM.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Sure. Just refund the money I spent on flying mounts in the shop.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

- - - Updated - - -

You. Because you kicked that dude from his bike. Too bad you can't do anything against flying mounts anymore, at least you were able to poly/hex/knockback people from their mounts (it was pretty rare, which made it so funny). The only time you can poly/hex people off their mounts now, is if they allow you to (by standing on the ground with their flying mounts).

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    if this is the case.. I WILL NOT be buying...

So, hold on. I'm going to go ahead and give you my raid leader's email, and you can tell her to let me ride my ground mount while I level, or farm mats, or do quests, or get to dungeons. All things that apparently are not a race (lolwut)

So then, if you don't want to do competitive play, or a "race", then don't enter the race. You knew full well that you would have to use every advantage you could while leveling, once you signed up for raiding. This is not comparable. It's like saying leveling has to be changed because your raid leader wanting you to be ready for raiding currently doesn't allow you to enjoy all the quests and lore, like you would prefer to. You joined a competitive race, and now you're complaining about the fact that people want you to be competitive. You're not forced to, you chose to.

If you wanted to be able to do everything your own way, without taking the path of least resistance or the path that took you to your goal the fast, you wouldn't have joined a raiding guild. Instead, you did. And now you want something to be removed from other people because you can't handle the duties/obligations of something you willingly signed up for.
    Last edited by Yarathir; 2014-03-10 at 01:45 PM.

No flying is an experiment that will last until 6.1 if the idea turns out to be bad. If people love no flying 3-4 months after release, they'll keep no flying for the whole of the expansion, imo.

Tbh, I'm sick of just flying and dropping down onto objectives, it's not challenging, and it's straight-up boring. One of the main reasons I hated Cataclysm, they shrunk their new zones with it, and Vash'jir was just 100% longer than any other zone because of the lack of flying.

I think it's a good idea, because it'll give Draenor that extra-feeling of savagery, danger and brutality that it sorely needs if it to succeed as a world that shaped the most savage, brutal, maniacal race in Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgulok View Post
    No flying is an experiment that will last until 6.1 if the idea turns out to be bad. If people love no flying 3-4 months after release, they'll keep no flying for the whole of the expansion, imo.

Tbh, I'm sick of just flying and dropping down onto objectives, it's not challenging, and it's straight-up boring. One of the main reasons I hated Cataclysm, they shrunk their new zones with it, and Vash'jir was just 100% longer than any other zone because of the lack of flying.

I think it's a good idea, because it'll give Draenor that extra-feeling of savagery, danger and brutality that it sorely needs if it to succeed as a world that shaped the most savage, brutal, maniacal race in Warcraft.

Something that might help with that is no flying until cap, which we've had for all expansions except Cataclysm. And even I think flying in Cata should've only been available after hitting 85. I thought doing it for 60s was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Probably by some numbers, but also at the same time when player for forced to stay on the ground (excluding flight paths and zeppelins), as (s)he will also need to watch out for obstacles; walls, hostile villages, mountains, and so on. So at least it'll make players a bit more "in" the zone and make the world more meaningful than with current situation where player just flies to 100 meters high and put auto-run on until (s)he reaches the destined location.
    Since those obstacles were always there during the leveling process (we can't fly during leveling)....

why remove flying at max level?

What need does a dungeon, raid and arena running toon need with a forced move to make him run on the ground for an additional 2-4 months after he has reached max level?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgulok View Post
    SNIP

Tbh, I'm sick of just flying and dropping down onto objectives, it's not challenging, and it's straight-up boring.

SNIP
    Blame that on poor quest design brought to you by blizzard themselves.

In the large number of threads about flying VS no flying there have been a number of ideas on how to design quests with flying still there at max level. If gamers can come up with ideas (and no quests are not all in caves or buildings) you would think blizzard could too but you know what? Apparently not.
    Last edited by quras; 2014-03-10 at 01:49 PM.

So then, if you don't want to do competitive play, or a "race", then don't enter the race. You knew full well that you would have to use every advantage you could while leveling, once you signed up for raiding. This is not comparable. It's like saying leveling has to be changed because your raid leader wanting you to be ready for raiding currently doesn't allow you to enjoy all the quests and lore, like you would prefer to. You joined a competitive race, and now you're complaining about the fact that people want you to be competitive. You're not forced to, you chose to.

If you wanted to be able to do everything your own way, without taking the path of least resistance or the path that took you to your goal the fast, you wouldn't have joined a raiding guild. Instead, you did. And now you want something to be removed from other people because you can't handle the duties/obligations of something you willingly signed up for.
    Even if he's "forced", it's still not a problem. Just do what I do: rush through all the content as fast as possible, download addons that auto-accept/hand-in all quests and just keep on stomping through everything. Then when you're max level, disable to addons and once you have some spare time after raiding, level your alt on a slow pace while enjoying the environment and lore (if that's your thing).

Your experience would be a bit delayed, but I don't see why you couldn't just do that.