10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    That, I get. I do--honestly. I just don't find ground travel very engaging in a game where my monk has done her part to stop the Scourge, break the Twilight's Hammer, and participated in a revolution after doing her damnedest to protect her homeland from her own faction, and done most of that on dragonback (or, more recently, serpentback). I can see the value of ground travel while leveling, so flight feels like a 'hell yeah!' moment, but at level cap it becomes more jarring to immersion than suddenly swiping it away does (which can be justified as keeping a low profile, seeing as how 11/10 things on Draenor are out to kill you and you don't know the terrain yet).

But they haven't really brought up flight trivializing those events since Blizzcon, if they ever did. Since then they've gone on about the combat mechanics being the core of the gameplay (which, while not false, are hardly challenged by level 93 mobs) and Draenor feeling dangerous (which has the same pitfalls as before, at least during normal travel).
    this actually worries me, we know Blizzard always offers more than they deliver. I am however holding hope they they do add these kinda, Real-time Senarios and timeless crap

Side note: think of WoD as wow 2.0, if you look at it that way, things make more sense. I think they really dropped titan to focus on giving WoW a kick in the ass.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    I think we can Ignore cata. Cata was literally half-assed because they used all their time fixing old world to get new people. I really don't think heroics was the issue with cata, it was like a year of 4.0 mixed with the fact there was no 10 man (flex) mode.

with cata out of the way, they really arent so wishy washy.

Oh yeah they are. Sadly, they still are. And they need to stop being so, and hiding between silly excuses to do things.

10+ Year Old Account
    this actually worries me, we know Blizzard always offers more than they deliver. I am however holding hope they they do add these kinda, Real-time Senarios and timeless crap
    I doubt they'll axe the events, at least the Timeless Isle-style ones. Real-time events (which I'm not too sure on the details of, since I don't play GW2 or RIFT) may require extra tech work, but we'll see how beta unfolds.

- - - Updated - - -

Side note: think of WoD as wow 2.0, if you look at it that way, things make more sense. I think they really dropped titan to focus on giving WoW a kick in the ass.
    It's an interesting analogy, but not really one I think works. 2.0 would probably involve huge overhauls to the combat system to keep up with the current MMO scene like TERA and Neverwinter, with more focus on player mobility and getting out of the way of nasty stuff before it kills you than standing in front of the dragon with your shield up, and probably a lengthy timeskip to let them start with a clean lore slate (like Forgotten Realms did with D&D 4E, where all but the longest-lived characters have had time to pass away or die in the upheavals from Mystra's murder). This is more like WoW 1.5--same game, new coat of paint, and a few design leaps of faith based on their experiences with the last four expansions.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    I doubt they'll axe the events, at least the Timeless Isle-style ones. Real-time events (which I'm not too sure on the details of, since I don't play GW2 or RIFT) may require extra tech work, but we'll see how beta unfolds.
    There's no way they will. It's one of the reasons they wanted to keep people on the ground. Flying from rare spawn to rare spawn location isn't what they want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Srg56 View Post
    All of this is basically a war between people who actually want to play a mmoRPG and those for whom WoW is just cheap entertainment. Guess who is who. Not terribly challenging to figure out. Blizzard has catered in the last years, arguably since end of TBC, to the cheap entertainment crowd at the game's expense. Maybe they got tired of cheapening the game experience, got their souls back from the devil, or just want to experiment with moving in a different direction this time around with WoD. Nobody knows.
    Good post. Would read again.

It will come back mid expansion I feel.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    And so it should. Who would risk a falling death for two frogs worth of coins and a single lesser charm?
    Probably people who play the game to have fun rather than min/max like a robot.

I think they're both still playing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    You could be dead on. Blizzard is a pro at looking at other games and leaching off someone elses ideas, changing them around making it their own.

Take garrisons, it's a mix of SWTOR companions, Sims time management and farmville upkeep with multiple tweaks. A copy of other games mashed together with tweaks.

But removing flying from max level?

Thats one of the more stupidest moves I have seen blizzard make in 10 years. As if flying at max level somehow hindered the game during level.
    Warcraft 1 was "stolen" from Dune 2000. Diablo was "stolen" from various Roguelikes (not that anybody cared since it was essentially a dead genre at that point apart from a few enthusiasts).

Everything Blizzard has ever done has been about refinement and bringing together the best concepts in a genre to redefine and polish it. They're syncretic in their approach.

But sure whine about ripoffs. Not like that horse has been dead since the 90s or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe there are so many comments on this topic when the video clearly states that flying is only disabled until Patch 6.1.. Disabling it for the whole for expansion is ridiculous. The great thing about allowing flying in the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor was re-designing the zones so that the landscape properly blended with each other, and that we could actually access these higher up parts of buildings because they were essentially an illusion before then.
    If Draenor wasn't designed to have flying mounts, then the designers would take more liberties. Oh, and they won't remove flying/flying mounts so late in the game. They have just as many advantages and disadvantages. They should be used sparingly. We don't need another thread about flying unless it's something worth commenting on.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by z4x View Post
    Good post. Would read again.
    The thing is, you don't make a billion dollars a year catering to one small % of people.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    The thing is, you don't make a billion dollars a year catering to one small % of people.
    Ssssssoooooooo?
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I would argue the majority of wow players want to play a mmorpg from what he was saying. Bc provided growth in subs and didn't cater to the easy mode crowd.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did not bother to view all 53 pages of what is sure to be hyperbole and anecdotal evidence. Blizz has stated firmly there would be no flying UNTIL patch 6.1, after a small quest chain. Also, nothing is set in stone until they launch, even then a patch could fix the entire issue.

Anyone who believes there will be no flying at all in WoD, is a great fool.

I doubt it's going to happen, but if they allowed me to ride my flying mounts on the ground I'd be all for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    I would argue the majority of wow players want to play a mmorpg from what he was saying. Bc provided growth in subs and didn't cater to the easy mode crowd.
    The game, and the players, were different back then. There was no CRZ, LFD, LFR, or connected realms. There were tons of players and realms were self-sufficient. Then they jumped the shark with Wrath, and it has been downhill since.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    The game, and the players, were different back then. There was no CRZ, LFD, LFR, or connected realms. There were tons of players and realms were self-sufficient. Then they jumped the shark with Wrath, and it has been downhill since.
    Yea I agree. Although maybe it was just a needed lesson to learn by Blizz. perhaps providing more accessible ways to learn and get better at a class would be better than dubbed down content.

No flying is a gating mechanism. Every other game on the market has portals. Shoot, even Ultima Online had portals. WOW at best had flying, which is archaic and slow. Slooooow travel kills immersion.

What about the people who bought all the mounts? How do you justify the decision to them? Do you give them refunds?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I did not bother to view all 53 pages of what is sure to be hyperbole and anecdotal evidence. Blizz has stated firmly there would be no flying UNTIL patch 6.1, after a small quest chain. Also, nothing is set in stone until they launch, even then a patch could fix the entire issue.

Anyone who believes there will be no flying at all in WoD, is a great fool.
    Did you watch the interview? The one where they state their May not be flying at all. We want players to give this a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    What about the people who bought all the mounts? How do you justify the decision to them? Do you give them refunds?
    The same as people who bought ground mounts on alts before they were account-wide? Nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Yea I agree. Although maybe it was just a needed lesson to learn by Blizz. perhaps providing more accessible ways to learn and get better at a class would be better than dubbed down content.
    Everything changes with time. Most people don't still have Mortal Kombat party/tournaments. Not too many Star Craft: Brood Wars LAN parties still going on. Times always do, and must, change. We can either change with them, or be consumed by them. Personally, a few flaws aside, WoW is still very much the MMO I grew to love 7 years ago.

No flying is a gating mechanism. Every other game on the market has portals. Shoot, even Ultima Online had portals. WOW at best had flying, which is archaic and slow. Slooooow travel kills immersion.

No it's not gating because of flight paths which are faster than flying mounts I might add. I've bought the mounts and you can use all of them on the ground, and at a later date in WoD, and everywhere you can fly now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you watch the interview? The one where they state their May not be flying at all. We want players to give this a chance?
    I can promise this. People who have farmed flying mounts, and purchased the new Iron Skyreaver will be giving them TREMENDOUS amounts of grief over this. Also, as every expansion shows, there is a FLYING MOUNT given as a reward for an achieve, or a drop from a boss. This keeps people going back to play the same old stuff til they get it. I promise you, when 6.1 hits, with or without their little "quest", there will be flying in WoD.

People need to set down the pitchforks and realize the Ogre they thought was dangerous, is only Shrek.