/shrug

People loved Classic WoW and Burning Crusade before accessing flying mounts. I haven't seen people clamoring for flying mounts in other certain MMOs.

Can a world without flying mounts work? I think it very well can. It could even be better. Personally I think for flying mounts to truly be good, it needs to be built into the game as a form of gameplay, not a form of skipping gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjoa View Post
    Something that is also silly is to preemptively assume something that "This is how it will be, and its so horrible I'm gonna quit" after seeing the first few days of fucking Alpha. Do you REALLY think they won't compromise for not having flying?? Have some faith in Blizzards plans!
    I tend not to have blind faith in a company that has lied to me in the past. That, and I know what it's like to not have flying mount. Played for almost three years without one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    /shrug

Can a world without flying mounts work? I think it very well can. It could even be better. Personally I think for flying mounts to truly be good, it needs to be built into the game as a form of gameplay, not a form of skipping gameplay.
    I agree 100%. I don't see the other side of the argument at all really. I think that maybe what they are picturing it to be is like a Outland with no flying available? I dno what they feel, just, can't see it at all.

If this is what they think it will be i can see why they are threatening to quit. This is obviously not what it will be like in Draenor tho..

I agree 100%. I don't see the other side of the argument at all really. I think that maybe what they are picturing it to be is like a Outland with no flying available? I dno what they feel, just, can't see it at all.

If this is what they think it will be i can see why they are threatening to quit. This is obviously not what it will be like in Draenor tho..
    It will be timeless isle but the size of Outlands. The game isn't changing much from today. Do you think they will come up with some innovative thing? No, they said that Daenor will be just like timeless isle. No thanks.

Deleted
    So, please point out as to why I should prepare for dissapointment. I would assume by your post that you are one of the people that are wanting flying to stay in the game. Merely speculation, though

- - - Updated - - -

Something that is also silly is to preemptively assume something that "This is how it will be, and its so horrible I'm gonna quit" after seeing the first few days of fucking Alpha. Do you REALLY think they won't compromise for not having flying?? Have some faith in Blizzards plans!
    you said you're 100% sure that nobody will complain about no flying 1 month into the expansion. this is where you should prepare for disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    /shrug

People loved Classic WoW and Burning Crusade before accessing flying mounts. I haven't seen people clamoring for flying mounts in other certain MMOs.

Would you stop with this fucking bullshit? Stop pretending that flying mounts are only used to mischievously skip gameplay cause... what? We enjoy floating around instead of playing the game itself? They are nothing more than a means of travel that reduces the time-sink of flying paths and ground mounts. Stop treating them like they are the darkest evil on the face of the earth just to get your point across.

In fact this whole discussion is so full of shit it's a miracle it hasn't exploded. Like saying that Vanilla was SO FUCKING JUICY AND AWESOME cause it didn't have flying mounts. That is a lie. Vainlla was great in the teary eyes of ragass veterans because of it's novelty, you don't play a game for 10 long years and still experience the initial feeling of novelty.

Stop trying to remove flying cause you aren't smart enough to see that flying was never the problem.

Deleted
    Getting to learn the area and explore everything by ground will be amazing.. but eventually I would like to get to fly too..

Provided they have good timing in adding the flying part it could work wonders. If they decided to not add it at all.. hmm.. not sure how that would be a few months down the timeline. :P

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    It will be timeless isle but the size of Outlands. The game isn't changing much from today. Do you think they will come up with some innovative thing? No, they said that Daenor will be just like timeless isle. No thanks.
    Haha, and you accuse me of speculating from a faulty perspective. oh, man

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PGGR View Post
    Getting to learn the area and explore everything by ground will be amazing.. but eventually I would like to get to fly too..

Provided they have good timing in adding the flying part it could work wonders. If they decided to not add it at all.. hmm.. not sure how that would be a few months down the timeline. :P
    I'm guessing we will get flying in the landmass once there's new content to replace it. Like once Farahlon comes out.
    Black Lives Matter

Haha, and you accuse me of speculating from a faulty perspective. oh, man
    They said it themselves... I am not speculating anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    That's an incredibly... stupid viewpoint considering Blizzard's Twitter accounts usually speak about subjects that need clarification or give a brief glimpse of material that will appear on the next round of patch notes, or even provide insight as to which round of patch notes a particular change or idea will appear.

The viewpoint gets even worse when you realize that patch notes require... patches? And patches require time, so obviously the patch notes won't be updated every. single. day. of the week, that's what Twitter accounts are for.

Now that that's out of the way, who's arguing for the addition of flying so I can adjust myself on the opposite side of the argument?
    I'm in favor of flight. Feel free to line up behind the "Twitterz are deh fax derp" group found right over there. I will hang out over here with the Official statements on BNet and the Patch notes as they arrive. Since no one in this thread works for Blizz, and 6.1 is not yet here, anyone who claims flight is completely removed is likely an idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fearist View Post
    Are you sure you're not an idiot?

Mod Edit: Keep it civil please.
    I am confident of my own intelligence, but beginning to question that of others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    It's not Twitter, it's a fucking video interview on the first post of the thread you pollute with your ignorance. I wish that people would fucking look at the first post of a thread before starting shitting on it... If you look at that video, and you are not absolutely totally retarded, you will understand that THE FACT is that they will TRY to go for the no flying shit. Sure it's not set in stone, because if they start losing subscription they will be fucked in the ass by the financial department and forced to put it back, but the ACTUAL DESIGNERS of the game are pushing for that shit.
    So, this video was Posted to BattleNet as an official release of information? They are putting his position word for word into the patch notes? Maybe, if other people would read what people are posting, rather than assuming the dribble in that interview was unseen by the poster, they might just ease up for 5 seconds and understand one basic fact:

If it is not in the patch notes, it doesn't mean shit.

- - - Updated - - -

There IS a plan behind this from Blizzard's PoV. We just need to have faith in them.
    After hearing the babblings in Twitter and some of these interviews, it is difficult for me, a professed fanboy, to still want to follow them blindly. You feel free. I will wait for the 6.1 patch notes and vote with my wallet if needed.
    Last edited by -Superman-; 2014-04-12 at 04:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyMutt View Post
    No flying isn't gonna matter if the quests and the storyline is lifeless and dull. If the expansion fails to inspire, then removing flying is a waste, and Blizzard is digging themselves deeper.
    Let's hope that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Let's hope that is not the case.
    Might very well go that way, since recently it's been the only way that they will learn anything at all.

RealID, MoP Dailies, Cata Heroics, many mechanics that they have to hotfix even though testers in the PTRs told them repeatedly all throughout the PTR that it was going to not work the way Blizzard designed it, these are only a few examples of how the only way they seem to learn is to have it blow up in their faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    and the strategic choice of how I want to get to my next objective.
    There is no "strategic choice".

Not that killing things is hard (usually) but that I want to find the best path to avoid or engage what I want to.
    No you don't. You know why? Because I play a monk. I don't have stealth. You know how I deal with mobs I don't want to fight? I simply continue going forward. There is no "finding the best path to avoid or engage". Hell, more often than not the best path to avoid them is to simply run right through them and not care. So no, ground mounts do not "make you try to find the best way to engage".

Flying removes all of that and my opinion has changed: REMOVE FLYING.
    Or you can stay on your ground mount and only concern yourself with how you want to play.
    Last edited by Cradix; 2014-04-12 at 05:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am right with you. As someone who has enjoyed WoW since Vanilla, I wanted them to knock it out of the park this time. But the no flying thing really has me worried because I see so many saying flying is what ruined the game to start with. If Blizzard can't do a good game that includes flying anymore, then maybe there is cause for alarm.
    Agreed. Flying did not ruin the game and how big Azeroth feels. My opinion, these things ruined it (to an extent):

1. LFD - No more being at the entrance to the Dungeon and joining other players, or asking in Trade to run with someone on your realm.

2. LFR - See above

3. CRZ - Rather than just MERGING realms together and making them bigger, they forced us to draw lines in the sand against other realms and still, to this day, trash talk each other, even in the City with connected realms. Merge us and remove the server name segregating us

4. Removal of group quests - When you were in a zone, and had a quest that suggested 3 players, you asked for help. Now that everything is soloable, no need to interact with others

And the list goes on. They kept segregating and segregating til they got the community they have today. Timeless Isle did not reverse this damage, nor did Dino Isle or Thunder Isle. I am perfectly fine with no flying til level cap, that's how it's been since TBC (minus Cata). But no flight at ALL in the new content? No thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, just don't understand why it is not possible for them to do a world where at least some of the content is solid enough not to be broken by flying.
    All of the quests and story lines already take place on the ground. If they wanted to punish players to make them experience the content, they could lock flying to the Loremaster of Draenor Achievement. I would be ok with that. I clear all the new content at least once anyway. If they did that going forward, I would be ok with it. But no flight at all is asinine.

i be sensing some chaos when the masses be learning about this mon.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be OK with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Loremaster requirement is actually a good idea. In fact, if Blizzard is being up front an honest with us about not wanting the content trivialized, it is the optimal solution. We see everything they wanted us to see from the ground and made all the prerequisite discoveries. IE We did the content. Then there is no reason to withhold flying.

Hell, if you did it that way you wouldn't even need to delay it because people would still have to do the cheevs to unlock it. Mind you I am not against a delay per se, like 6.1 for example. What got me all riled up was these devs and community managers who started making forum posts and tweets that are bringing in to question the future of flight in the game.
    I thought it was pretty clever myself. But yeah, if flight is gone, I'll take the $700 a year I spend on WoW and find myself a new hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I thought it was pretty clever myself. But yeah, if flight is gone, I'll take the $700 a year I spend on WoW and find myself a new hobby.
    I know several people who will be doing the same thing. I already bought the expansion, so I'm going to give it a shot. If flying doesn't return in 6.1 I will have to really think about what that means for my time in WoW. It's not an automatic killer for me, but it's really not something I want to deal with either. Just depends how it's handled.

I've been playing since right after BWL released. I never felt like flying was a hindrance to the story-telling aspect of the game. I do think you should be grounded until max level, but after that I don't really see the benefit. It just lets me skip the annoying daze aspect of running through a group of mobs that no longer hold any significance for me.

I think this is a pretty good summation of where convenience is actually hurting story-telling and immersion.

1. LFD - No more being at the entrance to the Dungeon and joining other players, or asking in Trade to run with someone on your realm.

2. LFR - See above

3. CRZ - Rather than just MERGING realms together and making them bigger, they forced us to draw lines in the sand against other realms and still, to this day, trash talk each other, even in the City with connected realms. Merge us and remove the server name segregating us

4. Removal of group quests - When you were in a zone, and had a quest that suggested 3 players, you asked for help. Now that everything is soloable, no need to interact with others
    I would also add the shrinking of the profession system to the list. People aren't going out into the world to mine/herb/fish nearly as often as before. There isn't much need... the profession system is pretty easy to manage and very few/nothing really requires extreme levels of materials. Add to that the insane number of mining/herbing/fishing bots/scripts available and the personal farm (soon the garrison) and it's pretty easy to acquire materials at a fairly low price on the AH.

The only real reason I go out of the town in Pandaria anymore is to do the daily pet tamers or when I'm bored and just enjoying the view.

I would also add that shrinking the game to a single relevant tier did a lot of damage as well. However that's a very long topic for a different thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
    I would also add the shrinking of the profession system to the list. People aren't going out into the world to mine/herb/fish nearly as often as before. There isn't much need... the profession system is pretty easy to manage and very few/nothing really requires extreme levels of materials. Add to that the insane number of mining/herbing/fishing bots/scripts available and the personal farm (soon the garrison) and it's pretty easy to acquire materials at a fairly low price on the AH.

The only real reason I go out of the town in Pandaria anymore is to do the daily pet tamers or when I'm bored and just enjoying the view.

I would also add that shrinking the game to a single relevant tier did a lot of damage as well. However that's a very long topic for a different thread.
    Agreed. I would love to receive an invite to that thread if you find/create it. Flying has not harmed the immersion. The lack of immersion harmed the immersion. Content can be immersive, if done correctly.