I really don't think I'd mind. Now, I'd mind if I could never again use my flying mounts I worked for and enjoy, but I think in an expansion's zone setting, I think there would be ways it'd balance itself for that setting and I'd learn to adapt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post
    Gathering mats is playing..
    Gathering mats is part of leveling professions. Also, a big part of making flasks and banquets. I don't really consider the chores needed to play part of the playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Gathering mats is part of leveling professions. Also, a big part of making flasks and banquets. I don't really consider the chores needed to play part of the playing.
    Realistically, the second you pick a character on your character select screen is when you start playing the game. I really don't think classifying certain things as work is fair to do. Even if that's how you want to look at it, say that Blizzard can make these things less strenuous on you while also eliminating the need to fly to speed run the "work". What argument is left? Your role playing issue?

10+ Year Old Account
    You have the option to buy them, you also have the option to not level professions, especially considering that combat bonuses will be gone; however, you are making the decision to farm and to level professions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    You have the option to buy them, you also have the option to not level professions, especially considering that combat bonuses will be gone; however, you are making the decision to farm and to level professions.
    I make 20K a week just selling herbs and Ore. Buying is not an option, since that is a waste. And anyone who doesn't level profs is probably gold capped and has been for awhile. Some of us still need to make some coin to get by in the game Professions are just another money maker, but that money maker should not consume all of my playtime. I had been working just fine with 2 hours of flight farming and 7-8 hours of actual playtime. Once my speed is chopped in half, that means my gather time is Doubled, or even Tripled (when having to battle mobs and other obstacles. So 2 hours becomes 5 or 6.

I get that you flier haters have tons of free time and do not mind taking 3 times longer to accomplish things, but in a game... it shouldn't have to.

I make 20K a week just selling herbs and Ore. Buying is not an option, since that is a waste. And anyone who doesn't level profs is probably gold capped and has been for awhile. Some of us still need to make some coin to get by in the game Professions are just another money maker, but that money maker should not consume all of my playtime. I had been working just fine with 2 hours of flight farming and 7-8 hours of actual playtime. Once my speed is chopped in half, that means my gather time is Doubled, or even Tripled (when having to battle mobs and other obstacles. So 2 hours becomes 5 or 6.

I get that you flier haters have tons of free time and do not mind taking 3 times longer to accomplish things, but in a game... it shouldn't have to.
    Realistically, the second you pick a character on your character select screen is when you start playing the game. I really don't think classifying certain things as work is fair to do. Even if that's how you want to look at it, say that Blizzard can make these things less strenuous on you while also eliminating the need to fly to speed run the "work". What argument is left? Your role playing issue?
    You ignored this.

10+ Year Old Account
    You ignored this.
    I didn't ignore it. It is simply irrelevant until they PROVE that it will not take me one SECOND longer to farm without a flying mount than it does right now. Until they can PROVE it, that theory remains in my "They're full of shit" category.

doesn't matter if farming mats is slower or faster. when they take everything into consideration, you'll only gather as many mats in a certain time period as they intend. this would be true if there were no mounts at all and you walked everywhere or could teleport form node to node.

no flying has zero effect on material gathering

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    doesn't matter if farming mats is slower or faster. when they take everything into consideration, you'll only gather as many mats in a certain time period as they intend. this would be true if there were no mounts at all and you walked everywhere or could teleport form node to node.

Why would they make node runs faster when they're removing flight to slow down players from consuming content at the normal pace? Do you really think they are removing flight to coincide with improvements to the game? You guys are going to burn out a lot quicker than you can imagine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Why would they make node runs faster when they're removing flight to slow down players from consuming content at the normal pace? Do you really think they are removing flight to coincide with improvements to the game? You guys are going to burn out a lot quicker than you can imagine.
    Honestly, if nodes are as plentiful and respawn as quickly as they do in Vale, I don't think Blizzard needs to adjust anything, except perhaps placement. Flying around there I can clear the zone of nodes in ~10 minutes. If I had to ride, I would expect it to take about double that time. But that would probably allow nodes to respawn, and I wouldn't have to pause for 5 minutes while gathering.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Ok, let's look at that.

Flying - My Paladin flys with a 492% speed increase
    Riding - He moves at 241% speed increase
    Running - 130% increase

Please explain again how flying has NO effect on gathering. Obviously you have discovered a path around physics and shared it with Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    I have nearly unlimited time to burn, which doesn't mean that I WANT to burn in useless walking.

Which brings me to the second comment, in which I'm afraid of the trend that Blizzard is caving-in. They Actually are making their work easier, spending less time developing stuff, by doing the old EXCESSIVE time consuming of World of Walkcraft all over again, and then hiding behind some near-sighted players that defend the thing that can't be defended.

While we kill each other, they high-five each other inside Blizz, telling how smart they are by being like the Syndicate people. You know the ones that throw workers against their bosses, make the two nearly kill each other, and then lock themselves with the bosses in a room, and blackmail a pacification of the workers.
    You don't actually believe this, do you?

I didn't ignore it. It is simply irrelevant until they PROVE that it will not take me one SECOND longer to farm without a flying mount than it does right now. Until they can PROVE it, that theory remains in my "They're full of shit" category.
    I can't imagine being so change-averse.

I've decided to not discuss with them anymore, lolercaust. It is endless and you'll get stuck in a primitive loop of the same things. *I want to do this fast, i want to do that fast. Superman literally listed his 10 or so reasons as to why Blizzard should keep flying and every single point was "I need it so i can do this faster"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    I play WoW because it meets a certain criteria and has always kept to a pattern:

TBC - Hit 70 - go fly
    Wrath - Hit 80 - go Fly (patch 3.2 made that 77)
    Cata - Hit 60 - go fly
    Pandaria - Hit 90 - go fly

WoD? Hit 100 - wait til patch 6.1 (unless of course we decide after everyone buys the game and we have the money in our pockets we justwant to say fuck it and leave it out of the game but won't comment now cause that would just mean fewer game sales)

I am just fine with seeing how things go til 6.1. But the speed of the flying mounts allows me to play 10 hours a week the way I have become accustomed. Without the speed, I am reduced to about 4 hours a week of actual non-farming play time. I have no intention of spending the same amount of money for half the amount of content, and the removal of a key feature which I personally find invaluable.

People can make up all the bullshit excuses they like, but until I see some shred of evidence in the patch notes, or blizz finds a way to get me from node to node just as fast as a flying mount, I am keeping everything in the "I'll believe it when I fucking see it" pile.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sjoa View Post
    I've decided to not discuss with them anymore, lolercaust. It is endless and you'll get stuck in a primitive loop of the same things. *I want to do this fast, i want to do that fast. Superman literally listed his 10 or so reasons as to why Blizzard should keep flying and every single point was "I need it so i can do this faster"
    Yeah, because time is a commodity to some of us.

I'm growing tired of this myself.
    I guess it's natural that some people don't want to have their fast travel removed. I just wish there was more open-mindedness, more thought towards the possibility that this little experiment MIGHT bear some significant results that will make the game better. I have my misgivings (since I absolutely LOVE my flying machine and nether drake) but I am willing to suck it up if it means potentially making the game as a whole better.

The problem is that if they do screw up, it will be a fairly massive problem throughout the expansion. And even if they don't screw up, they're going through a lot of work to make things as easy as flying when they could just leave flying alone.

I guess it's natural that some people don't want to have their fast travel removed. I just wish there was more open-mindedness, more thought towards the possibility that this little experiment MIGHT bear some significant results that will make the game better. I have my misgivings (since I absolutely LOVE my flying machine and nether drake) but I am willing to suck it up if it means potentially making the game as a whole better.
    I feel like i have been too open minded before and should have complained about the direction of development long before.
    Edit:
    I mean i want flying to be more integrated into the world and should have complained when the trend shifted to grounded content.
    Last edited by Rutger; 2014-04-20 at 12:53 AM.

Over dramatization from you aside (who knew), garrisons have been noted for having some sort of farming capabilities. The fact is though they won't make it like farming with a flying mount because if you just sit in your garrison and collect all the mats you need, then when they are aiming to accomplish from removing flying mounts wouldn't matter. Also, in general, (Bolded because i know what you're going to say) there is more to this game than farming mats and i'll be damned if that is the reason flying HAS to be in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Over dramatization from you aside (who knew), garrisons have been noted for having some sort of farming capabilities. The fact is though they won't make it like farming with a flying mount because if you just sit in your garrison and collect all the mats you need, then when they are aiming to accomplish from removing flying mounts wouldn't matter. Also, in general, (Bolded because i know what you're going to say) there is more to this game than farming mats and i'll be damned if that is the reason flying HAS to be in the game.
    There is more to it... you're right about that.

There is the ability to fly to all of the Pet Battle Tamers (in WoD)
    There is the ability to fly up to the spires in Arak (in WoD)
    There is the ability to fly off to grind rep (in WoD)
    There is the ability to fly to dailies (in WoD)
    There is the ability to fly off and explore the zones from a bird's eye view (in WoD)

and dozens more reasons why flying mounts improve my QoL in this game. Also, I made sure to include the WoD part for any of the rocket scientists who like to point out "But you can fly to all those things now herp derp".

- - - Updated - - -

How can a game IMPROVE when someone wants to remove a long running feature and charge you the same amount of money for it. Some raid and heroic achieves come with a Flying mount. How pissed will people be when they spend WEEKS farming an achieve, to get a STELLAR looking flying mount and NOT be able to use it in Draenor, or at their OWN garrison? How many people will rush right out to clear the achieve and not even get to use the mount they just earned in CURRENT content.

If you grow tired of the fight, then stop fighting. But myself, and the handful of people who firmly believe permanent removal of a prominent feature in a future release is a MAJOR mistake. I can tolerate it for a patch. But come 6.1, I'd better be completing some quest and unlocking flight, cause I have NO problem taking my generous hobby wallet to another MMO. I will find a game that ADDs features, and doesn't GUT the expansion for a theory.

There is the ability to fly to all of the Pet Battle Tamers (in WoD)
    Your ground mount will get you there.

There is the ability to fly up to the spires in Arak (in WoD)

They will be so much more of a spectacle from the ground. Flying to the top spoils the awe factor.

There is the ability to fly off to grind rep (in WoD)
    Your ground mount can be used for that too.

There is the ability to fly to dailies (in WoD)
    No dailies in WoD sorry.

There is the ability to fly off and explore the zones from a bird's eye view (in WoD)

Exploring and birds eye view doesn't go hand in hand. Exploring is done at a ground level exclusively.